Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th February 2008, 06:25 PM
viisforemacs Offline

Arrow Fc8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_linux1
Just to share with you my latest experience in installing Fedora Core 8: upgrade vs fresh install
I wanted to go from Fedora Core 6 to Fedora Core 8. ...
Just a quick note, They took out "core" from the name because it isn't just "core" pakages any more. Fedora 6 was "core", But F7 on isn't.
Old 1st March 2008, 08:52 PM
rhricik Offline

I'll add my experience - going from FC-6 to F8.
First - I only have Fedora and Livna repositories active and in use. I think that the lower the number of repositories involved makes it successful (to a degree - more later). I updated everything before starting, and made sure I had a good connection to the network (not wireless, wired). My laptop is a Toshiba P25-526, a 17" 10lb laptop with 3.2Ghz P4 HT, 2Gb memory, Nvidia video, 160Gb PATA hard drive.

There is documentation for trying the upgrade on the Redhat Fedora site - RTFM!!!! I can't stress that enough!

I pulled a listing of installed software and uninstalled anything that wasn't installed from Fedora or Livna. I ran the list again ('rpm -qa >> installed.software') and saved it somewhere on the NAS. I also, of course, backed up my home dir to the NAS also. I don't run anything fancy, so there is no major configuration settings I had to worry about. Just a straight, simple, behind a LinkSys router type of network.

First thing I did was load the new repositorys for F8 for both Livna and Fedora. I rebooted and went into text mode, logged in as root connected to the wired network. I crossed my fingers, ran a 'yum upgrade' -- and several packages caused problems in the dependencies. Since they were things that could easily be reloaded after the install, I removed them and started again. This went on for a few more attempts, but finally there were no problems with the dependencies, so I went for it and let it run.

Everything seemed to install, and it came up on the reboot without errors. Everything appeared to work, so I was a happy camper. I had to play with the Nvidia setup, but from what I understand everyone else was having problems with Compiz at the time (one week after release). I eventually got everything working - MP3, DVD, etc. .

The problems started after one of the updates was applied - which one it was, I have no idea. The problems started surfacing with problems during the updates - postscripts weren't running correctly, caches were invalid, just problems that I couldn't track down the errors on. I would end up with 3 or 4 different versions listed when I would do an 'rpm -qa' and examine the list. I had to start removing the older versions by hand, using the 'rpm -e --nodeps --noscripts pkgname' at the command line. It started getting to be a real problem.

Then, on one update, perl changed somehow - sorry, not a perl person, can't say what happened. But it was one of the packages that was having problems during the update. All of a sudden popfile didn't work any more, nor did several other packages that depended on perl. It wasn't finding perl modules that i know were installed and working - and were listed on the @INC path.

Then other things started going wrong - I started getting errors in some of the packages, the PC started running slower and slower. Then Compiz started misbehaving - artifacts, blocks, etc. on screen. Video and audio started getting choppy - it seemed that every update had something that wasn't happy.

End result is that after 4 months of this, I am now in the process of wiping and starting a clean install of F8. I will not try another upgrade - taking a day or two to set it up after a new install will be less than the frustration and digging for answers to problems that just appear.

When all is said and done, the time you save up front by upgrading gets wiped out within a few months. This is one boy who will re-install on the next release, no more upgrades for me!
Old 5th March 2008, 10:51 AM
bsquare Offline

Although there was problem upgrading from Fedora core 6 to Fedora 7 several months ago, I've recently performed an upgrade from Fedora core 6 to Fedora 7, then to Fedora 8 without issue.

I give all needed information there :
http://bertrandbenoit.blogspot.com/2...core-6-to.html

HTH
Old 5th March 2008, 11:25 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I know many of you have successfully upgraded without appearant incident. Very well, but this is not the place to argue in favor of that method, or post those stories. This is a place for a little plain speaking about this issue, from the fedora point of view.
Just a reminder.

Dan
Old 13th March 2008, 07:20 PM
birdie1960 Offline

I am a newbie who is having problems upgrading Firefox and Evolution. I am also not conversant with a lot of computer terms. Are you saying I should delete these programs and the n install the new version?I have an old Hp Compaq desktop with a bios 0f 1999 and Fedora 8. I have been trying to use the archive to update those programs but don't really know how to do that successfully.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:02 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie1960
I am a newbie who is having problems upgrading Firefox and Evolution. I am also not conversant with a lot of computer terms. Are you saying I should delete these programs and the n install the new version?I have an old Hp Compaq desktop with a bios 0f 1999 and Fedora 8. I have been trying to use the archive to update those programs but don't really know how to do that successfully.
This thread is about upgrading from version to version of Fedora, not the programs included.

To run an update just open a terminal and run

su -
yum update

NOTE- the version available in the Fedora repos may not always be the latest available for any particular program, since it takes time to package, and some updates are just not worth that time.
Old 5th April 2008, 03:22 AM
ajay2nokia Offline

i hv installed fedora 7 cant it update it rather than installing latest 1....?? i 2 have fedora 8 DVD. plz reply
Old 5th April 2008, 03:23 AM
ajay2nokia Offline

sorry not fedora 8 i have DVD of fedora 9 alpha
Old 5th April 2008, 03:27 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

As I said above, and is the whole point of this thread, upgrades are NOT recommended by fedora. Especially not to an alpha or beta level product!

You can try, if you wish, but personally, I don't recommend it either. If you're going to upgrade, wait for a stable F9 release.

Dan
Old 13th April 2008, 01:17 AM
aliber4079 Offline

I would be upgrading from fc5. Is it possible to upgrade by using rescue disk to mount the drive with the old distro and renaming the top level folders under the / directory and then installing the new distro onto that drive as if it were a "fresh" install? Or does fc8/9 upgrade the whole filesystem?
Old 5th May 2008, 06:27 PM
LDC Offline

it is recommended to format the disk before doing a fresh install? ^^;;

Linux Registered User #476391
Old 6th May 2008, 09:59 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

I decided to add to this thread rather than to a preupgrade thread for two reasons.

1. Preupgrade preformed as advertised except for a silly mistake in labeling the /boot/upgrade/stage2.img.

2. My problems are related more to the amount of packages I have on my system.

I am a strong advocate of a clean install, always have been. Stems from my Windows days. I will admit this is an unprofessional, desktop user's mentality, but I have found 9 times out of 10 you are better off just starting over rather than spending weeks on a problem.

But I chickened out this time round. I have F8 right where I want it. Leigh kindly pointed me to package-cleanup which I now run religiously every couple yum updates. Everyone should know about this tool. I am running 64 bit but have retained all 32 bit libs. I have, okay, sit down, around 30 GB of operating system alone! My menus are full, I have every game that can run on Linux. I have every web browser known to man. I am silly and foolish but I have any DE/WM you could name. Name the package and I most likely have it installed. Best yet, my computer is rock solid! Performance, though noticeably slower than a base install running under Flux, is still very acceptable. I am happy and optioned out and people flip when they dig through my menus. They cannot believe that all (well, most) of this stuff is free. But the clincher for me was E-Sword. I have it running in Wine and it was a struggle to do it. I forgot how and really did not want to have to go through that again.

So I just tried preupgrade. It worked fine but I am not understanding how it is any better than a yum upgrade? But that is beside the point. I now have so many small problems that after two days of taking inventory I am throwing up my hands on it. The computer works, I have basic functionability and it is solid. I even have sound. But it seems half of all the apps I open have conflicts, missing stuff or just plain wont open. The clincher is E-Sword, which now causes a complete lockup upon opening causing a forced reboot. A lot of the problems might have to do with the Rawhide nature of F9, the xorg thing itself really sucks. I am running F9 on another computer, as a base install, and enjoy it. I have every confidence that it will be ready and will prove a solid, reliable OS, but trying to use it on a loaded computer as a business workstation just wasnt in the cards at this point. I could probably tinker with it and fix everything problem by problem but how long would that take compared to a clean install? But the worst part of trying to patch it is that in the end I couldnt be sure of what I had. What problems are lying under the surface, waiting to bite me when my pants are down.

I dont want to scare anyone off from the upgrade route. My problems are extreme due to the nature of my install. But I had to re-learn a lesson I have expounded on so many times in here through the years. I even lecture on it on the previous page of this very thread. In trying to save time I just made more work for myself. I wasted two days and am now left with a half functional computer while waiting on the F9 release. Saving grace is I am now operating from a new laptop, which was a major factor in my deciding to do this upgrade at this time, and I was fully prepared to lose everything. I dont regret trying this, it was a learning experience, but, if anything, I am now more stubborn than ever on doing a clean install.

If you choose to upgrade then by all means, try it out. It can be done, it has been done by many. But just be aware of what you are walking into. And dont come crying to us when you lose your pr0n collection.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:38 PM
dubb Offline

I have been thinking about upgrading to F9 and I was afraid of doing a fresh install. Since I setup a /storage partition that includes all of my music pictures..etc i guess i don't have to worry. I also have a /home directory but i guess it really isn't worth saving. unless it doesn't require much effort when installing f9.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:43 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

I'm thinking this is where an external HDD would really shine. Back up everything you really want to keep there, unmount (cleanly) and unplug it, and you don't lose what's on it.
Old 9th May 2008, 05:04 PM
LDC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC
it is recommended to format the disk before doing a fresh install? ^^;;
*cough* *cough*

Linux Registered User #476391
Closed Thread

Tags
fresh, installs, upgrades