Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th December 2009, 03:54 AM
socce05 Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Dhcp help

Hello,

I need to make my a DHCP server on Fedora 11 and when I configure the dhcpd.conf and try to start the server it says this error. "Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file". Please help me out.

All I have to do is make my computer into a DHCP server so that when other people connect to my router, it will assign them an ip address.

This is my dhcpd.conf file.;

# dhcpd.conf
#
# Sample /etc/dhcpd.conf
# (add your comments here)
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.254;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2;
option domain-name "mydomain.org";

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.100;
range 192.168.1.150 192.168.1.200;

}
Old 8th December 2009, 06:33 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Try running, from the command line

dhcpd -t

Which will look for errors in the configuration file.
Is your router at 192.168.1.254?

Interesting that they're now adding ldap somewhere in one of the startup scripts,

(I haven't run it on Fedora in awhile, so not sure when that started.) Is there any mention of ldap in man(5) dhcpd.conf? Hrrm, just checked and the answer is no. Typical.

Does the dhcpd server run, but just give that error but run anyway? If so, you can just ignore and perhaps, if you feel industrious, file a bug, though it's probably not Fedora's fault, more likely the folks who write the dhcpd.conf man pages, or those who didn't bother to tell him to update it.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 8th December 2009, 07:07 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
Just did a quick setup in Ubuntu to see if this was a Fedora only issue. It seems that it is. There is a separate package in some distributions for dhcp with ldap.

So, this seems to be a bug of some sort. A typical dhcpd setup without ldap shouldn't be looking for an ldap server. I have no idea, maybe there's something in the release notes.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 8th December 2009, 07:26 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
And, to continue--this is possibly because Fedora is using dhcp4 rather than 3. So, I don't know if it's a Fedora issue or a change made in dhcp4. (Ubuntu is using dhcp3.)

Again, it's quite possible that the server is running, and that's just an annoying error--I don't see any mention of it in the startup script, so it might be a part of the new DHCP. <shrug>

Old 7th March 2010, 11:57 AM
huynhgiang Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Dhcp help

sao ḿnh vô diễn đàn ḿnh không thể đọc được, thể hiện một trang trắng nhách có thảo luận mà không thấy chữ
hiện tại ḿnh đang gặp mọt vấn đề như thế này, ḿnh cài fedora 12 thành công, nhưng khi ḿnh cấu h́nh cho DHCP để cấp ip động cho mạng LAN th́ sau ḍng lệnh (service dhcpd start) là nó cứ báo lỗi failed hoài, ḿnh thử rất nhiều cách chỉ dẫn trên các diễn đàn trong lẫn ngoài đều không thành công,
có pác nào đă làm thành công DHCP trên fedora 12 xin chỉ giáo cho ḿnh với
thanks các pác nhiều

Tags
dhcp