Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2009, 02:47 PM
stankuli Offline

evince not print pdf document

i have gotten a pdf document on a CD which i need to print out. a program called evince is the default document viewer that came with my installation of fedora. it displays the document on the monitor just fine, all 152 pages of it. when i click on print, the printer dialog box appears with my printer listed as a destination, but when i click for it to print, the dialog box closes but nothing ever comes out of the printer. this happens when i tell print setup to print the entire document or just the current page. i have updated evince with yum, but still the same behavior.

any notion how to get this document viewer to activate the printer which it seems to know exists? other programs like gimp can print successfully, but nothing else in my fedora seems to know how to page through a pdf document.
stan
Old 16th July 2009, 05:42 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

The document might be password-protected (owner password). Check your private messages
Old 16th July 2009, 08:42 PM
stankuli Offline

CD says it is available for printing

i will try the password cracker you recommended, but the advertising that comes with the CD says that the pdf files are suitable for printing. i would hope that if printing were prohibited that evince would put up a suitable notice of this refusal. this job just refuses to print after the print dialog box closes.

also, i was able to display the first page in gimp and print that, but gimp will not page through the other 151 pages in the pdf. would not gimp refuse to print in the same manner if there were a password problem here?
stan
Old 16th July 2009, 08:46 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I clearly recall problems in the past with evince and document printing. You can always install one of the many other PDF reader utilities available from the standard Fedora repos, such as: kpdf, xpdf, epdfview, AdobeReader, etc., etc., etc.

V

Tags
document, evince, pdf, print