Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th March 2013, 05:38 PM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 18 Not Detecting Lenovo X230 Fingerprint Reader

I have a Lenovo X230 and am running Fedora 18. I have a Fingerprint reader on this machine which I use successfully during boot up. I would like to use this capability in unlocking my screen. I have libfprint, fingerprint-gui, etc. installed. I have it checked in Authentication app to engable fingerprint reader support. When I run lsusb, I see the device:

mswallow-> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 003 Device 009: ID 0f3d:68a2 Airprime, Incorporated
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 147e:2020 Upek TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF advanced mode)
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:b2ea Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Integrated Camera [ThinkPad]

but when I run fingerprint-gui, it says there's no device. This statement seems to say the support is in libfprint:

The upekts driver supports devices based on the UPEK TouchStrip chipset. These devices were originally engineered and manufactured by SGS Thomson Microelectronics but they split the business and formed UPEK in 2004. upekts is part of libfprint and is developed/maintained by Daniel Drake.

So how do I get this device activated? Any ideas?
Old 26th March 2013, 11:01 PM
LordMael Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 18 Not Detecting Lenovo X230 Fingerprint Reader

when you use fprintd-enroll <user> from a terminal what happens? does it enroll (if i remember it's 4 - 5 successful swipes)

if that works, does fprintd-list show the enrolled finger?

if that works, does fprintd-verify work?

also this is what I followed (just the portions related to installing and using fprintd not the portion about changing the pam configuration)
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=274858
Old 27th March 2013, 02:23 AM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox

Here is what I get:

mswallow-> fprintd-enroll mswallow
list_devices failed: No devices available

So my system is not finding my fingerprint reader...
Old 28th March 2013, 01:14 AM
helge000 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswal2846 View Post
So my system is not finding my fingerprint reader...
Hi,

yep, you are right. The UPek reader is not (yet) supported. This is the bad news. The good news: There is a project called fingerprint-gui witch actually supports this reader with a special lib.
For more advanced stuff you have to turn off SElinux though. And you cannot use it for initial log ins for some reason unknown to me. But: It is working fine for "sudo" commands and unlocking gonme-screensaver. I left SElinux enforcing off course; gnome-screensaver and sudo is all I need. You have to live with some (really only a few) AVC Denials though.

If you still want the Upek - Reader, read on:

Have a look here:
http://darkblue.homeip.net/fingerprint/

However, this is a ubuntu project (as far as I know). For fedora it needs patching and is a hell to compile; the forum was very at the site is very helpful. And have a look at the README.

After "make install" you have to set up some udev-rules and - of course - configure PAM. Then you have to add evey user who uses the reader (mostly this will only be you - its a notebook) to the "plugdev" group witch is created by make install. Because of the udev-rules: dont forget a "dracut -f". After a reboot you should be able to configure prints and use the reader. The model will not be shown - but dont worry, it will be configurable.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7809526/fin...ui-1.04.tar.gz
To help you start: This my ready-build version, pached for fedora and with the correct libs for the reader in upek/lib64. You may have to build it again, but try "make install" first. Then try "sudo fingerprint-gui" - the readter should work but because of sudo you cannot enroll any fingerprints.

Find attached my PAM and udev-config. After make install there will already be a file like this - but have a look at the last line with "2020" (the USB-ID of the reader).

Hope this helps. Now I only have to get my WWAN working again (fix is already in Rawhide kernel) and figure out tpm-luks

Cheers, Helge

Code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/91-fingerprint-gui-upek.rules 
# udev rules for fingerprint-gui (libbsapi)

# set permissions
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0483", ATTRS{idProduct}=="201[56]",   SYMLINK+="input/touchchip-%k", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="201[56]",   SYMLINK+="input/touchchip-%k", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="100[0123]", SYMLINK+="input/touchchip-%k", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="300[01]",   SYMLINK+="input/touchchip-%k", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="500[23]",   SYMLINK+="input/touchchip-%k", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2020",   	SYMLINK+="input/touchchip-%k", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"

# enable power saving
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0483", ATTRS{idProduct}=="201[56]",   ATTR{power/control}=="*", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="201[56]",   ATTR{power/control}=="*", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="100[0123]", ATTR{power/control}=="*", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="300[01]",   ATTR{power/control}=="*", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="500[23]",   ATTR{power/control}=="*", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="147e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2020",   	ATTR{power/control}=="*", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
And PAM:
Code:
$ cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
# User changes will be destroyed the next time authconfig is run.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth 	    sufficient	  pam_fingerprint-gui.so -d try_first_identified
auth        sufficient    pam_fprintd.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 1000 quiet_success
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 1000 quiet
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_pwquality.so try_first_pass retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
-session     optional      pam_systemd.so
session     optional      pam_mkhomedir.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so
Code:
$ cat /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth
#%PAM-1.0
#auth 	    [success=2 default=ignore]	pam_fingerprint-gui.so try_first_identified
auth 	    sufficient    pam_fingerprint-gui.so -d try_first_identified

session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
Code:
$ cat /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth
#%PAM-1.0
#auth 	    [success=2 default=ignore]	pam_fingerprint-gui.so try_first_identified
auth 	    sufficient    pam_fingerprint-gui.so -d try_first_identified

[daniel@helgebook3 src]$ cat /etc/pam.d/gdm-fingerprint 
auth        substack      fingerprint-auth
auth        include       postlogin

account     required      pam_nologin.so
account     include       fingerprint-auth

password    include       fingerprint-auth

session     required      pam_selinux.so close
session     required      pam_loginuid.so
session     optional      pam_console.so
-session    optional    pam_ck_connector.so
session     required      pam_selinux.so open
session     optional      pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session     required      pam_namespace.so
session     include       fingerprint-auth
session     include       postlogin
Old 28th March 2013, 02:13 AM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox

ok, thanks! I'll work this over the weekend and post my results .. thanks again!
Old 29th March 2013, 04:43 PM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox

Wow, had a bit of a scare. So here is what I did:

1. I tried to do a "Make Install" of your file, but there were items that wanted to install into directory "Daniel" .... so
2. I had to perform a "Make", which encountered problems ... so
3. Did the following:

Code:
mswallow-> qmake-qt4 LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64
mswallow-> make
cd bin/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/bin.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd bin/ && make -f Makefile 
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin'
cd fingerprint-gui/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-gui/fingerprint-gui.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-gui/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-gui'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -o fingerprint-gui DeviceHandler.o PermissionHandler.o AboutImpl.o ExistDialogImpl.o Fingerprint.o FingerprintData.o UpekDevice.o GenericDevice.o FingerprintGUI.o MainWindowImpl.o SavedDialogImpl.o MessageDialogImpl.o PamTester.o xmlwriter.o UserSettings.o UsbDevice.o moc_DeviceHandler.o moc_AboutImpl.o moc_ExistDialogImpl.o moc_Fingerprint.o moc_FingerprintDevice.o moc_FingerprintData.o moc_MainWindowImpl.o moc_SavedDialogImpl.o moc_MessageDialogImpl.o moc_PamTester.o qrc_GUI-res.o qrc_About-res.o    -L/usr/lib64 -lusb-1.0 -lfprint -lpam -ldl -L/usr/lib64 -lqca -lpthread -lQtXml -lQtGui -lQtCore 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-gui'
cd fingerprint-suid/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-suid/fingerprint-suid.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-suid/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-suid'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -o fingerprint-suid FingerprintSuid.o    -L/usr/lib64 -lQtGui -lQtCore -lpthread 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-suid'
cd fingerprint-identifier/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-identifier/fingerprint-identifier.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-identifier/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-identifier'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -o fingerprint-identifier DeviceHandler.o PermissionHandler.o UsbDevice.o UpekDevice.o GenericDevice.o FingerprintData.o FingerprintDiscoverer.o IdentifierGUI.o FingerprintIdentifier.o moc_DeviceHandler.o moc_FingerprintDevice.o moc_FingerprintData.o moc_FingerprintDiscoverer.o moc_IdentifierGUI.o qrc_widget-res.o    -L/usr/lib64 -lusb-1.0 -lfprint -lpam -ldl -lpthread -lQtGui -lQtCore 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-identifier'
cd fingerprint-pam/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-pam/fingerprint-pam.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-pam/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-pam'
rm -f libpam_fingerprint-gui.so
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -shared -o libpam_fingerprint-gui.so FingerprintPAM.o    -lpam  
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-pam'
cd fingerprint-plugin/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-plugin/fingerprint-plugin.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-plugin/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-plugin'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -o fingerprint-plugin PluginDialog.o FingerprintPlugin.o moc_PluginDialog.o qrc_widget-res.o    -L/usr/lib64 -lpthread -lQtGui -lQtCore 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-plugin'
cd fingerprint-helper/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-helper/fingerprint-helper.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-helper/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-helper'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -o fingerprint-helper DeviceHandler.o PermissionHandler.o UsbDevice.o UpekDevice.o GenericDevice.o FingerprintData.o FingerprintDiscoverer.o xmlwriter.o UserSettings.o PamGUI.o PamNonGUI.o FingerprintHelper.o moc_DeviceHandler.o moc_FingerprintDevice.o moc_FingerprintData.o moc_FingerprintDiscoverer.o moc_PamGUI.o moc_PamNonGUI.o qrc_widget-res.o    -L/usr/lib64 -lusb-1.0 -lfprint -lfakekey -lX11 -ldl -L/usr/lib64 -lqca -lpthread -lQtXml -lQtGui -lQtCore 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-helper'
cd fingerprint-polkit-agent/ && /usr/bin/qmake-qt4 /home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-polkit-agent/fingerprint-polkit-agent.pro LIBPOLKIT_QT=LIBPOLKIT_QT_1_1 LIB=lib64 -o Makefile
cd fingerprint-polkit-agent/ && make -f Makefile 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-polkit-agent'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,relro -o fingerprint-polkit-agent PluginDialog.o PolkitListener.o PolkitDialogImpl.o FingerprintPolkit.o moc_PolkitListener.o moc_PolkitDialogImpl.o moc_PluginDialog.o qrc_widget-res.o    -L/usr/lib64 -lusb-1.0 -lfprint -lX11 -lpolkit-qt-agent-1 -lpolkit-qt-core-1 -lpthread -lQtGui -lQtCore 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin/fingerprint-polkit-agent'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mswallow/Myfiles/Downloads/Fingerprint/Forum/fingerprint-gui-1.04/bin'
mswallow-> sudo make install
4. Then rebooted
5. Then heart attack time: When I logged on I got a "Oh No! Something has gone wrong!"
6. Was able to get into terminal mode (Alt-Ctrl-F2) and did a "Make Uninstall" and was able to get STARTX working

So, what did I do wrong?
Old 29th March 2013, 05:11 PM
helge000 Offline

linuxchrome

It seems you are out of luck... indeed I never realized this because I use Cinnamon desktop.

I just tried GNOME and had the same error. Please try the following:

1. Set SELINUX to permissive; reboot, check GNOME
2. Comment out the fingerprint stuff in pam.d/system-auth, check again GNOME
3. Uninstall fingerprint-gui (sudo make uninstall)

Step 2&3 take you back to square one off cousre...

4. Give cinnamon a try; it is build from GNOME; but much more stable IMHO.:
sudo yum groupinstall "Cinnamon Desktop"

I am very interested if you get GNOME to work! So please check back here.

Cheers, Helge
Old 9th May 2013, 11:46 AM
Zerusnet Offline

linuxfirefox

Well... there is a solution. You'll need to rebuild the RPM with a correct patch. For those who want to quickly resolve this issue, I'm attaching my RPMs.

So what needs to be done:

1. Find the source RPM of libfprint for your distro (I can't write the link, because these forums limit number of links in posts... great idea btw. )
2. Get the patch from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/patch/?id=3b3679c900f6739f7067f8d720e15d548bb39be9
4. edit the specfile ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/libfprint.spec (edit release, add "Patch0: libfprint-2020.patch" under the line "Source0: ...", and add %patch0 -p1 under %setup -q)
5. Save the patch you downloaded to ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/libfprint-2020.patch
6. rpmbuild -bb ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/libfprint.spec

Then you'll just install the rpm via "yum localinstall".

Works with T430, in X230 is the same reader (from lsusb above) so it should work too.

SRPM is attached as well.
Attached Files
File Type: rpm libfprint-0.5.0-1.ztf.1.fc18.x86_64.rpm (479.5 KB, 255 views)
File Type: rpm libfprint-devel-0.5.0-1.ztf.1.fc18.x86_64.rpm (111.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: rpm libfprint-0.5.0-1.ztf.1.fc18.src.rpm (487.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 9th May 2013, 01:03 PM
helge000 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerusnet View Post
Well... there is a solution. You'll need to rebuild the RPM with a correct patch. For those who want to quickly resolve this issue, I'm attaching my RPMs.
Zerusnet,

thank you, made my day! Finally I can get rid of fingerprint-gui. Strange though, the upstream patch was from Jan 13th and has not yet made it into FC18...

I confirm it works on my X230. Nevertheless I had first to remove libfprint along with its dependencies fprintd*. Reinstalling fprintd* worked fine. After this I was able to enroll fingerprints via User Settings prefs.

Cheers, and thanks for providing the ready-build RPM!
Helge

Last edited by helge000; 9th May 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 9th May 2013, 06:13 PM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox

I agree with Helge, made my day too!

All I had to do was install the RPMs, then go to

1. Authentication Confirmation under Application -> Other
2. Selected both Enable Fingerprint Reader Support and Enable Local Access Control

Then go to

1. User Accounts
2. Unlock
3. Enable Fingerprint Login
4. Follow the prompts to (pick a finger, slide the finger 5 times, etc)

All done.

Thank you!!
Old 28th May 2013, 01:03 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
windows_7chrome

Nice! I was looking for this for a new install on my Lenovo lappy..thanks!

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 16th June 2013, 02:43 AM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 19 Not Detecting Lenovo X230 Fingerprint Reader

I've generated the rpm's for Fedora 19 that allows this to function on my Lenovo X230. I had to first uninstall fprintd and libfprint, then install libfprint attached (built following the above directions), then installed fprintd. This resulted in adding the option to activate fingerprint reader under Setting -> USERS .... hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: rpm libfprint-0.5.0-2.fc19.x86_64.rpm (474.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: rpm libfprint-devel-0.5.0-2.fc19.x86_64.rpm (111.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 16th June 2013, 01:23 PM
mswal2846 Offline

linuxfirefox

What tar file(s) are you trying to install?
Old 19th August 2013, 10:50 PM
helge000 Offline

linuxchrome

As of today the patch is now officially part of libfprint in Fedora: libfprint-0.5.1-1.fc19.x86_64
It has been in upsteam since January but has never found its way to Fedora, it seems: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/
Thanks again mswal for making my fingerprint reader work all the time!

Tags
detecting, fedora, fingerprint, lenovo, reader, x230