Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2012, 05:27 PM
drew1337 Offline

linuxfirefox
Alsa or pulseaudio... remap speakers for 5.1 sound

Hi... so this is my 3rd day with fedora 16, having never used linux before... i've got all everything working pretty well so far...

I've installed the latest proprietry nvidia drivers - I'm running a GT520 gpu that has HDMI out... so i've got dual screens going, standard lcd pc monitor and the hdmi is running into a vsx521 a/v receiver... i've got the audio going over the hmdi to the receiver which has been a bit tricky...

Anyway, the problem here is that all the channels are messed up... ie. front left is ok, but center is back right, front right is back left etc... now i've had a look at a few posts & saw that it's possible to remap the channels is pulseaudio or alsa...

should i use alsa or pulseaudio to do this?? i've tried both (separately!) but changes i make in the config files don't have any effect.

everything i've read says to add this to the alsa config... i'm guessing pcm.ch51dup is just a name & i could call it pcm.foobar if i wanted... should the "slave.pcm surround51" line point to my hardware - ie "slave.pcm hw:1,7"??

pcm.ch51dup {
slave.pcm surround51
slave.channels 6
type route
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
ttable.0.2 1
ttable.1.3 1
ttable.0.4 0.5
ttable.1.4 0.5
ttable.0.5 0.5
ttable.1.5 0.5
}

I tried this too - confignewton.com/?p=211... but the changes I made when i ran speaker-test hw:1,7 -c6 never had any effect on the speaker mappings...

If anyone has any experience with this, would be great to hear how you sorted it out...

Thanks!!!

Tags
alsa, pulseaudio, remap, sound, speakers