Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 25th December 2016, 09:52 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Unhappy The King is Dead, Long Live the King? - CyanogenMod forked to Lineage

Cyanogen Inc. have now decided to pull the plug on the infrastructure behind CyanogenMod despite having previously stated they would continue to support the development of the community driven OS. Founder Steve Kondik seems has left Cyngn as well, so there was little chance the Mod Project was going to survive after that.

Consequently it now has a new name (Lineage - see the github link at the end of the article), and very soon hopefully new infrastructure to continue the project with.

It will be interesting to see which developers move to the new project and therefore which phones are still supported. I'm hopeful mine will be but you never know. The developers work on ROMs in their free-time and don't get paid for their efforts.

The forum is already read-only and the last nightly build using the Cyngn servers will be delivered on 31st December 2016 if submitted by developers.

https://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/a-fork-in-the-road

EDIT - I'm grabbing the last snapshot build (13.0 with latest google security patches) before that disappears too. On 31st December if the last nightly (14.1 still a few features missing) is no better than what I have today I guess I'll be going over to the now completely unsupported snapshot. It's still better than the manufacturer's stock ROM.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 27th December 2016, 10:36 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: The King is Dead, Long Live the King? - CyanogenMod forked to Lineage

New link for the project. The site is under construction but there is an announcement scheduled for sometime today.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:47 PM
cheerio158 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Wow!!

Thanks for sharing!

I (used to) build and install CyanogenMod ROMs for my three tablets and 2 phones.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:57 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio158 View Post
Wow!!

Thanks for sharing!

I (used to) build and install CyanogenMod ROMs for my three tablets and 2 phones.
yeah, it was the last thing I wanted to be reading on 25th December. However, all is seemingly not lost.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:09 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I'm having a go at building LineageOS from the github source code today. All the guides are based around ubuntu so I'm running the process in a fresh install of LM Serena. I couldn't find all the appropriate equivalent packages so it was easier to just do that rather than fart around on a wild goose hunt. Since it's the first attempt I want to follow the guide (replacing the old CM link with LineageOS github) verbatim.

Waiting for curl to download all the repo files required is like watching paint dry.

There are only a few devices with 14.1 builds available at present and I doubt the developers will bother uploading any 13.0. It's going to be interesting to see if they have replaced all the logos in the ROM yet. I like the current logo they have picked for the rebranded OS though.
Old 7th January 2017, 03:07 PM
cheerio158 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
I'm having a go at building LineageOS from the github source code today. All the guides are based around ubuntu so I'm running the process in a fresh install of LM Serena. I couldn't find all the appropriate equivalent packages so it was easier to just do that rather than fart around on a wild goose hunt. Since it's the first attempt I want to follow the guide (replacing the old CM link with LineageOS github) verbatim.

Waiting for curl to download all the repo files required is like watching paint dry.

There are only a few devices with 14.1 builds available at present and I doubt the developers will bother uploading any 13.0. It's going to be interesting to see if they have replaced all the logos in the ROM yet. I like the current logo they have picked for the rebranded OS though.
Go for it! I did.

The boot animation is the default Android.
Old 7th January 2017, 05:25 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

No dice, I think the falcon repos aren't fully functional yet after all that. The setup procedure went fine and I went through it all again twice after the dependency errors came up during build. There was nothing amiss as far as following the instructions. I extracted the proprietary blobs from the CM14 ROM as necessary and made sure they were in the correct locations. I looked the messages up on the xda-developers forum and checked what was mentioned but it didn't help. Breakfast, brunch and lunch left me feeling a bit bloated though

So I've flashed back the CM13 snapshot released in December because the last CM14 nightly released on Christmas Day was unstable. Now it's a case of waiting to see if my device will be supported properly by the developer who used to maintain it. I think it will as the last activity on the github folders for it was 5 days ago.