Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th November 2012, 10:18 AM
evili Offline

linuxfirefox
Gnome Shell only works when using external monitor

Hello,

I have an Toshiba Tecra R950 with F17 x86_64. At work I have it connected to an exteranl LCD monitor trhough the Display Port and I have NO problem with this configuration (dual monitor, closing the laptop and using only the external etc.). I also connect it to a USB keyboard and mouse.

This laptop comes with a Radeon HD 7570M and I am using the Xorg radeon driver.

Ironically, when I boot without external monitor (using just the LCD/LED screen) the GNOME Shell crashes on login with the "Something have went wrong" message. I do not see any relevant message either in syslog or Xorg.0.log

Other environments (like Cinnamon and LXDE) work properly in both environments.

Could anybody help me, please? Where should I look for information? Which files/logs should I look for?

TIA.

Cheers,

Evili
Old 24th December 2012, 10:15 AM
evili Offline

linuxfirefox
Gnome session crashes after the printer server times out

[IT WAS: Gnome Shell only works when using external monitor]

Hi,

I will reply to myself.

It has been loike an Agatha Christie's novel: too much false trails, too many suspects. Finally it was not the external screen, the background picture or the many startup apps fired by gnome-settings.

The real difference was the printer server we use at job (and it's not available at home)!

At job we have all Linux clients with th CUPS server disabled and the following content in /etc/cups/client.conf :

ServerName printers.our.doma.in

At home it made a timeout and it crashed the gnome-settings daemon and so the whole gnome-session/gnome-shell.

I think this is a bug of GNOME/Fedora: the user session shouldn't crash because there is no printer server!

Cheers,

Evili

Tags
crash, external, external display, gnome, gnome-shell, laptop, monitor, radeon, shell, works