Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th November 2016, 09:04 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 25 - no WiFi

I picked up a Netgear N300 USB wifi adapter today at Staples. $35 plus tax. It's not the low-profile style I want but its what they had. Such is the measure of my desire to have wifi on my Yoga 3 Pro. I should also mention that this involved breaking one of my personal Prime Directives, namely not going to any store on Black Friday.

The N300 sticks out about 3/4 of an inch - not bad, but I will probably replace it with one of the super low-profile models when I can get to BestBuy or Office Depot. Those stores are both located in a mall near me and that's a no-fly zone today. But I digress. The Netgear N300 worked the second I plugged it into a USB port. I only had to select my home network from the list of available networks in range. No drivers needed to be downloaded, no programs needed to be installed. As simple as the wired C5 Create wired network adapter - just plug and go.

I'm connecting to a 5GHz wifi network from an Apple Airport Extreme base station, using the 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

My quest for getting the internal Broadcom 4352 wireless card working is not over. Oh, far from it. That is now my unicorn. My white whale. I don't know when/if there will be a solution that works for everyone, but I will keep banging away on the problem.
Old 25th November 2016, 10:01 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

The fact that it's 5 GHZ network may also be a problem. Many cards don't support 5GHZ. (You can check, if the system sees the card, with

iwlist wlan0 (or whatever the name is) freq

That might be deprecated, if so, you can use iw wlan0 phy |more

and look for the frequencies section.

The iwlist is part of the wireless-tools package and iw is a package, i.e., dnf -y install iw
Old 26th November 2016, 01:13 AM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I borrowed a Linksys AC1200 to try since I now know I can get wifi with an adapter. Unfortunately it looks like the Linksys is damaged and won't even turn on. I'm not happy with the speed of the Netgear N300 and it seems to drop the connection randomly.

While the Netgear functions, it's not good enough for me to recommend it to anybody. I think I'll order the low-profile TP Link model I wanted in the first place from somebody online.
Old 26th November 2016, 03:29 AM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

While the Netgear N300 does indeed support 5GHz, connectivity is better on 2.4GHz directly from the Verizon FiOS router. The Airport base stations at 5GHz provide a faster connection with most devices, but this particular adapter doesn't take advantage of that extra speed. As long as I have working wifi I'm not in a rush to get a better adapter so I ordered a low-profile one from Amazon - the Glam Hobby AC600. Very highly rated and it got great reviews on a 2016 review site. I know, "Glam Hobby", right? Sounds hokey. But between the reviews and the $15 price I took a shot. Said the Zen Master; "We shall see..."
Old 26th November 2016, 12:31 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for testing for the rest of us. I don't know if the Edimax that I usually recommend does 5GHZ or not (I have them at work, right now, not needing them here.)

Last edited by smr54; 27th November 2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 26th November 2016, 10:59 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I wish I could have tested a working Linksys AC1600. It was highly rated by several sites, earning the best rating of any adapters. It sticks out about 3" when plugged into a USB port, but if it was a spectacular performer as the ratings suggested it might be worth it.
Old 29th November 2016, 09:37 PM
pogoloo Offline

macossafari

So what is the final verdict on this? @ras47: are you just using Netgear N300 then?

I have exactly the same issue though my wireless device is different (Intel 8086:24fb, iwlwifi). It seems that it requires drivers of 9000+ series (e.g. "iwlwifi-9000----.ucode" and likewise) which do not yet exist for Fedora (or Ubuntu). It seems my hardware is a little ahead of its time. [My laptop model just released last month!]

So I tried a bunch of USB wifi adapters [such as TP-Link Archer T2UH] but nothing seems to work at all. If there is a definitive adapter that works for sure, I am willing to invest up to $50.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:06 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoloo View Post
So what is the final verdict on this? @ras47: are you just using Netgear N300 then?

I have exactly the same issue though my wireless device is different (Intel 8086:24fb, iwlwifi). It seems that it requires drivers of 9000+ series (e.g. "iwlwifi-9000----.ucode" and likewise) which do not yet exist for Fedora (or Ubuntu). It seems my hardware is a little ahead of its time. [My laptop model just released last month!]

So I tried a bunch of USB wifi adapters [such as TP-Link Archer T2UH] but nothing seems to work at all. If there is a definitive adapter that works for sure, I am willing to invest up to $50.
For now I am stuck with the Netgear N300 for wifi. I continue to try installing drivers from other versions of Fedora but nothing has given me internal wifi. The adapter from Glam Hobby was not made by them - they were just a reseller through Amazon. It arrived d.o.a. and has been sent back. That's unfortunate because it was the low-profile design I want. I'll stick with the Netgear N300 until I can get my mitts on a TP Link adapter. I've heard that TP Link is robust and works with Broadcom network cards.
Old 1st December 2016, 05:45 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I just ran $ sudo dnf upgrade and my computer received 157 module updates or installs. After doing this I notice that my Netgear N300 USB wifi adapter performs much better. It connects faster and maintains the connection far better than before. I had (foolishly) hoped that maybe these updates/installs would enable the internal Broadcom wireless card, but alas, no.

I am connecting to the regular 2.4GHz network directly from my FiOS router instead of the 5GHz network created by Apple Airport Extreme base stations. 5GHz is generally faster and more robust but this Netgear adapter doesn't seem to like it in spite of purportiing to support the 5GHz standard.
Old 1st December 2016, 07:11 PM
pogoloo Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Thanks for the update! I also upgraded to the latest kernel, but alas, the wifi still does not work. The latest firmware drivers are still not available, though my guess is it should not take too long (hopefully by the end of this year) before it's released.

As for the Netgear N300 USB wifi adapter, I could not find it in any of the local stores here, so I guess I will have to order online. I can see the reviews are pretty good, and knowing that it works for you gives me more hope!

Cheers.
Old 1st December 2016, 09:59 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

The current Netgear N300 USB (WNA3100) is listed as a 2.4Ghz only device. So it is working at full capacity at least. If someone is listing them as supporting 5Ghz then it's false advertising

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...#tab-techspecs
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 2nd December 2016, 03:36 AM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
The current Netgear N300 USB (WNA3100) is listed as a 2.4Ghz only device. So it is working at full capacity at least. If someone is listing them as supporting 5Ghz then it's false advertising

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...#tab-techspecs
You're right! My 5GHz network is much stronger than the 2.4GHz network so the N300 keeps trying to join it. That's why the connection seems so flaky. I'll be on the 2.4 and have online access, but then it jumps to the 5 network and then I have no connection. Moral of the story: never trust hand-written signs at Staples, nor the assurances of the sales rep. Always read the label on the box itself.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoloo View Post
Thanks for the update! I also upgraded to the latest kernel, but alas, the wifi still does not work. The latest firmware drivers are still not available, though my guess is it should not take too long (hopefully by the end of this year) before it's released.

As for the Netgear N300 USB wifi adapter, I could not find it in any of the local stores here, so I guess I will have to order online. I can see the reviews are pretty good, and knowing that it works for you gives me more hope!

Cheers.
The Netgear N300 is available on Amazon for $20. I found mine at my local Staples. They had 3 or 4 other USB wifi adapters too. Who'd have thougt?

I think we're stuck waiting for Broadcom to release drivers for Linux for their BWC4352 cards. Maybe Lenovo will get it done. But either way, I don't think it's happening anytime soon.
Old 2nd December 2016, 03:50 AM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

After reading THIS article it seems like we may never get the drivers for the Broadcom wireless card. Apparently it's a licensing issue preventing support for Linux distros.

So, the answer is to spend $40 and buy a replacement internal wifi module. I just placed my order on Amazon and will report back when I have it installed. I ordered the Bplus model on the recommendation of the author of the article above.
Old 2nd December 2016, 03:26 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
You're right! My 5GHz network is much stronger than the 2.4GHz network so the N300 keeps trying to join it. That's why the connection seems so flaky. I'll be on the 2.4 and have online access, but then it jumps to the 5 network and then I have no connection. Moral of the story: never trust hand-written signs at Staples, nor the assurances of the sales rep. Always read the label on the box itself.
I'd suggest changing the SSID of either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band (whichever has fewer devices accessing it because you'll need to re-configure them all afterwards). Most routers enable the user to do that, even the supplied ISP one we got from BT. It stops devices trying to jump between the two like that.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:47 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
I'd suggest changing the SSID of either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band (whichever has fewer devices accessing it because you'll need to re-configure them all afterwards). Most routers enable the user to do that, even the supplied ISP one we got from BT. It stops devices trying to jump between the two like that.
The SSID for the 2.4GHz network is FSMGG (FiOS default)
The SSID for the 5GHz Airport network is 17Ridge 5GHz (my own name)

This is very odd. I show being connected to the 5GHz network but I have a working internet connection. The Netgear USB adapter doesn't support 5GHz and the output from iwconfig shows no internal wifi (the usual, until I get the new internal network card), yet I have a very robust internet connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iwconfig output.png
Views:	41
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	26800  

Last edited by ras47; 2nd December 2016 at 08:24 PM.

Tags
fedora, wifi