Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th August 2012, 11:26 PM
that guy 1990 Offline

linuxfirefox
fixing fedora/removing

h j

Last edited by that guy 1990; 14th August 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:55 PM
that guy 1990 Offline

linuxfirefox
help removing fedora

i have a bricked fedora 15(cannot run it, im stuck on a grub screen) and windows 7 as a dual boot. fedora is my primary boot but i cannot access windows 7 since fedora is bricked. my plan is to remove fedora 15 and run my windows 7 but i dont know how to do so. also i would like to not lose any of my old data from before on windows 7.

so anybody please help me out and give me some options because as of now my laptop cannot function(except using liveusb creator).

much thanks in advance
Old 14th August 2012, 12:37 AM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera
Re: help removing fedora

Get to the Windows RE (Recovery Environment) and then you can try these commands from a command prompt.

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /rebuildbcd

This last command should find your windows installation and ask if you want to add it to the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) file. Choose yes to add it if it finds the installation.

That should at least get you back to a bootable windows installation.
Old 14th August 2012, 01:59 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

windows_7firefox

I'm not a windows expert but once you've sorted out the boot problems I'd suggest downloading Systemrescue and ripping it to a cd as a live iso. You can then use the live cd (you may need to change the boot order in the bios to do this so that your dvd boots before your hard-drive) to make use of gparted. This lovely piece of software will enable you to claim back your linux partitions and make them NTFS that windows can see and use. Please make sure that you back up your files first though so that the chance of data loss is minimized.

Here is a link for systemrescue: http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

This link provides all the instructions on how to burn the iso and use Gparted as well as all the other interesting aspects of this useful distro and I'd recommend it as highly useful even to a hard-core Windows user.

Last edited by Penguinclaw; 14th August 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 14th August 2012, 04:09 PM
that guy 1990 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpierce View Post
Get to the Windows RE (Recovery Environment) and then you can try these commands from a command prompt.

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /rebuildbcd

This last command should find your windows installation and ask if you want to add it to the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) file. Choose yes to add it if it finds the installation.

That should at least get you back to a bootable windows installation.
how do i get to windows re? i cant access my windows or fedora at all so i dont know how to do this
Old 14th August 2012, 10:40 PM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera

From a Windows Installation DVD.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:49 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Since you are using windows 7, here is something for fixing the bootloader - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html

Tags
fedora, fedora or removing, fixing, removing