Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2012, 03:05 AM
robert-e Offline

linuxiceweasel
linux (still) just works!

Hi all,
While at a flea market in California last winter, I picked up an USB belkin bluetooth dongle, thinking that it was time I learned some things about bluetooth. Well, I first got it working under vista (which I hate), just to see it the darn thing worked. I then spent about 8 hours trying to get it working under xp. Well, no joy there...a result of Microsoft's "do it my way", and the crappy belkin software. I first ran into belkin misery a few years ago with a belkin wireless card. That too was a hair pulling exercise.
Well, to make a long story short, I plugged the thing into my linux laptop, started the bluetooth manager, connected, and started vlc. Vlc did not work with it, but when I tried totem, with worked right right off, playing through the bt headset.
I do have to say that this all worked under debian stable. I got quite weary of the ati and nvidia breakages with fedora. I still have a liking for fedora. Never-the-less, I am happy. I learned some things, and still have to figure out why vlc does not work. However, I can listen to good music while I fiddle, without the xyl complaining about the noise.

Regards,
Bob
Old 29th May 2012, 04:26 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: linux (still) just works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-e View Post
I can listen to good music while I fiddle
Is that a comment on your fiddling abilities, are you a terrific multitasker, or have I just completely misread this?
Old 29th May 2012, 04:57 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Never underestimate the manual dexterity of a brass pounder. <....>
Old 29th May 2012, 06:22 AM
robert-e Offline

linuxiceweasel

Hi hi...Heck, I have been fiddling all my life, and since I got retreaded, I have even more time for it. all kidding aside, I have spent much of my spare time learning about linux. I have to thank fedora for much of that learning. My daughters boyfriend suggested that I try fedora, for a maximum learning experience, and he was right. Much of the credit goes to Hughsie, and Lennart for the learning opportunities during my love/hate relationship with fedora. No matter, that is all water under the bridge. I might add that the advent of gnome 3 pretty much put the kibosh on any further todo with fedora. No accelerated video drivers would make gnome 3 run like a real dog. I will say this: not a day goes by that I don't drop in here a read what my old friends are up to.
@sonoran...I still wonder if I will meet up with you for a pie and coffee sometime during one of the winter in the south country. I hang out near a small town called Holtville, Ca. until near the end of march.

73 gentlemen,
Bob