Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:15 PM
skolnick Offline

Help with some F9 issues

Hi!

I am using F9. I am having some issues with it and I would like to ask here if somebody has suggestions:

1. I can't change from GDM to KDM. Since it seems GDM 2.22 is so unfinished that doesn't even have a configuration utility, I would like to get rid of it.

2. Is there a way to install KDE 3.5.9? I would like to keep it as an option.

3. Why does KDE keep its own copy of the desktop? if I delete something from ~/Desktop with the terminal, GNOME will not show the file, but KDE4 will show a stupid icon remebering me that there used to be a file there. Why not using the same desktop as GNOME?

4. I have tried to set a custom wallpaer on KDE4, but it seems impossible. It will either lock, or not take my changes. This is just another bug in it.

5. SOmetimes the icons in the system tray appear messed (most notably NetworkManager and the updates icon box). They show incomplete, or with missing parts.. I am using the default taskbar size, if that matters.

6. If you reduce the size of the taskbar, it will not change its size, it will just show part of the taskbar in the upper part of the screen. I am using the nv driver with a Nvidia 8400GS card.

7. Where is all the customizability of KDE 3? I cannot find a way to set the panel to just use a section of my screen (like MacOS X bar, which does not extend to the borders of the screen). I could do this in KDE3

8. If I right click a launcher in the menu, I used to get a menu which allowed me to add it to the panel, or the desktop. Now it simply gets launched. That sucks. It just stupified the GUI.

9. How can I add a launcher from the menu to the panel? this was easy to do in KDE3, but I have not found the way in KDE4.

10. What's with the border that now have the icons in the desktop? I understand that's part of the new design in KDE4 (in fact, I like how it looks) but the icons are mostly useless. The wrench is easy to understand, but the cross should delete the icon from the desktop (but it doesn't. If you go to the desktop, the icon is there, it just erases the KDE4's access to the icon). What do the other two icons do? I cannot find any documentation about them.

11. If you delete the access to an icon, how do you show it again? i just deleted the access to a very useful icon, and even though the icon is there (GNOME shows it just fine) it's not in KDE4's desktop.

All of this, summed to the fact that the Xserver is beta and has no nVidia drivers, and summed to the very alpha-like quality of the new KDE, and the alpha-like quality of GDM, (which, BTW are the new defaults, KDE with GDM) make me think that F9 is the least polished fedora release to date. I never had such amount of issues with any other fedora release before this one. I hope they fix it soon, because so far, the impression (even for experienced people like me) is far from good.

Thanks, and any help with my issues (for which I really hope there is a fix) is welcome.

German A.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:55 PM
dan.btown Offline

Man, you are funny. I'm sure you browsed and searched the forums before you started to ask and complain. Or didn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolnick
1. I can't change from GDM to KDM. Since it seems GDM 2.22 is so unfinished that doesn't even have a configuration utility, I would like to get rid of it.
Create the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and put into it either of the following:

Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="GNOME"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
Restart your machine to see the changes.
"By restart your machine", I mean: Restart your machine.
In this case, it's not enough to hit [CTRL] + [ALT] + [BCKSP].

Quote:
3. Why does KDE keep its own copy of the desktop? if I delete something from ~/Desktop with the terminal, GNOME will not show the file, but KDE4 will show a stupid icon remebering me that there used to be a file there. Why not using the same desktop as GNOME?
This is inteded to be a feature, not a bug. But if you'd browsed the forums you'd have realized that the audience is not fully amused.
See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=189253, for example.

Quote:
4. I have tried to set a custom wallpaer on KDE4, but it seems impossible. It will either lock, or not take my changes. This is just another bug in it.
Pls. also observe:
- http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...40#post1017040
- http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...1#post10170388
as the problems may be related.

Quote:
7. Where is all the customizability of KDE 3? I cannot find a way to set the panel to just use a section of my screen (like MacOS X bar, which does not extend to the borders of the screen). I could do this in KDE3
Allow some more time to go by.

Quote:
I hope they fix it soon,
Who, they?

-- Dan
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:02 AM
skolnick Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.btown
Man, you are funny. I'm sure you browsed and searched the forums before you started to ask and complain. Or didn't you?
Yep, I did. However, it seems I used the wrong words to search, since some issues appear related to mine, but I couldn't find the exact same issues anywhere.

Quote:
Create the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and put into it either of the following:

Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="GNOME"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
Restart your machine to see the changes.
"By restart your machine", I mean: Restart your machine.
In this case, it's not enough to hit [CTRL] + [ALT] + [BCKSP].
Thanks, I found this reply just after posting.
Quote:
This is inteded to be a feature, not a bug. But if you'd browsed the forums you'd have realized that the audience is not fully amused.
See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=189253, for example.
Hmm...doubtful usefulness of this "feature". Not only is annoying as hell, it goes against the logic behavior of the software (OK, logic is very arguable, but it's what we've been used to since win95)

Quote:
Who, they?
By "they" I meant the community of developers. I can report the issues and bugs, but since I can't code, I am not able to fix them myself.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:13 AM
dan.btown Offline

Quote:
Hmm...doubtful usefulness of this "feature". Not only is annoying as hell, it goes against the logic behavior of the software (OK, logic is very arguable, but it's what we've been used to since win95)
As you can see, post #6 in the mentioned thread is mine, so I mostly agree with you and I feel like I have to heal my desktop, however, the geeks behind the scenes of this forum seem to not accept any inmoderate kind of deportment about this. So it would be wise to pose the question like "does anybody here know by an incredible co-incidence how to turn it off" rather than just to let us know that you find something so not satisfying.

Quote:
By "they" I meant the community of developers. I can report the issues and bugs, but since I can't code, I am not able to fix them myself.
This may be a frequent misunderstanding: The developers do not read this forum -- their forum is elsewhere.

Here, it's just your brothers and sisters Fedora co-users.

But you're welcome.

-- Dan.

Tags
issues