Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th December 2012, 04:23 AM
thibdb Offline

linuxfirefox
Backup recovery problem

Hello,

some days ago I needed to reorganize my pc and change my partitions and so I decided to try the back-up tool.
I made separated back-ups for each user on my computer and for my own directory I also decided to make use of encryption.
The whole got saved on a usb-stick.
The "normal" users had a directory whith files called "duplicity-full-20121221T222901Z.volxx.difftar" (where xx is the number of the volume) + a "manifest" and a "signature" file.
My own (encrypted) files had the same namestructure but with .gpg at the end.
Just to be sure, I also decided to unpack my "own" back-up files and the result was put in a separated directory with the following subdirectories: "multivol_snapshot", "signature", "snapshot".

After the new installation, I did not get any problem recovering the data for the normal users but to my surprised I found out that about the half of my back-up files disappeared.

Trying to recovery data's from the left files does not work even if I change the content of the "manifest" file.
I also tried to recover data's from each back-up file separately but it neither does work, I get the following message:
Invalid data - SHA1 hash mismatch for file:
duplicity-full.20121221T222901Z.vol93.difftar
Calculated hash: ac4a19e65c128fda97dc977ec10b5ed74ad35f87
Manifest hash: 98cea569a2bce93a12b2eccf44937702c5864345

Finally I thought that going to the saved directories (snapshot, multivol_snapshot, signature) could help me but the only files that I can correctly recover are docx files. LibreOffice, pdf and pictures files seem to be split into various little files. For example, for a picture, I find a directory "nameofthepicture.jpg" and in this directory I find six files of 65,5 KB. I presume I should have to assemble all this files to get my picture back but I do not know how to do that.

Could someone tell me if there is a chance to save the situation and, if yes, how to do this?

Thank you

Thibaud
Old 29th December 2012, 01:06 PM
thibdb Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Backup recovery problem

So, after many hours of work I found some solutions.
The files in the directory "snapshot" are all OK and I just had to move them to the right place.
For the files in the directory "multivol_snapshot", I used the recommendations found on that link: https://live.gnome.org/DejaDup/Help/...toring_by_Hand

Using cat to reassemble the files works well when the files in question are not split into more than 9 parts.

When you are in the last situation, you can use the followong command:
cat `ls [0-9]* | sort -n` > nameofthefile.extension
see also: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/186098

There also seems to exist a script to help you in such situations but I did not try it.
More informations at: https://gist.github.com/1365425/0a4a...07fadceb6bad4b

Tags
backup, problem, recovery