Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:24 PM
ras47 Offline

macossafari
Fedora 25 - no WiFi

I installed Fedora 25 Workstation on my Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. Under Network, the only thing available is "Proxy." I want to set up WiFi to connect to my home network (Verizon FiOS) but I'm at a loss for now to proceed. The Y3P doesn't have an ethernet port so any solution would require the use of a flash drive to transfer files downloaded on my MacBook Air.

The Yoga 3 Pro uses the Broadcom 4352 wireless card. I'm a noob but I've used the Terminal before and I'm comfortable with it.
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:33 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 25 - no WiFi

You can often find cheap USB to ethernet dongles. (Although I recommend spending over $10, as the ones cheaper than that tend to be very poor quality.)

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...and-fedora-23/ seems to have an answer though.

Last edited by smr54; 22nd November 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:41 PM
ras47 Offline

macossafari

I was hoping the fix would be something like downloading a driver onto my MacBook, transferring it to a flash drive, and then installing it in Fedora via that flash drive. But with no network connection available unless I buy some crappy dongle (I HATE dongles) I'm dead in the water.

I downloaded a .deb package that I hoped would work. The instructions were to double-click on it to install it, but it just opens into a .gz folder, a .xz folder, and 4 byte "Debian-Binary" document.
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:42 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

A deb file is for Debian. You wold want an rpm. The link I gave suggested going to rpmfusion and installing the kernel-devel and akmod-wl.
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:30 AM
ras47 Offline

macossafari

I was afraid the .deb file wouldn't work. I downloaded rpmfusion and akmod but they would't install. I used the rpm -U command and got error messages with both that "group and user mock build does not exist."

I wish I could copy the Terminal results but without any network connection I can't export anything.
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:05 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Did you try rpm -ivh? The mock does not exist shouldn't really be a problem, but if it is, install mock. You can either use the original image that you used to install mock (and probably fakeroot) or get one of the dongles I originally mentioned, which would probably save a lot of aggravation.
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:35 AM
ras47 Offline

macossafari

I'll get the damn dongle for sure. I just hate having to do it. I should be able to find a more elegant solution, but I'm just not that skilled. I'll be at my local BestBuy tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate your support and I wish I was better able to sort through this stuff. But I WON'T give up!
Old 23rd November 2016, 03:23 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

It's a pain. But even when experienced, you might wind up having an issue, such as if the kernel and kernel-devel packages are out of sync. I've not had to work with Broadcom cards, so don't know the various ins and outs, but, judging from these forums and other places, they can be a pain. I think it's because they have some non-free as in speech binary blobs, so Fedora can't really support them, but I could be completely wrong.

This link also seems to have useful information, there's a step by step guide in there although it's for a different model, so try the earlier link first.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...4312-problems/

You're quite welcome, wish I could be of more help. (I had my own issues with a Yoga2, but at least the wireless, an Intel, was supported by the base Fedora repos)
Old 23rd November 2016, 04:12 AM
ras47 Offline

macossafari

Broadcom sucks - HARD. I see a Dell laptop in my future.

On the plus side, when I used -ivh to install rpmfusion and akmods, I got warnings about mockbuild but it also said "using root" and finished with #########[100%]. Encouraging.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:09 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Yeah, that's what I would have expected, that there's no mock, using root instead. I think most Dells use Broadcom though, don't they? I remember when they first started offering Ubuntu laptops--at the time, they would give the make of wireless card. The Ubuntu ones had an Intel card while the WIndows one had Broadcom.
Old 24th November 2016, 05:16 AM
ras47 Offline

macossafari

I got the USB-to-Ethernet adapter at BestBuy today and it worked the second I plugged it in. I got the J5 Create for $30 instead of a cheaper one. If I bought a crap adapter and it didn't work things would have gotten intense in my house.

I'm still working to get wifi running. The problem is the stupid Broadcom network card and the lack of drivers. When I had Linux Mint installed the wifi worked right off the bat. But the graphics card needed a special driver, which was worse than no wifi. My search continues, but now with an internet connection!
Old 24th November 2016, 08:27 AM
donaldm Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Broadcom sucks - HARD. I see a Dell laptop in my future.

On the plus side, when I used -ivh to install rpmfusion and akmods, I got warnings about mockbuild but it also said "using root" and finished with #########[100%]. Encouraging.
When you mentioned "Broadcom" I immediately thought "oh-oh" although to be fair I do have an old HP dv6000 laptop (about 10 years old) which also has a Broadcom wireless card and I did not have any issues with the installation of Fedora 25.

I think you are best getting a USB WiFi since they are normally very small (less than 1" or 2cm) and are quite cheap. I got mine (TP-LINK TL-WN823N Wireless-N30 Mini USB Adaptor) for $18 AUD ($13.2 USD) for my Core i7 6700 Desktop which I built myself and I have never had any problems.
Old 24th November 2016, 02:28 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Ah, there is always that. I don't know how many USB ports you have (and I never tried with a USB hub, though I should one day. For me the Edimax, currently around $9.00 on Amazon has always been good.
https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-781.../dp/B003MTTJOY

I agree about the USB to eth adapater. My first one was probably 6 bucks, didn't work, the manufacturer said no problem, we'll send another--this happens a lot when buying inexpensive stuff on NewEgg, for example--many of these overseas manufacturers seem to consider replacing defective pieces part of the cost and it's hit or miss if you get a good one. The second one worked, but poorly, and at that point, I got a more expensive one (though somewhat cheaper than yours) that worked with all systems. (The first one didn't work with FreeBSD and was iffy on my wife's Macbook).

Last edited by smr54; 24th November 2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 24th November 2016, 04:35 PM
ras47 Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm View Post
When you mentioned "Broadcom" I immediately thought "oh-oh" although to be fair I do have an old HP dv6000 laptop (about 10 years old) which also has a Broadcom wireless card and I did not have any issues with the installation of Fedora 25.

I think you are best getting a USB WiFi since they are normally very small (less than 1" or 2cm) and are quite cheap. I got mine (TP-LINK TL-WN823N Wireless-N30 Mini USB Adaptor) for $18 AUD ($13.2 USD) for my Core i7 6700 Desktop which I built myself and I have never had any problems.
The adapter for wifi looks like the way to go. I'm considering the TP-Link n150 (http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...lpUaAv9n8P8HAQ).

I'll keep banging on getting the stupid Broadcom internal card to work, of course. But I'm such a noob that if I do get it to work it will be completely by accident. I've found some drivers online but installing them gives me mockbuild errors.
Old 24th November 2016, 05:23 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

There is the mock and faketoot packages. To be honest, I've not looked into it too deeply.

Tags
fedora, wifi