Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th October 2009, 05:50 PM
mamoulian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
What sets $LANG on a KDE setup?

I can't see how $LANG, or /etc/sysconfig/i18n is supposed to be set on a KDE system.
The 'system settings' control panel has 'Personal -> Keyboard Layout' but that applies to X apps once the user has logged in to X, not the system, and provides a way of the user changing the keyboard at runtime. It's 'disabled' on mine because I never need to change the keyboard.

A Google search suggests running 'system-config-language'. This I did, it installed some en_GB rpm using PackageKit and edited /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

Someone opting for a KDE setup will not get directed to run that config as it's not part of 'system settings'.

As an aside, Anaconda put 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8' in my grub.conf. I changed this but it had no effect.
Old 24th October 2009, 05:53 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Hrrm, grub should have done it. I usually set it in $HOME/.bash_profile

This should take effect once you log in, whether to X or console.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 24th October 2009, 06:41 PM
mamoulian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Nope... maybe grub's setting applies until it is overridden by etc/sysconfig/i18n at some point in the boot sequence.

Still... there should be a noob-friendly obvious GUI way to set it.

I'd add a feature request to bugzilla... but should it go to the Fedora Project or KDE?

Actually, since you tell Anaconda which keyboard you have, shouldn't anaconda have set it in etc/sysconfig/i18n?
(additional to the grub.conf thing, which I think is an anaconda bug)
Old 24th October 2009, 08:50 PM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
That would make sense. I only need to set $LANG on very rare occasions and will do it in a little script to a call a program. I would try the .bash_profile then, and see if it brings joy. (Joy in this case, defined as lack of aggravation caused by an incorrect $LANG setting).

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 26th October 2009, 09:16 PM
mamoulian Offline

linuxfirefox
Have you tried running 'system-config-language'? That did it for me. Should be more of a 'proper' solution than kludging your bashrc, and would apply to apps started from X too.

My concern is that the Fedora install with KDE doesn't automatically set this for the user, or give him a way to set it from within kde-settings.
Old 27th October 2009, 02:21 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
No, I haven't, because, as I said, my need for it is very rare. (Not that it's a bad thing, of course, simply I haven't had the need).

Tags
$lang, kde, sets, setup