Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:50 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox
Changing from VBox to KVM/QEMU?

Given that Oracle seems to be growing increasingly hostile, it seems that it might be good to migrate off of VirtualBox to KVM/QEMU. However, I have some concerns.

VirtualBox (Oracle's version, not the OSE edition) supports USB devices and setting up a shared directory that I can use to share files between the host machine and the guest machines. Does a virtual machine under KVM/QEMU have that same capability?

Does sound work correctly with KVM/QEMU?
Does a Windows VM in KVM/QEMU support DirectX? (that is one area which has given me nothing but problems in VBox.)

There is only one of my virtual machines which I would like to migrate. The others are not as critical and I could recreate them. The one VM is a virtual Vista machine. The container is in .vmdk format.

How hard is it to do such a migration? Does anyone know of a guide for doing such things? I didn't see one in my searching.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

I will answer my own questions.

KVM/QEMU is not a viable substitute at this time for VBox.

I installed virtualization and tried it on a copy of the virtual machine (making sure I had a current backup )

While it appears to support USB, a shared directory for file exchange is not that straight-forward as it is in VBox.

Sound does not work. and video seems to be quite limited, moreso than in VBox.

Although I could tough it through and get it working for the basics, ultimately, it is too limited to use at the present time. Maybe after more development, but not now.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Tags
changing, kvm or qemu, vbox