Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2013, 05:38 PM
aurabindo Offline

linuxchrome
Spinning down disk APM value Gnome-disks

In the "Spin down disk" in Disk Utility, we can specify a value for APM. How does that relate to "Start/Stop Count" Smart attribute ? How much should I give for APM when I'm getting 1510 as the start / stop count ?

How is the value related to APM ?

Thanks and Regards,
Aurabindo
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:45 AM
charles95 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Spinning down disk APM value Gnome-disks

I don't think it works quite they way you're thinking if I've read your though processes correctly. As I understand it start/stop count is related to the total number of times the disk stops or starts spinning. Turning your computer on and off and having your disk spin down (as a power saving measure I assume) increases your start/stop count in the same way that driving a car increase the number of miles on the clock in the speedometer. Gnome Disks tells me that my start stop count is 4590 (this is a laptop from 2011) and so far I have not encountered any problems with my disk. As Gnome Disks tells you itself don't be too agressive with spin downs as you can wear out the drive.
Old 2nd July 2013, 03:40 PM
aurabindo Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for the reply charles95. So if I'm correct, I can try providing lower APM values and occasionally check for the Start/Stop count, and not permit it to get too high.

What I dont know is how much would be "too high".
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:02 PM
charles95 Offline

linuxfirefox

No problem. Well I did some research for you on what would be too high.

"This has been demonstrated in Hitachi GST Travelstar drives which carry a 300,000cycle specification and have successfully passed long-term endurance testing beyond 1,000,000 load/unload cycles—both well beyondthe limits of hard drives designed with CSS."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/453472/Loa...-in-Hard-Disks

You may not have one of those drives but in general the maximum number of spins seems pretty high. With a count of 1500 I wouldn't lose sleep over the number of hard disk spins I would think some other component in your comp would break long before your hard drive stops spinning.
Old 2nd July 2013, 05:56 PM
aurabindo Offline

linuxchrome

That is exactly what I wanted to know!

But before I start loosing my sleep, you might want to find out why is that 4500 for you!

And as you said, the component that is about to fail is my battery! Thats when I started digging for some aggressive power saving techniques

Thank you very much!

Tags
apm, disk, gnomedisks, spinning