Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th November 2009, 01:43 AM
orc_dragoon Offline

windows_vistaopera
Adding Windows Recovery to Grub

For some reason the fedora grub didnt detect my windows recovery partition ( Im on a netbook ).

How would I go into adding that to grub.

Its on /dev/sda2
Old 10th November 2009, 01:59 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by orc_dragoon

For some reason the fedora grub didnt detect my windows recovery partition
Hello orc_dragoon,

Actually, I don't think Anaconda cares about that. It's the Windows partition that it's trying to configure GRUB for. But it often botches it and accidentally targets a recovery or utility partition. Anaconda is a sucker for falling for (hd0,0) if it's a Windows partition whether it's the right one or not. Anyway, to intentionally launch that partition, try editing the grub.conf and adding a section for it. Example...
Code:
title Windows Recovery
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
It may or may not work. No promises.

P.S.: I would expect that recovery process to wipe the drive and restore it to its like-new condition. That sounds to me like it will do away with Fedora, other new partitions you've created, and your personal files. Be careful with that.

Last edited by stoat; 10th November 2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10th November 2009, 05:45 PM
jimc52 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
That is exactly what happend and how I fixed it!

I just installed FC11 after installing Windows 7 and sure enough, Anaconda did just exactly as you said it might. It referred to the Windows 7 hard disk as hd0,0. And you are exactly right about fixing the problem...change hd0,0 to hd0,1 in grub.config and that fixes the problem!

Windows 7, BTW now creates a 100 mb RESERVED partition, which I think is equivalent to the Linux SWAP partition. So I think Anaconda got the reserved partition mixed up with the O/S partition. On a wild hunch, I edited grub.config and did the exact change you suggested, rebooted, and VOILA! The problem was solved.

Tags
adding, grub, recovery, windows