Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd October 2009, 05:27 AM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Any way to make an updated Fedora install DVD?

I would like to make a Fedora Install DVD of Fedora 11 with all the updates already applied because I feel the current state of Fedora is pretty solid and stable right now; I would really like to reuse it in the future in this nearly trouble free state it's in (along with maybe some audio fixes).

Is there any way to make an install DVD with the updates already applied on it?
Is there a way to download the repo and store it on a DVD or multiple DVDs?
Is there anyway to preinstall all the software and fixes on the install DVD?

These are my questions and thanks to all who help.
Old 22nd October 2009, 05:30 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Google for revisor
Old 29th October 2009, 04:53 PM
wt6g Offline

linuxfedoramozilla
beware of revisor. It has lots of issues. I tried it on an FC11 machine and it failed miserably after filling my disk with stuff that I had so much trouble finding I decided it was easier to reinstall, and I have not been that frustrated in a long time. I checked the site and it looks like it hasn't been touched in 18 months, so I think its a dead end.

On the other hand, if you pick up a copy of Linux Format this month they have a comprehensive article set on distributions that do support updated spins.

Clearly Fedora is missing the boat here. With the user base moving to virtual systems by the droves, installing a VM using a "current" Fedora spin is a huge waste of resources. Yes, you could make your own local repository to do your updates from, but again, what a waste. You've still got to move the data and process it each time.

Making a current spin with a clean set of current downloads would allow you to create an iso file that could then be used to create your virtual machines and have no downloads out of the box instead of the current requirement to bring in about 1G of "updates" just after install.

A lot of my colleagues are moving from Fedora because it's really out of control, and revisor is just another indication that Fedora is too focused on version numbers. It seems the developers have ADHD and need to move on long before they get the last version to work. That said, it's still my favorite distribution, I just wish they'd take out the trash before they start the next project.

There are a lot of other distros now that support respins and they actually work. If you make your own custom respin you can duplicate your environment wherever, whenever, and as frequently as you find useful. There are some great papers on using VirtualBox to clean up your desktop by creating small virtual machines targeted at projects which typically occupy your time.

I have found this to be very worthwhile, but most of my VM's are not based on Fedora anymore because to do an install is just too painful. (Yes, I know you can copy the vdi file if its small enough and appropriate for the next task, or even resize it, been there, done that, and its too much trouble). Custom respins of other distros install in minutes, and virtually unattended.

The following distributions support respins:

Ubuntu
Suse
Arch Linux
Gentoo
and Linux From Scratch which is a roll your own fully customized from source procedure documented in an ebook and part of Linux Formats included DVD.
Mandriva is coming along really well in this area too, but the real sleeper on the steepest polish curve is actually Debian, which was a bit of a surprise for me when I was trying all of the distributions (well top 15 anyway) to pick the one most suitable for VM replication.
Depending on what you are doing, CentOS is worth looking at. It's the stable and supported.
Old 29th October 2009, 07:50 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,

Without specific bug reports, I don't even know problems you are referring to. Impossible to solve that. The code does get updated quite often

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=revisor

If not, you might try pungi on the command line as well. Spins and VM's are for very different use cases. virt-manager and suite of command line tools in Fedora is way more comprehensive than any other distribution tools. So I guess you need to look into it more.
Old 29th October 2009, 07:50 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,

Without specific bug reports, I don't even know problems you are referring to. Impossible to solve that. The code does get updated quite often

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=revisor

If not, you might try pungi on the command line as well. Spins and VM's are for very different use cases. virt-manager and suite of command line tools in Fedora is way more comprehensive than any other distribution tools. So I guess you need to look into it more.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:01 PM
Gödel Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
You can download all the currently installed rpm packages with

Code:
mkdir rpms
cd rpms
for i in $(cat /var/log/rpmpkgs); do yumdownloader ${i%.*}; done
then burn to dvd and install on a fresh fedora install with rpm -Uhv <path to dvd>/*.rpm.
Old 10th January 2010, 06:27 PM
Silpheed2K Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks Gödel your advice saved me a lot of trouble. I tried to get Revisor to work and it was just too difficult to figure out for what I needed.. thanks

Tags
dvd, fedora, install, make, updated