Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st January 2017, 07:54 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Outlook, Gmail and Yahoo - nothing but trouble

Outlook is being dumb. I can delete multiple emails from my inbox but currently I cannot delete anything that I've found via the search feature. What a disaster. I've used Chrome and Edge yet it doesn't work. At the time of writing I cannot open an email from my sent folder - tech support will say clear your cache, but I already clear my cache 12x a day and switch browsers every 20 minutes (just in case it's the browsers fault!) I have my own email service but I never know whether I can afford to re-new my web host subscription each year. In New Zealand you can't get much disk space on a server unless you want to pay $300 per year. Also a related issue, a friend of mine was applying for administration jobs and he attached his resume individually per each application email. Something strange happened - his cover letter always got emailed through but his resume never arrived. This happened with multiple emails. The only way for my friend to send his resume is by sending it from his Yahoo account, then forwarding that email from Gmail.

I got a smartphone last week and I have frustrations with that too - you can't uninstall any bloatware! Tech companies are the worst.
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:36 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Outlook, Gmail and Yahoo - nothing but trouble

Here are your problems...

1: Outlook
2: Gmail
3: Yahoo
4: Smartphone (Oxymoron if I ever saw one)

Change those things, and you are all set
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:06 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

the bloatware supposedly "brings the price of the phone down to the consumer" (complete horse crap)

bloatware is likely to increase as MS are entering deals with Android phone manufacturers to bundle apps as well now.

I have been using cyanogenmod until recently and will carry on using lineage os as and when they get the infrastructure up and running. that is bloat free but the only proviso is you have to unlock the bootloader of the phone (and root it temporarily to install the custom ROM) which renders the warranty nul and void.

as for email clients, thunderbird is your saviour in windows. I use it with GMail and my Outlook account (formerly known as hotmail and live mail) via IMAP. I used to use it with Yahoo! via imap as well but have ditched Yahoo! because I don't have any trust in them to keep my account safe any longer.

in linux I use claws for the same. logging in to a web page to read and compose emails is too much of a faff.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:17 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
bloatware is likely to increase as MS are entering deals with Android phone manufacturers to bundle apps as well now.
Yep my new phone came with Outlook pre-installed. We can conclude that prices won't come down and there certainly isn't any competition between Microsoft and Google, only collusion. Just like the Apple-Windows friendliness where you can get Office on Mac.

Quote:
I have been using cyanogenmod until recently and will carry on using lineage os as and when they get the infrastructure up and running. that is bloat free but the only proviso is you have to unlock the bootloader of the phone (and root it temporarily to install the custom ROM) which renders the warranty nul and void.
It's worth doing provided that your phone is compatible.

----------------------------------------

It seems there is a way around the problem I described. A Microsoft engineer emailed me to explain the bug: you cannot deleted emails when they are displayed in search results, because they are from separate folders (funny because I only wanted to delete 8x emails that were all from my inbox). So apparently Outlook doesn't trust the user. You can however use a search result, then select an individual email and click SWEEP -> delete all email from xxxxxxxxx sender -> from inbox. That will clean your inbox pretty fast. Outlook is still bloated though, I can't open outlook.com from a netbook (Intel Atom). As you might expect, my personal email account (web host plan) loads Round Cube very quickly.
Old 3rd January 2017, 07:16 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:

The Android phone manufacturers need to tell MS to go jump in the lake. Everything MS touches turns to crap.