Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2009, 06:06 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
How to play DVD movies - libdvdcss and all that

After web research, I gather that playing DVD movies on FC11-64 involves installing the current version of libdvdcss. (I don't understand if something that is "Blu-ray" has different issues, but I don't have anything in that format yet.)

I think libdvdcss can function as a "plugin" that is automatically detected by FC11's default movie player.

I'm less certain about the best way to get the current version of libdvdcss. Should I get it from the livna.org repository? That involves adding livna.org to my repositories.

I might eventually figure out how to make a file for livna.org to put in /etc/yum.repos.d. The example in the unofficial fedora FAQ:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
shows running the rpm command:
Does installing those packages create some files for repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d ? Is the example up to date for Fedora Core 11 64 bit?
Old 6th December 2009, 07:29 AM
stoat Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashirosgt

Does installing those packages create some files for repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d ? Is the example up to date for Fedora Core 11 64 bit?
Hello tashirosgt,

Those URLs are still good. Installing those rpms will create the repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d and put their gpg keys in /etc/pki/rpm-gpg.
Old 6th December 2009, 07:37 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Its all there from Mjmwired, step by step:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...l#mediaplayers
Old 6th December 2009, 08:02 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thank you stoat and marcblevins. I was able to get Mplayer to work and am watching the opening scenes of "It Happened At Nightmare Inn". ( $1 at Dollar Tree. I may not watch this movie all the way through.)

Tags
dvd, libdvdcss, movies, play