Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th August 2012, 03:36 PM
Harold Smith Offline

linuxfirefox
Cannot read CDs

I updated my F11 system to F17 (w/ xfce) a few days ago, and have been trying to get it tweaked since. This morning I discovered that I can no longer read the CD/DVD drive. No matter what disk I put in the drive, File manager sees a directory it calls 080125_1841, and sees it as empty. I am not having this issue on either of the other F17 machines here. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Further information: I put a music CD in the drive, and it was recognized, and the files were displayed. However, it would not play the files, giving a message that said 'Failed to mount "audio disk" DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Mountpoint Already registered'

And I remember that, shortly after I installed F17 I was able to use the drive to install Office 97 (under wine, obviously) from the drive, so it was working then.

Yesterday I installed xpdf, a pdf reader, because some pdf files were displaying as blank under the reader that came with the update. Is it possib;e that that messed up the drive?

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by Harold Smith; 10th August 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: more information
Old 10th August 2012, 04:20 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: Cannot read CDs

I'm using F16 and Xfce, but cd/dvd behavior should be the same in F17/Xfce.

Whenever I put a cd/dvd into my optical drive, a new Desktop icon for it pops up. It is NOT automatically mounted. If I open Thunar and and look in system/media/, there is nothing there. If I then right click on the new Desktop icon for the cd/dvd and select "mount volume", it mounts. And Thunar sees it and displays it (if it's a data CD) right away.

If it's a music or video cd/dvd, it's not generally necessary to right-click and select "mount volume", as your media player application (at least the ones I use), can access it, usually through some option like "Play Disk" or such. In F16, there are no longer symlinks /dev/cdrw, /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw that point to /dev/sr0. The symlinks are now like: /dev/cdrw1, /dev/cdrom1, /dev/dvd1, /dev/dvdrw1 and that can trip up players like vlc that default to /dev/dvd when a dvd disk is detected. In that case, you have to tell vlc to use /dev/dvd1, or just /dev/sr0. I don't know if that's been fixed in F17.

Are you seeing a new desktop icon pop-up shortly after you insert a data or music or video cd/dvd?
Old 10th August 2012, 06:56 PM
Harold Smith Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried a data disk and the music disk again. There is a desktop icon in both cases. With the data disk, the option to mount is greyed out and does nothing, same as before. With the music disk I clicked on 'mount' and got an error message, but after that was able to play music from it.

In both cases the disk would not eject until I pushed the button on the front of the drive itself.
Old 10th August 2012, 07:09 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Sounds like some sort of a "permissions" issue with F17 if the right-click "Mount Volume" option is grayed out. I can't help you with that. To eject a disk, you should also be able to do so from the command line using "eject sr0".

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

In F16, /dev/sr0 is owned by root with group "cdrom". You could add yourself (regular user) to the cdrom group and see if that makes any difference.

Tags
cds, read