Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st October 2009, 05:46 PM
archimede Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Unhappy F11 - Acer Aspire 5738Z built-in mic not working

Hi all.

Can somebody help me solve this problem?

Everything works fine except the damn built-in microphone.

I did follow this guide to no avail (that is, no errors, but still no go with the mic - no problem with the speakers).

The only application I have to test the mic is Skype and when I try to make a test call I only hear a loud noise instead of my voice.

No problems when I use my USB headset.

Also note I'm kinda newbie, but willing to learn.

TIA.

Alessandro
Old 21st October 2009, 10:03 PM
Deonis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I am not sure I understand you correctly. You actually trying to use your build in speakers at the same time as your microphone ? If yes you might have a problem with loud noise because of your microphone sort of lock up on your speakers. Good test to do is to use a headphones and completely tern off your build in speakers.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:28 PM
archimede Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for taking time to reply and apologies if my post wasn't clear.

When I use my USB headset (with its own microphone) I can hear and talk without any issues.

I'm trying to configure my built-in mic (and speakers) so that I can use Skype without my USB headset (which is unplugged while I'm doing these tests, if that's what you were asking): unfortunately, while I can hear perfectly through the built-in speakers, I'm unable to properly configure the mic.

Is it clearer now?

Alessandro
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:32 AM
Deonis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Your post was fine ! Did you try to use headphones while using your build in microphone ? Do you still have a problem with a noise?
Anyway question is more like if you open this:
gnome-sound-recorder
# in terminal and press record while you microphone is on will you be able to record any sound ? If yes your problem is interference with a speakers. If not your microphone is not on and you need to go here: gst-mixer (type in terminal)
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:14 AM
archimede Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deonis View Post
Did you try to use headphones while using your build in microphone ? Do you still have a problem with a noise?
I don't have them with me at the moment, so can't test now, but...
Quote:
if you open this:
gnome-sound-recorder
# in terminal and press record while you microphone is on will you be able to record any sound ?
Nope, if by sound you mean something which is not the hiss I hear.
Quote:
your microphone is not on and you need to go here: gst-mixer
I did, but I'm not sure how to proceed from here...

I tried the various devices there (BTW, which one would be "correct" in my case?) and changing the input volume level in sound preferences, but I keep getting only noise.

Alessandro
Old 28th October 2009, 06:19 PM
archimede Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Bump.

Is there anything else I might try?

Alessandro
Old 19th April 2010, 03:11 PM
Abhorred Offline

windows_vistaie
Re: F11 - Acer Aspire 5738Z built-in mic not working

Got the same comp. and after I got it back from service I have the same problem. But prior to the "fix" it was working fine, which tells me that the built-in mike is prone to malfunction.. No ammount of settings can correct it, personally Im taking it back to the store and demanding they fix it, heh
Old 15th May 2010, 04:19 PM
schaz Offline

windows_7safari

I have the same problem and after I install the audio driver in acer.com and the built-in mic starts working in skype!
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:09 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaz View Post
I have the same problem and after I install the audio driver in acer.com and the built-in mic starts working in skype!
What driver are you talking about, the Windows driver? There is no Linux driver available. Are you saying that if I install the Windows driver on the Windows side, then the microphone will start working on the Linux side?

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Tags
5738z, acer, aspire, builtin, f11, mic, working