Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2012, 11:38 PM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfirefox
Single click registered as double click in F17

Hi ,
Ever since I upgraded to Fedora 17 from Fedora 14, single clicking my mouse has become very difficult. Single click registers as a double click 70% of times. All the settings that I see have to do with delay between 2 clicks to be considered a double click, but here I am not making 2 clicks. One simple click registers as double click.

I don't have any other mouse to try, but the same mouse was working fine in Fedora 14, so I don't think it is a mouse hardware issue.

It is x86_64. Gnome / KDE both have this issue, though display manager is GDM in both the cases.

Any pointers highly appreciated.
thanks

Last edited by bingoUV; 24th July 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 25th July 2012, 01:18 AM
MauserM98 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Single click registered as double click in F17

In KDE single click is default for opening and executing.
If you want to change that you must change that in input devices - mouse settings. And change there on mouse settings what you want it to be.
Old 25th July 2012, 01:21 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

In Gnome, go to your /home, then "edit"> "preferences" > "behavior tab" and select the single-click.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 25th July 2012, 01:41 AM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
In Gnome, go to your /home, then "edit"> "preferences" > "behavior tab" and select the single-click.
To clarify, when I click once on my mouse with my finger, the OS thinks it is a double click. With your solution, my problem will get aggravated. E.g. I click on a PDF, once. OS thinks I double-clicked. So it will open the PDF twice.

I want a mouse hardware / X / kernel level solution that makes the Fedora 17 OS realize that it is a single click when I click once with my finger on my mouse.

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserM98 View Post
In KDE single click is default for opening and executing.
If you want to change that you must change that in input devices - mouse settings. And change there on mouse settings what you want it to be.
I know that in KDE, single click on file manager will open / execute. But when I click once with my finger on my mouse, Fedora 17 OS thinks I double-clicked. So in KDE, by default, most of the times my files open / execute twice when I click the mouse with my finger just once.

Hope it is clear this time. Maybe the problem is so weird, I don't have the correct language to describe it.
Old 25th July 2012, 02:13 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfirefox

This Ubuntu bug has been active since 2009, maybe you can find some useful info in it.

dd_wizard
Old 25th July 2012, 09:07 PM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_wizard View Post
This Ubuntu bug has been active since 2009, maybe you can find some useful info in it.

dd_wizard
Thanks a lot dd_wizard. It was inconceivable to me that changing hardware could fix this, but I borrowed someone's mouse and with that mouse problem doesn't exist any more. Though, from the Ubuntu bug, it is clear that specific hardware doesn't matter too much, but just in case,

1. My old mouse that had the double click problem - Logitech M100
2. New borrowed mouse that doesn't have this problem - Dell MS111-P
Old 27th July 2012, 10:31 AM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok, so the mouse is no good on Windows either (Windows 7, x86_64). Same problem of double clicks on windows too. Need to throw away the mouse, I guess.

Fedora 14 had too good a mouse driver, Fedora 17's is not so good, about the same as Windows driver.
Old 27th August 2012, 08:19 PM
murat01 Offline

linuxchrome

I'm having the same double-click issue with Logitech M505 wireless mouse after migration to Fedora 17 (64-bit version) from Fedora 15. I can also confirm that Microsoft optical IntelliMouse v1.0A doesn't generate double-clicks on Fedora 17. Whatever hardware problem it is, the Fedora 15 mouse driver was able to handle that.

Tags
click, double, f17, registered, single