Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2017, 08:19 PM
netniru56 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Is this a joke?

I started experimenting with Linux around 97-98. I tried many distributions and had mixed emotions about Linux. I enjoyed working with it but the never ending problems made me frustrated.

I stopped using Linux a few years ago when power management disappeared after kernel 2.6. When a new kernel came out I gave it a try only to find out that it still overheats, still barely usable. I dropped Linux around version 3.3.

So now I decided to get back into it and wanted to through Fedora on some 60GB of empty space on my Windows drive. I simply couldn't get it to recognize the free space. For now, I gave up.

I stole a spare 250 BG harddrive from my wife's computer and installed it in mine, deleted all the partitions and left only free space on it, then proceeded to install Fedora on this second drive, at this time successfully.

So, I happily booted into my brand new Fedora and stared at that blank screen. I found the Activities drop down menu and found almost nothing in it. I found the Settings icon and there was almost nothing under it. I couldn't even set a screen saver. There is simple NOTHING on this system that is usable. Sure, I can open the browser and browse the web, that is if I don't mind that I can't set a default zoom on Firefox even after installing Add Ons. On Windows it's no problem.

I started looking for a command prompt or xterm or something. Oddly, there was nothing. So, I can't modify any settings and I can't even open a command prompt. This is Linux, right? I decided to add Windows back in my boot menu. Problem is, it's not possible, with the extremely limited settings (btw, I did make my ID an administrator during install).

I always knew that Linux developers live on some distant planet all by themselves and are totally out of touch with their users, however this has exceeded all my previous frustrations. I have never seen an OS that was as thoroughly useless as this one. It's worse than Chrome OS. You can't do anything with this piece of garbage. You can stare at the screen and reboot it sometimes. I have never seen anything as bad as this cr4p.

So, I rebooted on my Windows recovery disk and ran the commands to fix the MBR. To my surprise I still booted Fedora.

I went to BIOS to change the EFI settings but I couldn't change anything. Fedora was good in one thing and one thing only: to cripple my Windows. You know... the OS that works.

So, I managed to manually boot into Windows 10 and started deleting the Linux partitions. Of course I couldn't delete the EFI partition. I read some more, ran diskpart and deleted it manually, after which I was able to boot Windows again.

I created a single partition where Linux used to be and formatted it for Windows. I am done with Linux. Fedora is a joke at the very best, and I am trying to be nice.
Old 19th May 2017, 08:31 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Is this a joke?

moved to Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:12 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Since F25's alphas, Ananconda seems to be getting worse at recognizing partitions. But you might try any non RedHat based Linux and have better luck. When I first had the problem, it seemed to only have problems with legacy partition schemes where a UFS (BSD) partition had ever existed.

Actually, if you put it on an empty machine, Fedora is one of the better ones in hardware recognition. But, if you are still thinking of playing with Linux, none of the other distributions seem to have this partition recognition problem. Ubuntu or similar might be a better choice to get something you can play with up and running quickly. But yeah, it's not yet the year of the Linux desktop.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:31 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by netniru56 View Post
I am done with Linux.
Good luck!
OS: Fedora 25 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 20th May 2017, 01:00 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome

This person is a troll. If he was real, he would have mentioned that the live version was ok and he would have stated how he created his install device.

I also get the feeling that the person is very angry all the time.
To the angry person, provide details to show what you did to create your install media.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 20th May 2017, 02:44 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

netniru56,

It is a joke and were laughing our a**** off that you didn't get the punch line.... go back to Windows if you WannaCry.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:02 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
This person is a troll. If he was real, he would have mentioned that the live version was ok and he would have stated how he created his install device.

I also get the feeling that the person is very angry all the time.
To the angry person, provide details to show what you did to create your install media.
no troll, just a strong disliking of GNOME 3. the problem is Workstation is regarded as the only Fedora desktop by some because of the way it is marketed. So people don't find the spins page where you can find windows user friendly desktops like Cinnamon. If he'd booted with Cinnamon or KDE my guess would be no rants about not being able to load or find anything. Workstation is a joke as far as new Linux users are concerned. The real punchline is Ubuntu adopting the same UI as their default interface too.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 20th May 2017, 02:01 PM
TruboXL Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Talking Re: Is this a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netniru56 View Post
I am done with Linux. Fedora
Fixed for you.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:02 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Then I suppose that the man expected a desktop to be covered with an icon representing every single program that was installed. On a new Fedora workstation installation, the first boot comes up with "All", as opposed to "Frequent". If it doesn't, a Request to Gnome to consider that option.

I have xfce and Gnome 3.x installed. Sometimes I use the first, other times the second. What I do mostly, in recent times is browse the web, edit some technical documents for some developers, and I do some programming in C and CPP,

50% of my time on Fedora is in terminal mode. That could be the reason why I have no preferences between xfce, mate, enlighten, gnome and plain terminal mode. I browse, read the software/hardware / political news, and enjoy what software developers can create that I am able to enjoy.

And yes, Gnome developers are sometimes big irritants, when they disable some feature, without documenting or providing an alternative.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 21st May 2017, 06:20 AM
jpenguin Offline

I don't care for gnome 3 either, I use cinnamon- kde is nice too. I hope the OP's goal was to sound like an ass, they accomplished that

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2017, 08:37 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

okay that's enough folks.

people are entitled to voice their own opinions about what went wrong when they tried Fedora or used Fedora. it doesn't make them an ass or a troll because they don't understand something that has changed so drastically since they last tried an operating system near enough 20 years ago. lets face it, anaconda automatic partitioning does not work for 100% of all people with another operating system installed. additionally grub2 has been known to screw up the windows boot entry without being patched with a newer version in both F24 and F25.

what happened here is the perfect storm as far as the OP was concerned, so don't be so judgemental and abusive. we are here to help people and not fight.

we were all new to anaconda, GRUB2-EFI, the EFI shim with it's foibles (guarantee that's what happened) and GNOME 3 at some point too and have complained about some aspect of them times too.

netniru56 - If you are still reading this forum and are interested in really getting Fedora working and learning how it works these days, we can help you out if you are willing to work with us to do so.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Closed Thread