Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 11th November 2016, 11:57 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: Windows 10. Again. :(

That site wants me to register just to see that article. No thanks.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 12th November 2016, 02:29 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
That site wants me to register just to see that article. No thanks.
Bleh! I hate sites that do that! I can understand sites that make you register to post comments, etc... Or even sites that have some "premium" content, but sites that make you register to read any of their articles is just crazy and pretty much tells me that they don't want me to read the article.
Old 13th November 2016, 09:08 AM
rich1974 Offline

linuxchrome

i came back with some results about this laptop (hp 255 g5, amd e-7110).
after i tried fedora 24, centos 7.3, ubuntu 16.10 as live USB and found the same fuel consumption, i installed ubuntu 14.04.3 (3.19.xxx kernel) since i find out that this kernel is the last kernel that support proprietary video driver.
i can thell that the result is quite spectacular: using the proprietary driver, i got the same power consumption as i have got under windows 10. so, as i expected, the video driver is the weakest link in all this linux chain.
so, as a linux developer, i would find a way to make possible to install video drivers regardless of kernel or xorg version. windows does this (with some exceptions).
if you want some more infor, just ask!
Old 13th November 2016, 08:10 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1974 View Post
so, as a linux developer, i would find a way to make possible to install video drivers regardless of kernel or xorg version. windows does this (with some exceptions).
if you want some more infor, just ask!
that would be fantastic in an ideal world. AMD themselves have to play ball here and get their own act together with regards kernel support though.

linus torvalds has a hate/hate relationship with proprietary graphics drivers. given the kernel is his project you'd think that if there was something that could be done from a kernel point of view it would have been by now.

the issue lies within the proprietary driver package compiled by AMD themselves and frequency level of updates, poor tracking of newer kernels marked as stable by Linus and his team of developers (which Fedora use). So if you want to lobby someone for change please do so in the AMD Drivers forum.
Old 30th November 2016, 12:48 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Windows 10 again...

It really seems increasingly obvious that chimpanzees could have done better than the current crowd at Redmond.
Old 19th December 2016, 04:23 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Guess I'll wait until Fedora 26 :(

Yeah. Was gonna set up a dual boot system this morning. Was really excited to make Windows a gaming only OS. But as usual, Fedora can't detect my network card. Gonna have to try some other distro or wait for Fedora 26 I guess. By the way, I think 25 is pretty slick.

Old 19th December 2016, 04:36 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox
Re: Guess I'll wait until Fedora 26 :(

...or you could spend $5 on a better network card?

In my experience, if you have a piece of weird kit, then it will haunt you forever - better to junk it and carry on.
Old 19th December 2016, 05:03 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Guess I'll wait until Fedora 26 :(

Would cost him more than $5 on a better network card for that machine. I do believe it's not replaceable.

But, I have been looking around, and the issues I have seen running Linux on the Asus chromebook never mention any issues with getting the network card to work. I have seen touchpad and sound, and even some issues where you have to flash the firmware issues, but none for the network.

Edit:

Where you going to put Fedora on your chromebook, or your HP laptop? I just assumed you were trying to put it on your chromebook. I am probably wrong as usual, though
Old 19th December 2016, 06:45 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Guess I'll wait until Fedora 26

threads merged, seems to be a continuation of the same theme concerning the network card issue faced with F24 when you tried it Kona.
Old 19th December 2016, 10:10 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I have to use the cheap wifi usb dongle that came with a raspberry pi2 kit on my fancy lenovo y70 laptop. The built-in lenovo wifi isn't detected by fedora 24 or 25. But using a dongle was much easier than trying to find some appropriate linux driver for the lenovo wifi.
Old 21st December 2016, 11:17 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
that would be fantastic in an ideal world. AMD themselves have to play ball here and get their own act together with regards kernel support though.

linus torvalds has a hate/hate relationship with proprietary graphics drivers. given the kernel is his project you'd think that if there was something that could be done from a kernel point of view it would have been by now.

the issue lies within the proprietary driver package compiled by AMD themselves and frequency level of updates, poor tracking of newer kernels marked as stable by Linus and his team of developers (which Fedora use). So if you want to lobby someone for change please do so in the AMD Drivers forum.
AMD would need more Linux-only devs. But frankly, even Intel is not what it used to be.
Anyway, GPU-Pro driver has an official release for LTS distros: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx
No Fedora though. But it's the Pro version, so it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197
Was gonna set up a dual boot system this morning. Was really excited to make Windows a gaming only OS. But as usual, Fedora can't detect my network card. Gonna have to try some other distro or wait for Fedora 26 I guess. By the way, I think 25 is pretty slick.
kona, you can wait as long as you want of course, but you'll still just wait. By the time you really use Linux, teleportation will be the cheapest and most used kind of travel.
Old 21st December 2016, 12:14 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
kona, you can wait as long as you want of course, but you'll still just wait. By the time you really use Linux, teleportation will be the cheapest and most used kind of travel.
true, and the 6 monthly i'll wait for Fedora XX posts may soon be annual. the proposal was put forward to change to a yearly release schedule with XX.X updated images containing updates for convenience in between recently. whether this happens remains to be seen. I hope it does, either that or shifting to a proper rolling release. the only current one is atomic which is for cloud servers.
Old 21st December 2016, 03:08 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

So everyone thinks I'm so addicted to Windows that I'll never be a die hard Linux user? I really do dislike Windows 10. It's all the privacy issues I have problems with. :/

Old 21st December 2016, 03:26 PM
Danny Michael Offline

linuxfirefox

For 15 bucks at Amazon you can get a Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter. Fedora and CentOS work well with it. I had a Realtek card and it was a constant headache with disconnects.
Old 21st December 2016, 05:30 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
So everyone thinks I'm so addicted to Windows that I'll never be a die hard Linux user? I really do dislike Windows 10. It's all the privacy issues I have problems with. :/
Not addicted to Windows but you seem to go back to it after trying alternatives fairly quickly though. How come you've ended up with W10 again? I thought your latest machine had an earlier build of windows when you bought it.

The free upgrade offer has finished so your machine should stay with W8.1 or W7 unless you specifically insert W10 upgrade media now. If you no longer have W8.1 installation media you can download this from Microsoft's website and use that. You don't need an activation key for it if your system came with it pre-installed.

What I'd suggest is picking up a copy Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 (or the free version available on their website). Take a backup of your system in it's factory state (straight after a clean install) with Windows 8.1 or W7 SP1 (also still downloadable for re-installation purposes) whichever is/was supplied with it to external storage and also create bootable recovery media from within that program. That way if your only recovery option previously was a hard drive partition you have a means to reinstall windows without resorting to W10.

Also, I strongly advise following Danny's advice about the wireless adaptor route. Realtek WLAN adaptors are a pain in windows too at times. I've had to install older W8.1 drivers to my Father's PC and block the automatic device driver updates because the same connection issues arose with new builds.