Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th August 2012, 04:48 AM
satimis Offline

linuxfirefox
Seeking advice on selecting HD

Hi all,

I'm prepared to buy a 2T HD for home use. I have been running WD Caviar Black series for sometimes, having full confidence on its performance and quality. However on searching I found Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB Barracuda offering much better price, very interesting.

Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB Barracuda SV35.5 SATA3 6Gb/s /64MB HDD (7x24 Digital Video) HK$ 968

Specification
=============
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...9/product.html

WD Caviar Black 2002FAEX 2TB SATA3/64MB HDD HK$ 1380

WD Black
SATA Hard Drives
Maximum performance for power computing
http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...emeID.30153100

Could you please shed me some light on selecting them? Is the quality of "Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB Barracuda" reliable? What about its performance vs WD Caviar Black 2002FAEX 2TB?

TIA

B.R.
satimis
Old 18th August 2012, 06:28 PM
lightman47 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Seeking advice on selecting HD

While this doesn't specifically answer your question, it might be worth noting that these drives MUST be kept cool. I lost a number of all brands of them - until I bought a cooler case w/fans. Am now getting great life out of the WDs and Seagates I have. Previously, I'd get anywhere between get 3-9 months.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:41 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Seeking advice on selecting HD

What do you want to do with it?

There is not much point in buying a fast HDD for "home use". These buggers are rather noisy, use a lot of electricity and convert most of it into heat like lightman said.

What kind of motherboard or sata host adapter do you have? Does it support drives larger than 2 TiB?

For optimum performance it would probably be better to install the operating system and your favourite programs and files on a (small) SSD. Then you could use any "slow" drive for your large files collections like the Caviar Green series.

The Caviar "Red" drives have a higher data density and therefore are a little bit faster and use even less power than the "Green" drives, but unfortunately they are optimized for RAID.

Tags
advice, seeking, selecting