Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th May 2016, 03:45 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Formatting an external backup drive, xfs, btrfs,ext4 or f2fs

I have inherited a third backup drive (225gigs). I also owned a 1 terrabyte drive that I partitioned as 50% ntfs and 50% ext4. I want to format this 225gig drive for LInux. Instinctively I thought of using ext4.

I never thought about it before, but it came to mind that perhaps, in lieu of ext4, I should use xfs, btrfs or the newer f2fs formats. I had f2fs on my desktop as my home directory for almost 6 months. I never had a crash, and never saw any performance issues.

With btrfs, I had some problems, and so I am shy to use that filesystem.

What I am thinking of doing is formatting the drive ext4, and looking at disk utilisation, then do likewise with xfs and f2fs.

In general, I think that the differences between the three mentioned should be less than 50 megs (meta data use).

Phoronix posted an article about this topic, but did not include meta data (control information sizes). f2fs did quite well on retrievals.
Linux 4.3 File-System Comparison With Btrfs, EXT4, XFS, F2FS http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-43-ssd&num=1

Your comment please.

Leslie
in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 13th May 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 14th May 2016, 06:51 AM
stevea

linuxcroschrome
Re: Formatting an external backup drive, xfs, btrfs,ext4 or f2fs

It's a very meaningless comparison -- apples to antelope.

The first question that should occur is 'how do you intend to measure this overhead' ?
There are no general tools for that task, and AFAIK most FS tools don't report it.

Note that much, but not all of an in-use file-system overhead is 'metadata' or 'data'. There are one or more header blocks describing the FS, and there are tables - often bit-tables - of the blocks in use, then there are journals, and likely some structures to optimize the block allocation/deallocation - those aren't metadata.

Data - The size of the file data isn't particularly variable - except that btrfs and perhaps others, support data compression and this has a very positive effect under many workloads. Some, and again certainly btrfs, allows data duplication raid-like ways.

Metadata - the on-disk inode and attribute data - again doesn't vary much between file systems, except that some, aka btrfs defaults to meta-data duplication (raid0) on a single volume.

The rest varies A LOT! Especially note that by default ext[34] and xfs create journals, and allocate 5% of the file-system space as 'reserve' or 'over-provision'. Also ext* creates fixed basic inodes for all files as fs creation ! Most of the others create disk inodes dynamically (see /etc/mfe2fs.conf) . An ext4 inode_ratio of 16k and inode size of 256 means you will pre-allocate 1.5625% of space to inodes. So you are immediately talking about the default carve-out of ~3.5GB for inodes and ~11.25GB as reserved space !! That's a LOT Lot more than 50mb diff from btrfs - maybe 2+ orders of magnitude difference.

--

F2FS - Using f2fs on a rotating drive is ridiculous. This fs has a lot of features that only add value on an SSD or flash drive, and these do add to space overhead. How much - I don't know. But it takes a very special person to want wear-leveling or hot/warm/cold file segregation or background cleaning on a rotating disk; perhaps the same sort of person who want's ketchup on chantarelles or mixes cognac with kool-aid.

Btrfs - when creating the FS you are immediately faced with the decision to duplicate (or form more complex raid models) meta-data and/or data separately. The default is to 'dup' the metadata (raid0) and not the data on a single drive. So you are already buying 2x the inode overhead *** but *** you get certain features and value for that expenditure of space. No 5% tax! Despite your bad experience and failure to use the appropriate tools to recover - this is a stable, high feature, good performance FS.

Nilfs - should be included in any reasonable comparison.

---

So aside from ....
a/ can't be practically measured,
b/ measures nothing useful,
c/ avoids the obvious winner based on a spurious personal bias
d/ fails to test important contenders.
well you're batting 100 or is lacrosse the intention ?
Old 14th May 2016, 08:00 AM
flyingdutchman Online

macosfirefox

Well, you want to store backups. Therefore, I would recommend btrfs or openzfs, since they can do file and block level deduplication and save oodles of space.
Old 15th May 2016, 12:35 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I took the btrfs route, Thank you all!

Leslie
in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 15th May 2016, 06:29 AM
stevea

linuxcroschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman View Post
Well, you want to store backups. Therefore, I would recommend btrfs or openzfs, since they can do file and block level deduplication and save oodles of space.
Excellent thought - duperemove appears to not be available in any package - has to be built from source.

You can also do btrfs lzo or zlib compression (similar compression for openzfs) and that is often a big win for both speed and space (assuming the cpu has idle time and space is a concern).

LVM, nilfs, btrfs or openzfs on the source filesystems would allow snapshotting for a proper backup.
Old 15th May 2016, 08:35 AM
flyingdutchman Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Since you chose btrfs, see this:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Deduplication