Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th December 2016, 04:07 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
What's 33 in weather

My Fedora friends in Australia were commenting that 33C was a comfortable temperature. I am in Montreal and this morning we had -33C. Would you say that -33C is less comfortable than +33C.

F=9/5C + 32. 33=91.4F -33 = -27.4

For what it is worth, -40C is equal to -40F. While at -33C, due to the cold I may move a bit more slowly, my CPU just runs at the designed fixed speed.

One advantage of living here in Montreal is the cold weather kills germs, and in summer we can enjoy +33C.
Plattsburg NewYork is just over an hour away.

Climate change is a spice of life and take advantage of the weather to use Fedora indoors and outdoors. CPU instructions that are not used, are lost forever.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 18th December 2016, 12:27 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: What's 33 in weather

Quote:
Would you say that -33C is less comfortable than +33C.
Yes, definitely. I'd rather sweat my ass off than freeze it off. The former just requires to keep drinking water while the latter needs reconstructive surgery to fix.

Of course it all depends on the rest of the circumstances. 33C can be very tough to get work done in without AC. I guess smog also is more severe in warmer weather. -33C might be comfortable in case you have reliable heating and there are no storms that mess with the supply chain.
Old 18th December 2016, 12:40 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

The middle ground. you can't beat a hill walk in winter when it's sunny and the air is crisp but not cold enough to start frost bite. Something about the long shadows from the winter sun as well sets the landscape off even more.
Old 18th December 2016, 10:53 PM
ozjd Online

linuxchrome

As one who lives in Australia where we've had temperatures around the 40 mark in the last few days, I definitely prefer the colder weather, but then it rarely drops below zero here and the coldest I've experienced is about -8. Summer temperatures here can, and most summers do, reach 45. That is too much.

Actually the heat can be different in different climates. Most Australians live along the coastal fringe where heat also brings humidity which makes it much worse. Inland the heat is dry and as along you have plenty to drink is quite endurable.
Old 20th December 2016, 12:19 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjd View Post
As one who lives in Australia where we've had temperatures around the 40 mark in the last few days, I definitely prefer the colder weather, but then it rarely drops below zero here and the coldest I've experienced is about -8. Summer temperatures here can, and most summers do, reach 45. That is too much.

Actually the heat can be different in different climates. Most Australians live along the coastal fringe where heat also brings humidity which makes it much worse. Inland the heat is dry and as along you have plenty to drink is quite endurable.
When you stated Have plenty to drink, can you elaborate?

Old 20th December 2016, 12:25 AM
ozjd Online

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
When you stated Have plenty to drink, can you elaborate?
Whatever you prefer but water is best in extreme conditions.
Old 20th December 2016, 11:11 AM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

Warmer weather is better - less clothing to buy and being caught in the rain isn't immediately fatal. Having said that, I definitely prefer the milder climates.
Old 20th December 2016, 11:46 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I'm getting to the age where I just want to wear t-shirts and shorts all year round. Thailand seems a good choice! I think my minimum comfortable temp is about 20C...
Old 20th December 2016, 04:24 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

A problem I have with winter is sidewalk maintenance. Once the plows clear the sidewalks, the sanding and salting truck rides the walk depositing it's mixture. Its ok for me, but after a 100 steps, the dog begins walking on three legs, and then limping. I end up carrying the dog to a field, where he can run and void his self.

A second probem is belly dirt. Walking on dirty snow (slush), his own pace results in kickup of slush onto his belly. The dog gets into the bath on return from the walk

Old 20th December 2016, 07:14 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

three legged walking yellow snow cone machine... get the pooch some boots and it'll be fine.

russian water is best whatever the weather
Old 20th December 2016, 08:24 PM
thick0 Online

linuxfedorafirefox

It was 33 here in Sydney yesterday and far from comfortable.
Old 21st December 2016, 04:58 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I'll be in Bangkok for a few days at the beginning of January. The nighttime low will be around 21C and daytime highs can get up to 32C.

This winter in Tokyo is weird! Some days so far have been quite warm at around 15C and others have been brass monkeys! I don't think I can stand another winter here! Summers are a different kettle of fish, the humidity can be stifling!

I'm thinking of moving to Thailand but I'd much prefer to move to Hong Kong! I love the place. Pity the rents there are much higher than Tokyo and it's not cheap here either!
Old 25th December 2016, 09:00 PM
RichardET Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
My Fedora friends in Australia were commenting that 33C was a comfortable temperature. I am in Montreal and this morning we had -33C. Would you say that -33C is less comfortable than +33C.

F=9/5C + 32. 33=91.4F -33 = -27.4

For what it is worth, -40C is equal to -40F. While at -33C, due to the cold I may move a bit more slowly, my CPU just runs at the designed fixed speed.

One advantage of living here in Montreal is the cold weather kills germs, and in summer we can enjoy +33C.
Plattsburg NewYork is just over an hour away.

Climate change is a spice of life and take advantage of the weather to use Fedora indoors and outdoors. CPU instructions that are not used, are lost forever.
-33C? I just checked Accuweather for Montreal:
FRI 12/16

Actual Temp
-15° /-23°
Hist. Avg.
-1°/-10°