Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2016, 06:03 PM
bill.damage Offline

windows_7chrome
Fed 25: Samba suddenly refuses all XP connections, Win 7 OK

I have several XP VM's and its also physically one on a on a multiboot laptop. Just today, they all gave "unknown username or bad password" to the main samba server which has been working fine for years. There is nothing wrong with the accounts because Win 7 clients using the same credentials are fine. On the LAN I have Ubuntu servers and their samba shares are OK from XP. It seems its just the specific combination of XP client to Fedora samba which has this problem. I even downgraded samba to 4.5.0 but it still shows this issue.
The ubuntu version which is OK is 4.3.11

Also note when I browse the LAN from the broken XP clients in Explorer the server name comes up, so XP does know it is there (when I click the server name I'm asked to login, and can't as described. Normally these are permanently mapped to drive letters so I never even see the prompt).

Could something else have changed which causes this, like some kind of password encryption which XP can't handle, etc?
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:18 AM
TruboXL Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fed 25: Samba suddenly refuses all XP connections, Win 7 OK

maybe something got to do with XP still default to using old SSL and not TLS?

Windows 10, Fedora MATE / Cinnamon
Old 7th January 2017, 08:06 PM
bjrosen Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Fed 25: Samba suddenly refuses all XP connections, Win 7 OK

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I just upgraded a box from F22 to F25. I have an XP VM and a Win10 VM. Samba connections to Win10 are fine but the XP VM can't connect.

Tags
connections, fed, refuses, samba, suddenly, win