Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd December 2016, 01:02 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Guess I'll wait until Fedora 26

And I bought two dongle Realtek wireless adapters. It was truly plug and play for each. One was destined for a AMD desktop with W7, and the other for Fedora 21.
Both work well and are the best investment I ever made for such devices I paid $15.00 for the two.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 22nd December 2016, 03:19 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Not addicted to Windows but you seem to go back to it after trying alternatives fairly quickly though. How come you've ended up with W10 again? I thought your latest machine had an earlier build of windows when you bought it.

The free upgrade offer has finished so your machine should stay with W8.1 or W7 unless you specifically insert W10 upgrade media now. If you no longer have W8.1 installation media you can download this from Microsoft's website and use that. You don't need an activation key for it if your system came with it pre-installed.
Sold the other system, picked this one up brand new a month ago. I came with Windows 10, and it's pretty tough to get it to boot to anything else.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:02 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

in W10 click restart but hold down shift and keep it held down at the same time. this brings up a different menu, you can then let go of shift. one of the options is to use a device. click that and choose the boot medium. your system will boot that next
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:44 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

This one has the BIOS locked to Windows 10. No work around. :/

Old 23rd December 2016, 06:30 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
This one has the BIOS locked to Windows 10. No work around. :/
Sometimes, removing the flat 3 volt clock battery, also removes the contents from the clock's cache, in which is stored the lock-down info.

After a minute of no batteries connected, restore that battery and check if you can redirect the boot to a usb or control the boot process via the bios.

Old 23rd December 2016, 08:15 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Nevermind, I meant this one is just being difficult. Still will have to wait to set up a dual boot until I can find a new network USB stick. By the way, it's a sealed laptop. I would have to completely disassemble to thing to get at the battery. No thanks.

Old 24th December 2016, 07:01 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

indeed, don't start breaking seals to attempt removal of the batteries where they are non-removable externally because one or both will also be soldered in place and non-removable once you get inside.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:10 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Exactly. Mostly they are not and even if they were, it's not 100% sure it will help, as I read some reports where it didn't help at all.

How was it Torvalds named UEFI? Oh yeah, "Intel braindamage"
Old 28th December 2016, 09:01 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
How was it Torvalds named UEFI? Oh yeah, "Intel braindamage"
very apt, it's certainly not that robust and easily falls over if you start trying clean up after loading in another OS. I managed to screw the F12 menu up (F12 now takes me straight to settings as per F2) on my UEFI firmware notebook this week after trying out a few different Linux OS on it. Never remove all Windows OS boot loader entries even if it isn't installed

seems it is a fairly common occurrence with uefi notebooks using that particular firmware brand

I can still get the notebook to boot from other devices but it's an annoyance not having F12 available. I'll try reflashing the firmware at some point as the tried and tested method of clearing via ultimate boot cd with the SSD removed didn't work. The only difference being the firmware recently updated. even in legacy mode the menu doesn't come up. it goes straight to settings instead. so I may force flash the older build.

whichever bootloader is installed on the SSD loads okay as default though. so it's not completely fubar.
Old 29th December 2016, 01:16 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi Admins.
With 40 entries to this topic, is it time to close it and start anew?

Old 29th December 2016, 03:51 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Sometimes, removing the flat 3 volt clock battery, also removes the contents from the clock's cache, in which is stored the lock-down info.

After a minute of no batteries connected, restore that battery and check if you can redirect the boot to a usb or control the boot process via the bios.
That doesn't work an a lot of the laptops nowadays. A big chunk of them have a TPM chip that stores the information. And most of those that do have a TPM chip, if you do find a way to clear them (yes there is a way most of the time) They store information as well that must be in place for the computer to boot. So not only do you have to clear things, you also have to put things back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Hi Admins.
With 40 entries to this topic, is it time to close it and start anew?
???? Is there a post limit in a thread? Easier to keep it in one thread than to make multiple threads for a topic.
Old 30th December 2016, 12:28 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

If the TPMs are similar to what I used in a smart flashdrive, then here is what I used to do
The TPM manufacturer has a manufacturer's area and key. When he turns the tpm over the designer person needing that functionality, the designer must create his own area, with a new key. Depending upon the design of the TPM, the manufacturer's key is wiped, so that even the manufacturer can't access the TPM. If the Manufacturer's key is not wiped, then the manufacturer can wipe the TPM to clean.
When the designer creates an area for an end-user (eg laptop or other manufacturer), the end-user gets a password and the designer is locked out. In other words, there is a handoff from TPM fabricator to hardware manufacturer to sofware designer to end-user.