Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2012, 06:13 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: MacBook Pro, F16 and Snow Leopard → Lion migration... HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
Yes, but jonathonp has explicitly said that he's built and installed GRUB 2 from source code.
In post #47 when he said he gave up on Lubuntu, removed it, and was going with Fedora 17, its partitioning requirements for an HFS+ EFI System partition only happens when you're booted in EFI mode on a Mac. And the only bootloader option you get is GRUB Legacy EFI.

So if he's building GRUB2 again from within Fedora 17 that's totally unnecessary because he can get it pre-built from repo, fully updated and patched. I tested GRUB2 this last weekend on both my Macs and it works which is a recent thing (recent being in the last couple of months).

Quote:
OTOH, if he's switched from that installation to Fedora's GRUB Legacy, then either he didn't mention it or I've missed that detail. Clarification is certainly in order.
By virtue of moving to Fedora 17, he's moved to GRUB Legacy EFI on Apple hardware, UNLESS he chose the Windows option when booting the Mac. Fedora 17 BIOS = GRUB2. Fedora 17 EFI = GRUB Legacy EFI.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:03 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismurphy View Post
In post #47 when he said he gave up on Lubuntu, removed it, and was going with Fedora 17
That's the same post in which he gave his lengthy description of building and installing GRUB 2. If he'd abandoned all that work, why report it?

Quote:
By virtue of moving to Fedora 17, he's moved to GRUB Legacy EFI on Apple hardware, UNLESS he chose the Windows option when booting the Mac.
Not necessarily. A boot loader that remained from before could still be installed, especially if it was locally built and not tied to any deleted installation.

The bottom line: We need confirmation from jonathonp about what he's using; otherwise at least one of us is chasing his tail and wasting the time of everybody reading this thread.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:01 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
That's the same post in which he gave his lengthy description of building and installing GRUB 2. If he'd abandoned all that work, why report it?

Not necessarily. A boot loader that remained from before could still be installed, especially if it was locally built and not tied to any deleted installation.

The bottom line: We need confirmation from jonathonp about what he's using; otherwise at least one of us is chasing his tail and wasting the time of everybody reading this thread.
Hi there. sorry about the misunderstanding with regard to the grub source code 2.0 installation. At that time i was testing Lubuntu 12.04 x64 with grub 2.0 compiled from source since i could not find a pre compiled binary for easy installation with Lubuntu.

I did try and build debs but got bogged down with compiling errors. I wanted to see if there was any benefit from using grub 2.0 with Lubuntu 12.04. . When the grub rescue prompt appeared i used the supergrub cd to boot Lubuntu.

I reported my findings with Lubuntu for interest sake because at that time i had not been able to install the Fedora 17 XFCE x86_64 Live CD.

After experimenting with Lubuntu i decided to have another go at installing Fedora 17 XFCE x86_x64 on the MAC. I used livecd-tools to build a new fedora 17 live cd image. The installation went fine after resolving the /boot/efi HFS+ partition error/requirement during partitioning and realising that if i hold down the option key (on the MAC) long enough the boot CD menu appears and Fedora boots successfully unlike it did with rEFInd (when the live CD showed up in the rEFInd menu, the fedora live CD would not boot).

Now i have Fedora 17 XFCE x86x64 installed on the MAC I have been wanting to chainload OSX with the version of grub (legacy) that was installed with the Fedora live CD. I was confused when grub2 commands were not giving me a boot menu. Chris pointed out to me that Fedora 17 uses Grub legacy when booting macs in EFI mode which meant I was editing the wrong file. Having another shot at it. now. The thread has been very informative and helpful thanks Chris and Rod. I think many people will find this thread helpful.

Edit:
Using
Code:
Grub 0.97-93.fc17

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM

Last edited by jonathonp; 18th October 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:55 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried many variations with the code below to get grub to chainload OSX but fails to work everytime:

Code:
gedit /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.conf

Code:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file.
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and
#          initrd paths are relative to /boot, eg.
#          root (hd0,3)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda5
#          initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
title MacBookPro
  insmod hfsplus
  set root=(hd0,2)
  chainloader +1 (hd0,2)/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

boot=/dev/sda4
device (hd0,4) HD(4,2f8f4800,64000,c9c4378b-2b06-4835-9fcd-1456d12319d3)
default=0
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Fedora (3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /vmlinuz-3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64 rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0  KEYTABLE=us SYSFONT=True rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ro root=UUID=3b197913-f9c1-4fd6-b054-6926ede5ca09 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initramfs-3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64.img
this is the error i receive at boot:

Code:
file path: /file(\System\Library\CoreServices)/File(boot.efi)/EndEntire
cannot load image
Error 27: Unrecognized Command
Press any key to continue
The file path seems to be a windows file path (backward slash rather than a forward slash). Any ideas?

Last edited by jonathonp; 17th October 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 17th October 2012, 05:13 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

insmod is a GRUB2 thing, remove it
set root is a GRUB2 thing, remove it
+1 causes it to read the partition boot sector which isn't applicable, remove it

And you almost certainly need to put this below the header lines that come before the 'title Fedora' line. I'd put this after the title Fedora section:

title MacBookPro
root (hd0,2)
chainloader /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

I don't know that this will even work because *this* line appears to be unique to partition 4:

You might need an equivalent to get it to boot off partition 2, but I have no idea what the second and third portions of the 2nd parenthetical are. You're way better off not using GRUB Legacy EFI to boot Mac OS X, just use the option key at boot menu.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:34 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

I agree that something akin to chrismurphy's suggestion should work. Be aware, though, that GRUB Legacy numbers partitions starting from 0, whereas almost everything else numbers them starting from 1. Thus, (hd0,2) in GRUB Legacy refers to what Linux would call /dev/sda3. You'll need to adjust this for your own system, of course.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:28 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I agree that something akin to chrismurphy's suggestion should work. Be aware, though, that GRUB Legacy numbers partitions starting from 0, whereas almost everything else numbers them starting from 1. Thus, (hd0,2) in GRUB Legacy refers to what Linux would call /dev/sda3. You'll need to adjust this for your own system, of course.
Thankyou Chris and Rod. It worked beautifully. I can now boot (chainload) the Mac partition with grub legacy. I needed to get the partition number right. (Hd0,0) is actually the mac system partition and thus (Hd0,1) is the mac partition.

Working example
Code:
su -
gedit /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.conf
Code:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file.
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and
#          initrd paths are relative to /boot, eg.
#          root (hd0,3)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda5
#          initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img

boot=/dev/sda4
default=0
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Fedora (3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /vmlinuz-3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64 rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0  KEYTABLE=us SYSFONT=True rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ro root=UUID=3b197913-f9c1-4fd6-b054-6926ede5ca09 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initramfs-3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64.img

title MacBookPro
root (hd0,1)
chainloader /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
Another helpful tip:

If you would like to have right mouse click emulation with the trackpad / touchpad (using Fedora XFCE on a Mac) then do the following:

Code:
yum install xvkbd xbindkeys
Code:
su -
gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-enable-taps.conf
add the following:

Code:
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "tap-by-default"
       MatchIsTouchpad "on"
       Option "TapButton1" "1"
       Option "TapButton2" "0"
EndSection
The section marked in red is required for right click emulation. The first option enables mouse clicks with trackpad or touchpad with XFCE Desktop.

3. In XFCE, go to 'Settings', 'Session and Startup' then to 'Application Auto Start'
click the 'add' tab and enter the following:

Name: xbindkeys
Command: /usr/bin/xbindkeys

Code:
 gedit /home/jonathon/.xbindkeysrc
add the following:

Code:
"xvkbd -text '\m3'"
mod4 + b:1 (mouse)
5. Restart Fedora.

To right click on a folder for example, click on the folder to highlight, press the command key, then lightly double tap the trackpad or touchpad and the much needed menu will appear.

credit belongs to http://www.void.gr/kargig/blog/2009/...running-linux/ for right mouse click emulation.
Have a good day.)

Last edited by jonathonp; 18th October 2012 at 12:40 AM.

Tags
, f16, leopard, lion, macbook, migration, pro, snow