Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th January 2017, 06:51 PM
stovey Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Multi-head video cards compatible with F25 right now?

Are there video cards supporting at least 3 monitors that are known to be fully supported now under Wayland, preferably without a proprietary driver?

My situation, more specifically: I'm using Fedora 25 on a personal laptop and am pleased with it in every respect. I had been running it on my work desktop too, but recently got access to a Quadro 420 card to drive three 1920x1200 displays, and was unable to get it work either with nouveau or Nvidia's proprietary driver. Nouveau actually almost worked, just had refresh problems, but there was one roadblock after another with the nvidia driver. Finally a colleague suggested trying Centos 7, which I've been able to use Nvidia's driver with if I stick with a lightweight WM (it freezes sometimes under gnome - no big deal, I can work with fluxbox).

The third monitor is a big help for the sort of work I do, so I don't want to give that up. Still, I'd prefer to get the machine back on Fedora and use a standard driver, and will order a different vid card if I can be sure it will facilitate that.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:58 AM
Dutchy Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Multi-head video cards compatible with F25 right now?

I don't think I ever had issues with my three monitors (open source Nvidia and AMD drivers) although I generally only use two screens at a time. I don't know how well Wayland will handle it.
Old 10th January 2017, 06:49 PM
stovey Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Multi-head video cards compatible with F25 right now?

Figured out a scheme for now to support exactly 3 monitors: some Dell machines have a multi-display option that allow use of the onboard VGA adaptor along with a PCI-e card. (The BIOS menu insists it's only for Windows 7, hee hee.)

Enabling that and using a dual-head AMD RV516 card makes 3x1920x1200 possible. Not gaming-caliber video by any means, but it works in gnome/wayland without any user effort beyond deciding which cable goes where.

Tags
cards, compatible, f25, multihead, video