Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2014, 10:56 PM
Fred Zyphal Offline

linuxfirefox
Very angry with Evolution

I recently used Firefox to access a seldom used Google calendar. The next time I booted the machine, the gnome-keyring-daemon was asking for the password to that account. So I checked, and Evolution now has that rarely used Google account name listed as my default account. This is just wrong ... I used my browser to access a calendar, Evolution should have no way of spying on that ... what the hell is going on here?
Old 30th April 2014, 11:28 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Very angry with Evolution

Would recommend Thunderbird over Evolution... I have yet to try Evolution and it not be buggy

Firefox, Chrome or Safari most likely would be your application for email (most web based these days). And not sure if that is part of Gnome Zeitgeist and tie ins with Search and Gnome applications (Evolution).

In System Settings, you can select your default email client too.
Old 1st May 2014, 12:49 AM
Fred Zyphal Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the response Dave, but I guess I need to be more clear.

Evolution, Gnome, or any other application, should have absolutely no knowledge of what I do inside my web browser. This is dangerouse, scary, and down right invasive ... it has me about one heartbeat away from abandoning Fedora.

This should not be able to happen.
Old 1st May 2014, 01:16 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Welcome to the new "integrated" gnome 3 experience.

Code:
Yum install e16
Old 1st May 2014, 03:48 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxchrome

Fred_Zyphal wrote:
Quote:
Evolution, Gnome, or any other application, should have absolutely no knowledge of what I do inside my web browser. This is dangerouse, scary, and down right invasive ... it has me about one heartbeat away from abandoning Fedora.
It's not fedora ... so I'd say there's no need to abandon fedora. There are so many other desktops, browsers, mailers and window managers that can observe the boundaries which I think you are referring to, all within fedora.

Last edited by nsnbm; 1st May 2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 1st May 2014, 05:07 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Having all these choices is so distressing:
# yum groupinstall e16 xfce lxde kde -y

Next time, choose any one of these at the login prompt and relax.
Old 1st May 2014, 07:53 AM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfirefox

I'd recommend Thunderbird or Claws-mail over Evolution, any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

CronoCloud
Old 1st May 2014, 04:37 PM
Fred Zyphal Offline

linuxfirefox

I truley appriciate all the advice about who prefers which mail client, browser, etc., etc., ... but that's not the point.

NOTHING should be able to spy on what I'm doing inside my web browser ... NOTHING.

Knowing that this has happened, I can't use my browser for online banking, or shopping, or anything.
Old 1st May 2014, 04:47 PM
flyingfsck Offline

macoschrome

Yes, well, complaining about Gnome is totally useless, since the developers do not listen to complaints and they don't hang out on this forum either. Your only option is to replace Gnome with a better DE, of which there are several.

I don't use Gnome myself, for various reasons and you raised another good one.

So, don't just stand there, do something!
Old 1st May 2014, 04:55 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
I truley appriciate all the advice about who prefers which mail client, browser, etc., etc., ... but that's not the point.

NOTHING should be able to spy on what I'm doing inside my web browser ... NOTHING.

Knowing that this has happened, I can't use my browser for online banking, or shopping, or anything.
No ... actually, that is the point. What folks are telling you here is, they have seen this egregious behavior as well, and have found some working solutions. If you want to crack the Gnome-Gnuts Gnuckles, go there (to gnome.org) and give it your best shot.

Here, we've pretty much written that off as a lost cause, and as you can see by the proliferation and development of so many other good options ... (volunteer) users are voting with their feet.
Old 1st May 2014, 05:27 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Cool Re: Very angry with Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
Yes, well, complaining about Gnome is totally useless, since the developers do not listen to complaints and they don't hang out on this forum either. Your only option is to replace Gnome with a better DE, of which there are several.

I don't use Gnome myself, for various reasons and you raised another good one.

So, don't just stand there, do something!
Actually ... that's not entirely true.

[UNFAIR RANT]
Early on with the initial rollout of Gnome 3, (circa F15~F16) they did indeed lurk -- beaming with joyful pride and expectant of much adulation. Which, inevitably, turned to stunned defensive attacks on sceptics and critics, who asked -- well within good reason -- WTH?! (Whence users looked past the cheap ribbons and linen, and their ugly baby was found wanting, and summarily labelled for what it was, a half-baked and maybe-not-so damn fine solution ... to a non-existent problem) So thus lurk and smirk turned to sulk and snit whilst they retreated, stubbornly clinging to the insistence that they knew the route to the ultimate single user (branded) experience ... better than the folks experiencing it. <....>

Their own mailing lists and blogs were festooned with veiled and open insults and digs at their user base, and condemnations of the "unwise and unwashed" masses who just didn't appreciate their true mastery of the "Adwaitified" GUI experience. Damn the opinions of others! They would change nothing!

So, true to the mindset of most folks who don't really understand the "linux" "FOSS" concept, they were after that one "unified" linux branding -- which if by some chance it should/could maybe happen -- could possibly lead the way to monetary exploitation. But first ... you've got to kill off those pesky "freedom" and "choice" and "individuality of experience" bugga-bears."

Misguided? Yes ... but not unique. (See: Unity/Ubuntu.)
[/UNFAIR RANT]

So ... they were indeedy-doo here ... for a while.

<....>
Old 1st May 2014, 05:53 PM
Fred Zyphal Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok, the advise is starting to come into focus here (it blurs while trying to penitrate my thick skull).

So why oh why is Gnome still the default desktop configuration when someone goes to download the Fedora ISO?
Old 1st May 2014, 05:54 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of gnome developers are Redhat, and therefore fedora developers, too. <....>
Old 1st May 2014, 08:34 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
So, true to the mindset of most folks who don't really understand the "linux" "FOSS" concept, they were after that one "unified" linux branding -- which if by some chance it should/could maybe happen -- could possibly lead the way to monetary exploitation.
Yup. Gnome's mobile interface design is just the first step. Just like Facebook and Apple, you've got to track your users' activities relentlessly if you want to get your slice of the targeted ad pie: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...es-now/361192/
Old 1st May 2014, 09:14 PM
mikee Offline

linuxfirefox

I use "elm" for email.
Windows Vista on 320GB Western Digital Caviar SE

Tags
angry, evolution