Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2013, 09:34 PM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox
fedora 18, gnome frozen, how to capture

Twice since upgrading to fedora 18, the entire windowing system (gnome with cinammon in front) has seized up and nothing can be done from the console.

Is there any way to capture useful information for the developers before power cycling to get the box back?\

I can ssh into the box from somewhere else - I believe that only the window manager is dead..
Old 18th February 2013, 10:28 PM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox
Re: fedora 18, gnome frozen, how to capture

Not from my knowledge. Try filing a bug report.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:32 PM
cazo Online

linuxchrome

This doesn't answer your question, but on F17 I enabled [CTRL]+[ALT]+[BACKSPACE] to kill Xserver. It's under System Settings, Region and Language, Layout tab, Options button. It's quicker and easier than power-cycling.

Since you can ssh in, you could also try killing the Xorg process, which should do the same.

I also had problems with freezing, and realized it is/was only when I have/had any remote smb share mounted - it doesn't happen with sftp (ssh) shares mounted. I never did find out why, but stopped mounting smb shares. The freeze would happen at different intervals, and would last from a few seconds to a few minutes. Nothing would show up (that I could see) in the system logs or in the user's .xsession-errors file. I kept a terminal window open, logged in as root (using su -), with tail -f /var/log/messages running.
Old 19th February 2013, 03:31 AM
mikee Offline

linuxfirefox

On my older computer, there was a problem with the i915 graphics driver.
I was able to log in remotely (ssh in from another computer) when it was frozen and look at the /var/log/messages file to see the "oops".
I manually filed a report at the kernel site and it was fixed about a year later.
The redhat site would probably be better!
Windows Vista on 320GB Western Digital Caviar SE
Old 19th February 2013, 01:36 PM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox

OK, many good suggestioins. It looks like using ssh to get at /var/log/messages might be the most useful for capturing the problem. I don't think I can file a bug report without at least having some information like that. I have no remote mounts at all, not even a local external disk drive is on when this happened last. I was printing to a network printer - that is all. F18 does not have a layout options tab under region & language - but that sounded nice.

Thanks to all. I will use ssh next time and capture some data.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:54 AM
cazo Online

linuxchrome

That same screen can also be gotten to from System Settings, Keyboard, Typing tab. Near the bottom is a link labelled Layout Settings.

I forgot that you mentioned you're running Cinnamon, so you'll probably have to dig around the Settings menu to find it. It's likely to be under Keyboard settings. I haven't run Cinnamon enough myself to tell you where it's at (if it's there at all).

If F18 has /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (or maybe even if it doesn't), I have a file called 00-system-setup-keyboard.conf that contains:
Code:
# This file is autogenerated by system-setup-keyboard. Any 
# modifications will be lost.

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier	"system-setup-keyboard"
	MatchIsKeyboard	"on"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105+inet"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
#	Option		"XkbVariant"	"(null)"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
EndSection
which is close enough to the old way of enabling that feature.

It should be worth a try.
Old 20th February 2013, 01:33 PM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox

under lower menu (settings) -> keyboard (using cinnamon appears the same here)

I then assume you mean keyboard_shortcuts - there are a lot of clickable topics with sub-entries - here is the MAIN topic list
Cinnamon, Windows, Workspace Management, System,
Launchers, Sound and Media, Universal Access, # not likely to be these IMHO
Custom Shortcuts

I ran through them all and see many UNASSIGNED but nothing with a label like "kill Xserver".

I made the direct change to the file in /etc (omitting the final comma before the quote as it looked wrong).

But if I missed something in layouts and could have done it there, it is probably a better solution.

I don't mind restarting the system and my real original goal was to capture the "hang" for people who might know what to do and fix it sometime..

Thanks again for your information and help.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:21 PM
pnelsonsr Offline

windows_7chrome

You can try a few things, but ultimately you need to get the gnome-shell re-started!

CTRL+ALT+F2 say and then kill gnome-shell

ALT+F2 and the "r" will do a gnome-shell restart but you said you can't get there.

or can you CTRL+ALT+Backspace? I think this use to stop the session and take you back to logging in.

With F18 I started having problems with gnome freezing. Made it unusable. I fix my situation with installing nvidia drivers. If you have nvidia card installed you might be experiencing the same thing!
Old 20th February 2013, 06:22 PM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox

It is not the gnome shell, it is the windowing system (X11).

By the way the hand patch to the config file for CTRL-ALT-BKSP did not work and I had rebooted.

ssh is going to have to do what I need.
Old 20th February 2013, 06:42 PM
mikee Offline

linuxfirefox

Have you ssh'ed in before? If not, you will need to verify that it's set up.. (I.E. firewall access, sshd installed)
Windows Vista on 320GB Western Digital Caviar SE
Old 21st February 2013, 12:52 PM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes, thanks. :=]
Old 27th February 2013, 08:59 PM
mhael Offline

linuxfirefox

I have such freezes on my desktop and laptop, both running F18. Usually happends on screen unlock after entering the password, but could happend on other operations too - f.e. going to overview mode (on pressing 'Win').
The workaround I've found - switch to text console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), login and do 'killall -HUP gnome-shell' to restart gnome-shell, then switch back to graphics console (Ctrl+Alt+F1). Now it should be unfrozen.

BTW, desktop is AMD A10 system using catalyst drivers from rpmfusion, laptop have Intel CPU/graphics. The problem looks to be related to gnome-shell and not X/drives.

Tags
capture, fedora, frozen, gnome