Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:53 AM
dchester11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Problems importing pics and related software

Hey All.

I've realy got myself in corner and I don't think I can Google my way out of it anymore.

My goal is to import and organize photos from my SD Card

I have a built in SD Card Reader on my Toshiba Satellite A205 with Fedora 12 installed

1st: I tried to just use gThumb but some of the images wouldn't render after import.
- Also at this point, I selected for Fedora to automatically open gThumb Import when I enter the SD Card. Now I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that. If anyone could answer this too, i would be very grateful

2nd: I tried f-spot but it also wouldn't render some of the images after import and I don't like that it orders the photos by day and doesn't let you manage it yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong with this.

Now: I loved Picasa on Windows so I loaded the Picasa 3.0 RPM. I had an apparently common problem with the Wine preloader being blocked by SELinux. I followed the SELinux recommendation to lift the restriction. I realize its not as safe but I thought if I could get Picasa to work I could live with it. But I can't seem to import from Picasa either! When I start an import from Picasa it gets about 20 pictures though and then stops with the following error:
Code:
An error has ocurred during importing. Either the source is unavailable or the destination is full or readonly. (11)
And also the gThumb import window opens... actually as I'm writing this, it probably is the auto action i set up earlier that's throwing it off. That would probably make the "source unavailable" like the error implies.

Any pointers on any of this? I would like to remove the auto load behavior i set up when entering an sd card. If anyone has any other ideas why I can't view all of the images in the other programs i'd like to give them a fair evaluation also. A few of them render ok, but most of them just show a broken image link.

Thank you in advance!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:17 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Problems importing pics and related software

If thats Gnome you are using I would open System -> Preferences -> File Management, go to the Media tab and look at the Media Handling or Other Media actions.
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:45 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfedorafirefox

Can you just manually copy the image files out of the SD card using your file manager? The SD card should appear just as another removable storage device.

My ancient laptop has some problem recognizing SD cards when inserted (Probably some regression in recent kernel or HAL update. Haven't bothered to find out). But once it get mounted there's no problem reading from/writing to it.

Can it happen that the filesystem on the SD card is corrupted and needs a fsck?

Or does the "destination is full or read only" part make sense? Is the hard disk partition you're saving the images to full or nearly full?
Old 4th April 2010, 09:33 PM
dchester11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well I've been trying to figure this out still...

I removed the autoplay rule for the sd card... thanks Schwangler.

I still receive the error though when importing in Picasa. But I also get errors when copying through the file manager saying 'Error reading from file: Input/output error'. My disk is probably only 10% full. When I browse the photos directly on the SD Card they are fine, but after attempting to copy them over and getting the errors, some of the photos are only half way there and the other half will be black.

Using a terminal I get _different_ errors

cp /media/FC30-3DA9/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_2530.JPG /home/DChesterman/Pictures/ seems to work

but

cp /media/FC30-3DA9/DCIM/100CANON/* /home/DChesterman/Pictures/

gives me a host of

cp: cannot stat `/media/FC30-3DA9/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_2715.JPG': No such file or directory

and

cp: reading `/media/FC30-3DA9/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_2539.JPG': Input/output error

errors and a bunch of halfway imported files.
Old 4th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Try a different SD card, and carefully check the seating of the card in the slot. I have also seem similar behavior when a card is pulled before unmounting, or when the photos on the card are deleted before the transfer is complete. Be sure to give the system plenty of time to move the photo files before interrupting it in any way.

EDIT:

Looking back over your posts ... I tend to think you may have a failing SD card.
Old 4th April 2010, 09:57 PM
seaoss Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have similar problems when trying to transfer via bluetooth.
I also find that my SD card reading is intermittent under f12. If it was a problem with the card, surely the issue would show up when the card is in the camera?
NVIDIA® GeForce® G 105M
Broadcom 43225 wireless card

Two wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do...
Old 4th April 2010, 10:42 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

One other possibility is the card reader itself. My reader fails on a new, 2 gig card. Plugging the camera directly into a USB slot reads the photos perfectly. I suspect that some dirt may have gotten into the slot, but it's far too small to play with, especially with an easy workaround.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 4th April 2010, 10:45 PM
seaoss Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
One other possibility is the card reader itself. My reader fails on a new, 2 gig card. Plugging the camera directly into a USB slot reads the photos perfectly. I suspect that some dirt may have gotten into the slot, but it's far too small to play with, especially with an easy workaround.
i would hope not on my new laptop but possible as when i used the card in another laptop and shelled in, it read it - but then again, i removed the card from the laptop that worked and it worked in the current (new) one - sorry if that sounds confusing
NVIDIA® GeForce® G 105M
Broadcom 43225 wireless card

Two wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do...

Last edited by seaoss; 4th April 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 04:39 AM
dchester11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yeah that's a drag that it would work under my Windows boot but not under Fedora. I will have to try with the USB cord I suppose.

Does anyone know of any peripheral specific reporting area where i can see if anyone has had a success with my combination of hardware... well I think I just answered my question... would this be better in the Hardware forum?

Does anyone know of any utilities to test the connection in these readers.

Mine's built in... not sure how to figure out what kind it is.

My SD Card is a Lexar 2GB Premium 60x. Anyone have luck with that one?

Tags
fedora 12, picasa, sd card