Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2017, 09:42 PM
robertg Offline

linuxchrome
Login keyring prompts

Hello everyone I was wondering if someone can tell me how to stop this message from popping up every time I open Chromium browser

Message I receive
The password you use to login to your computer no longer matches that of your login keyring

I'm not sure why I keep getting this message asking about my password

I'm currently using Korona 23

Thanks so much for any help with this

Last edited by robertg; 8th January 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:52 PM
Ahmad Samir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Login keyring prompts

Assuming you're using gnome, that seems to be the chromium gnome integration, i.e. chromium saves the passwords you use for web sites in the gnome login/default keyring.

Ideally the gnome login keyring is unlocked automatically when you log in if your user password is the same at the login keyring password. You can check using seahorse (a GUI app).
Old 11th January 2017, 05:40 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I also have one pc where gnome-keyring/seahorse is a pain in the butt, but it is not related to chrome but to gmail. In my case it keeps complaining the password is wrong even after I recreate the keyring and make damn sure it is right. I can't find much info on how this needs to be debugged, the only thing is compiling seahorse with some debug flags.
Old 12th January 2017, 12:25 PM
Ahmad Samir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
I also have one pc where gnome-keyring/seahorse is a pain in the butt, but it is not related to chrome but to gmail. In my case it keeps complaining the password is wrong even after I recreate the keyring and make damn sure it is right. I can't find much info on how this needs to be debugged, the only thing is compiling seahorse with some debug flags.
If it's asking you to unlock the login/default keyring then it's a similar problem to the OP's.

If however it's complaining that the gmail account password is incorrect then that's a different issue; most likely it's gnome-online-accounts (where you added your gmail account) that's complaining, I don't use gnome-online-accounts so I am not sure if there's currently a bug with authenticating gmail accounts or not.

You can try removing the account from gnome-control-center -> online accounts.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I did a Google search and found there are two file in one of the Gnome folders that has two file in it related to the keyring I deleted them and the problem went away. But each time I do a installation of korora on this machine it appears again
Generally speaking, you can control which password-storage backend chromium uses using the <b>--password-store</b> cli argument. Have a look at this for more details.

You can then modify the .desktop file used to launch chromium to make the change permanent.

IMHO, using either gnome-keyring or kwallet is preferred to storing the passwords using plain text....
Old 11th January 2017, 05:46 PM
robertg Offline

linuxchrome

I did a Google search and found there are two file in one of the Gnome folders that has two file in it related to the keyring I deleted them and the problem went away. But each time I do a installation of korora on this machine it appears again
Old 11th January 2017, 06:02 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
check with Korora for a resolution

Leslie
in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Tags
keyring, login, prompts