Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 8th December 2013, 01:20 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: PostInstallerF

Possibly it installed from the Russian Fedora repo, then. When I tried out Postinstallerf for Fedora 19, it installed an old version of flash, and not from the adobe repo.

Ahhh.. haaa.. Looking back through my yum history.. I found out what happened. I never told postinstallrf to install the flash plugin since I had already installed it from the adobe repo.. But, when you first run postinstallerf, it does an update... Since I had flash-plugin installed, it updated it, but with an older version.

Code:
    Updated     flash-plugin-11.2.202.327-release.x86_64           @adobe-linux-x86_64
    Update                   7:11.2.202.310-1.R.x86_64             @russianfedora-nonfree-updates
It appears the Russian Fedora people stuck an epoch on there which makes yum think it's a more recent version.
Old 19th December 2013, 02:52 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Debo, thanks again for a nice way to complete F20. The only glitch I ran into was Google Earth, which borked. Might want to check on that.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 28th December 2013, 05:16 AM
debo2011 Offline

windows_7firefox
Lightbulb Re: PostInstallerF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Debo, thanks again for a nice way to complete F20. The only glitch I ran into was Google Earth, which borked. Might want to check on that.
Hi, thanks, maybe I need to make a new rpm for Fedora, all people had the same problem with the oficial rpm from Google...
Old 30th December 2013, 05:40 PM
debo2011 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Bob, I made a new rpm, work for me but, please check

64 bits

Code:
su -c 'yum -y install http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/fedora/releases/20/x86_64/updates/google-earth-7.1.2.2041-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm'
32bits

coming soon..
Old 30th December 2013, 06:51 PM
bob Online

linuxfirefox

Sorry, but I've got it working from another source and run into conflicts if I try to use yours. Hope someone else gives it a shot though.

Old 31st December 2013, 12:19 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo2011 View Post
Bob, I made a new rpm, work for me but, please check

64 bits

Code:
su -c 'yum -y install http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/fedora/releases/20/x86_64/updates/google-earth-7.1.2.2041-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm'
32bits

coming soon..
Google Earth installed fine with this file on two different computers. One was a Netbook with AMD graphics. It launched and ran just fine. The second was a desktop system with Nvidia graphics and the Nvidia driver installed. While it launched fine, where the Earth should have been was only a black circle with some marks on it.

I am pretty sure this is a problem with Nvidia and OpenGL, not with Google Earth.

Edit: I was prompted by this to do a bit of searching. There is a setting in Google Earth under the 3D options for "Compress" which is checked. When unchecked, the globe appears as expected. I found the solution here:

https://productforums.google.com/for...Y/vBixr8TS3qsJ

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Last edited by StephenH; 31st December 2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Found solution
Old 4th January 2014, 04:59 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

Can anyone tell me how I stop postinstallerf doing a system update when I start it and before I get to select anything? This behavior is rather annoying. Also might I request that the software to be installed is sorted alphabetically as it would make finding what is needed much more straight forward?

Stuart

Last edited by broadstairs; 4th January 2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12th January 2014, 09:59 AM
debo2011 Offline

linuxfirefox

@Stuart

You can sort it alphabetically by clicking on the first line The current order PostInstallerF programs are the priority for a novice user ..

Updates at the beginning of the program, are necessary because few people update their system.
Old 12th January 2014, 10:23 AM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo2011 View Post
@Stuart

You can sort it alphabetically by clicking on the first line The current order PostInstallerF programs are the priority for a novice user ..

Updates at the beginning of the program, are necessary because few people update their system.
Yes I discovered that.

However the update thing is annoying and in my view should be an option not a requisite as I do update my system but ALWAYS review the updates before doing any and I dont like anything to stop me from doing this. I believe this is a fundamental flaw with this program.

Stuart
Old 15th January 2014, 05:32 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

Can I please make a strong request that the system update be made an option which can be turned off when starting postinstallerf. I really dont need to do this on a system which is kept up to date and it is extremely frustrating waiting for this (for me) completely unnecessary step. I try to avoid using it if at all possible because of this.

Stuart
Old 15th January 2014, 05:54 PM
bob Online

linuxfirefox

Stuart, maybe you would assist Debo2011 with the coding to handle that change? He's just another user, like yourself, and has dedicated many, many hours to putting this together and keeping it current.

Old 15th January 2014, 06:02 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

Well I'll certainly take a look. I did think it might be a quick change for someone who already knows the code. To be honest if I do manage to figure it out I'd just turn it off completely for me anyway. My problem is that it updates everything and gives the user no alternatives. I'm sorry but I really cant see the point of it doing this.

Stuart
Old 17th January 2014, 05:52 AM
debo2011 Offline

linuxfirefox
Smile Re: PostInstallerF

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
Well I'll certainly take a look. I did think it might be a quick change for someone who already knows the code. To be honest if I do manage to figure it out I'd just turn it off completely for me anyway. My problem is that it updates everything and gives the user no alternatives. I'm sorry but I really cant see the point of it doing this.

Stuart
Don't worry, I'm working on scheduled updates.

The purpose of PostInstallerF is particularly help the end user. Whoever is interested in the system work without their intervention.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:52 PM
debo2011 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post

Stuart

New updates, Your suggestions are heard

enjoy
Old 21st February 2014, 03:40 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

I have just run the Activate touchpad from start on my Laptop with F20 KDE and now all I get is a black screen instead of the KDE Login Manager which I can see has started. How do I undo whatever it is which PostInstallerF has done to activate this? I need to be able to login. Also if this is a Gnome only option surely it should say so.

Stuart

Update: Well managed to get into a shell and found there wass a syntax error in 50-synaptics.conf which was stopping X starting, so removed that and now been able to boot up. This should not happen! Will fix file and put it back. Well it seems I dont need it for touchpad to work but still tapping wont work in Login Manager, OH well will fix that later.

Last edited by broadstairs; 21st February 2014 at 04:08 PM.

Tags
postinstallation fedora, postinstallerf, repositories, scripts, sudeenly