Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2017, 09:06 PM
JRBJhawk Offline

linuxchrome
Multiple browsers crash on Fedora 25

Since installing Fedora 25, I have had trouble with browsers except for Firefox. I had been using Chrome as a secondary browser because of its speed, but it aborts for no apparent reason. Sometimes it happens immediately; sometimes after a few minutes; sometimes after af few hours. I have tried Opera and Vivaldi with the same results, as well as the beta version of Chrome. Midori doesn't crash, but it doesn't meet some needs I have.

I'm running XFCE desktop; uname -a returns:

Linux localhost.localdomain 4.8.6-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 1 12:36:38 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 9th January 2017, 10:43 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBJhawk View Post
Has anyone else had this experience?
Yes. I did a system upgrade from F24 > F25 on both my HP laptop and desktop PC. I pretty much had been using Google-chrome-stable on both machines without any problem on either prior to moving to F25. Both systems use the Xfce DE.

On the laptop, chrome continues to run without any issue, but on the desktop PC, it started the crashing as you describe. To the point I've resorted to using Firefox on the desktop machine. I haven't been able to figure out why chrome runs fine on the laptop but not the desktop.

I've ruled out a memory issue as nothing else on the desktop PC that requires lots of memory has any problem, just chrome.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Last edited by PabloTwo; 9th January 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10th January 2017, 12:59 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: Multiple browsers crash on Fedora 25

Should have also mentioned that I tried disabling extensions in chrome, but that didn't help. Since the move to F24 < F25 was fairly recent, I still have two F24 issued kernels onboard and am currently booted into the earliest kernel (4.8.13-200.fc24.x86_64) to see if that makes any difference here on the desktop PC. So far so good, but need more time running chrome on this kernel before making any conclusions.

Edit: So far, over an hour of uptime with chrome running and getting usage all the while on the 4.8.13-200.fc24.x86_64 kernel with no freeze ups. Looking very promising. There's a new kernel sitting in updates-testing. Interested to see if that kernel fixes chrome issue on this platform.

Edit2: @ 1:26 uptime... chrome froze on the earlier kernel. So, apparently, not specifically a kernel issue either.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 10th January 2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10th January 2017, 02:35 AM
computersavvy Offline

linuxchrome

I use chrome-stable on my F25 machine and in the last month so far have had had no problems. I use gnome.
Old 10th January 2017, 02:44 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The latest version of google-chrome-stable: 55.0.2883.87, I installed on f25 worked but failed to show the menu from the top right hand corner when clicked on, so I downloaded an earlier version: 51.0.2704.106, which worked as expected.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:58 PM
sdlor Offline

linuxchrome

Hi All,.. (Fed 25, Mate Desktop, 4.9.3-200.fc25.x86_64).. Am having a similar problem with Google Chrome (Version 55.0.2883.87 (64-bit).
Sometimes I simply click on link in the browser, then Chrome closes and the OS logs me off! If I have a terminal and/or an editor (Caja, in this case) open, they get closed.
Never have seen this happen on any PC, with any OS or any browser. Sure would appreciate anybody's input on this one.
Thanks in Advance..
Old 27th April 2017, 12:05 AM
dreamcarrior Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have similar issues with multiple web browsers.

Google chrome has not been working since upgrades to F25. I have [17467:17503:0426/174300.781823:FATAL:memory.cc(22)] Out of memory. size=131072
Aborted (core dumped) error messages all the time. Using top or free to check system memory returns enough memory to run google chrome.

Firefox is not working as expected as it shows blank/white pages. I have to start firefox in safe-mode and refresh my history every time to make it working normally.

Gnome-web shows the same white/blank pages like firefox, and I still cannot make Gnome-Web to work.

Qupzilla does not even run, it crashes all the time.

Otter-browser works out of box, but I have issues to watch youtube video in full screen.

Midori works fine.

I am now running 4.10.11-200.fc25.x86_64, and still nothing changes.

I hope these issues can be solved soon.

Anyone else has similar problems?

Last edited by dreamcarrior; 27th April 2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 16th June 2017, 11:06 PM
smartypants Offline

linuxfedorachrome

I had similar crashes on my desktop.

Running Chrome or Firefox causee crashes everytime. I cleaned all connectiors, tested memory, removed peripherals, etc. all to no avail. But I could run Windows 10 without any crashes.

So I googled and searched and finally was pointed to the Nouveau graphics driver. I replaced it with the nVidia proprietary driver (for GeForce GT 240) and have not had a crash since.

It's been several days without a crash . I'm convinced the crashes were caused by the Nouveau driver.

Tags
browsers, crash, fedora, multiple