Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st March 2011, 02:33 PM
bonedome Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie
simple benchmarks gnome 3

Hello
there's been plenty of chat about gnome shell/3 and I dare say a few people are using it, at least for their youtube appearance, I was wondering if anyone who is using it has done any simple "top" type tests
The reason I ask is I (and no doubt many others) have a fairly old low spec machine, (be it laptop or whatever) and am not in a position to go and shell out on something shiny, all the vids I've seen seem to look like the old cpu must be doing sumersaults and backflips to keep a simple desktop running and I fear my old 1.4Ghz cpu will spend most of it's time making the desktop look like it's off csi miami than actually doing anything useful (if it runs at all) if I run gnome 3.
Which brings me to my next point, at the moment I use fluxbox on top of a lot of gnome apps, will they still work ?
Old 21st March 2011, 02:52 PM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: simple benchmarks gnome 3

This isn't a really old machine, it's got two cores at 1.8Ghz each and two Gbs or ram, but it easily seems faster than my laptop, which has faster cores and more ram. What sort of tests do you have in mind?

Last edited by kurtdriver; 21st March 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 21st March 2011, 03:46 PM
bonedome Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie

Hello
just simple cpu usage when compared to gnome 2, all that graphical trickery has got to have some effect on cpu use or does it drop to zero when idle.
I don't want to install fedora 15 and find my laptop has become a lethargic sloth/obsolete ovenight.
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:27 PM
bsund Offline

linuxfirefox

gnome-shell do use some cpu, after 3days uptime i have 5h50m on Xorg, 3h50m on gnome-shell and 2h27m on pulseaudio.

But that doesn't say much. I think the only benchmark is to install it on you'r computer and see how it goes.

I would say it has the same effect on performance as compiz. So if compiz is to heavy you will probably struggle with gnome-shell, but as said the only way to make sure is to test it yourself.
Old 23rd March 2011, 06:34 AM
DCOH Offline

linuxfedoraseamonkey

And to most user compiz was fun to play with but not a whole lot of use for production.
Registered Linux user #432525
Linux Box # 337563
Old 24th March 2011, 12:27 AM
vallimar Online

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCOH View Post
And to most user compiz was fun to play with but not a whole lot of use for production.
That depends entirely on how you use it. Compiz can do a lot of things, it's just
the bling that attracts the eye the most. How many of those people you are speaking
for actually tried to use it productively?

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsund View Post
I would say it has the same effect on performance as compiz. So if compiz is to heavy you will probably struggle with gnome-shell, but as said the only way to make sure is to test it yourself.
I would say otherwise. When I've used compiz it was very light, almost no load when idle,
very little otherwise except when doing something obviously intensive. It was also very
smooth with transitions and effects.

Gnome-shell starts out sluggish for me when first starting out, it seems to get a little
faster over time, caching effect maybe? There was also a small improvement going
from nouveau to nvidia drivers, but it was small. I think the code is just generally in
poor shape, since even after awhile, I would still get slight stutters and hesitations
when popping up the overlay. For such a limited effect, it should be smooth, I've had
compiz doing a lot more at times without any such issues.

But until they fix the composited transparency issues, which is just an unbelievably
stupid regression to still be having, I won't ever seriously consider using it.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Just for further comparisons sake, I've also used cairo-compmgr at times, and while
it's a nice, small, compositor, and seemed to run a bit more stable for me than compiz while
providing a bit more in the way of effects than the sheer simplicity of metacity's compositor,
it wasn't as light on resources.

I'm not sure what caused it (and didn't look), but it would constantly use 3-4% cpu, even when
sitting idle. It was because of that that I stopped using it longer term. There was no call for it to
be doing that, so I figured it likely had other issues too and it didn't (still doesn't) look to be
actively developed. Which is a shame because I liked where it was going.. a good middle-
ground between metacity and compiz.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Tried the very latest gnome builds from the repos and it seems to be running smoother, so
that complaint is gone. There is also a brand new gnome-tweak-tool (installed separately)
that, while not great, is at least a start. The layering stuff causes a problem when I try to
enable nautilus on the desktop still, just as it does for transparency. No one else seems to
mention these things so maybe it's just me it affects.

Last edited by vallimar; 23rd March 2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: must... proofread... more....
Old 24th March 2011, 01:19 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

On my system running gnome3 shell, I have noticed a little slowdown over F14.

Go into disk manager and do benchmarks on drives, I see an across the board, consistent 20 MB/sec slowdown over the same benchmark in F14. (F14 I am getting a consistent 157MB/sec in F15 a consistent 134MB/sec). It's the same thing on all 8 hard drives in this machine.

I also noticed a little glitch in the way popup windows were being handled. Like in file manager, copying files from one drive to another pops up the copying...etc.. box.. But if you get an error, like file already exists, etc.. The popup box for it comes up behind the copying box.. (I know, this doesn't have anything to do with the performace of Gnome3.

Overall, I seem to have quite a bit more sluggishness in my desktop over F14, though. (2.8 ghz quad 2 duo, 4gb ram, nvidia geforce 210 with 1gb ddr2)

Seriously, I hated the gnome3 shell when I first installed it, and I decided to try it for awhile to see if it was just not being used to it that caused me to hate it. Well, over 2 weeks later, I hate it even more than when I installed it.