Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th November 2016, 07:10 AM
picasso_1.2.13 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Upgraded to F25 using Mate Desktop and NetworkManager/OpenVPN doesn't work

I'm using Mate desktop and just upgraded from F23->F24->F25. I just noticed that my VPN profiles in NetworkManager are greyed out and can't be activated. Prior to the upgrade, I can click on the NetworkManager tray icon-> VPN Connections -> VPN Profile and start my VPN. Now those VPN profiles are all greyed out and can't be activated.

If I switch to GNOME shell, the VPN profiles work just fine. I'm just not a fan of latest Gnome and want to stay with Mate.

I even tried re-creating one of the VPN profiles and I can create it just fine, but after creating the profile, it shows up in the VPN Connections list but is also greyed out and can't be selected.

What could be causing NetworkManager to behave differently between Mate vs Gnome?
Old 28th November 2016, 11:18 PM
picasso_1.2.13 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Upgraded to F25 using Mate Desktop and NetworkManager/OpenVPN doesn't work

ok, so strangely enough... the problem fixed itself in a way i cannot explain.

instead of trying to activate the VPN profile by GUI, I decided to try it via nmcli:

nmcli connection up "VPN profile name"

and sure enough, that worked and the VPN connection started up just fine. I did an equivalent "down" and stop the VPN. right after this, I went to the NetworkManager tray icon and now the VPN profiles are no longer greyed out and I can activate them by GUI again! WTF???

I can't explain it... but I'm glad it all works again.
Old 14th December 2016, 06:21 AM
dciarnie Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I wish I could say the same with KDE. nmcli works (thanks for that!) but I still can't establish a VPN connection from the tray icon. I can on the other hand, stop it using the tray icon...strange.
Old 14th December 2016, 06:25 AM
picasso_1.2.13 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciarnie View Post
I wish I could say the same with KDE. nmcli works (thanks for that!) but I still can't establish a VPN connection from the tray icon. I can on the other hand, stop it using the tray icon...strange.
I don't know if you are experiencing the same thing as me, but when you try to start the VPN from the tray icon does openvpn process consume 100% cpu? (run 'top' while you start the VPN)

F25 definitely seems buggy....
Old 15th December 2016, 04:56 AM
dciarnie Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You're probably right that what I'm dealing with isn't exactly the same thing but it does seem that VPN is borked in F25. There are at least three issues with VPN and F25: yours, mine and https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1398425.
Old 10th January 2017, 08:10 PM
picasso_1.2.13 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

dciarnie: did you every figure it out?

i just upgraded another box from F23 to F24 (avoiding F25 for a little while considering all the issues I've had with other upgrades to F25) and I'm now having the same issue with VPNs again. except, this time it isn't automatically fixing itself after using the cli to activate VPN. I now can only activate VPN via CLI. If i use the tray icon, it establishes, but no traffic is forwarded. if I do it via CLI, it works as expected.
Old 10th January 2017, 08:36 PM
dciarnie Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

In my case, the problem was fixed by a recent change to the plasma packages (most likely plasma-nm-openconnect). Maybe there are similar changes for Mate?

Tags
desktop, f25, mate, networkmanager, networkmanager or openvpn, openvpn, upgraded, work