Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:01 PM
KroniKlepto Offline

linuxchrome
AMD driver installation problem

So, I tried installing the ATI driver on Fedora 18 and I'm stuck at step 3: Make sure radeon is removed from initramfs.

Code:
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-radeon.img
returns this error:

mv: cannot stat ‘/boot/initramfs-3.8.8-202.fc18.x86_64.img’: No such file or directory

These files are in /boot:

initramfs-3.8.1-201.fc18.x86_64.img
initramfs-3.8.2-206.fc18.x86_64.img
initramfs-3.8.8-202.fc18.x86_64-radeon.img

The reason I'm trying to install the driver is a performance downgrade after a video card upgrade. Previous card was 6850... just upgraded to 7770. With the new card, video is choppy and the card is heating up much more than it should be.

initramfs-3.8.8-202.fc18.x86_64.img does not exist.... but, I have no idea why, or how to resolve this. Help?
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:11 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: AMD driver installation problem

You'd probably be better off updating your kernel and mesa to F19 versions, which should work a lot better with your "southern islands" GPU.

However, if you insist on running the blob driver, please note that the command is failing because the FIRST time you ran it, it worked. Subsequent runs of it will not work. "mv" means "move" or "rename". The first time you ran that command, it RENAMED the file to the "-radeon" one, so its done.
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:55 PM
KroniKlepto Offline

linuxchrome
Re: AMD driver installation problem

Wow, how did I not see that? Thank you.

So I completed the process, rebooted, and it hung at the Fedora logo, which looks to be fairly common. Uninstalled AMD.

Trying to take your advice on the kernel and mesa... got the kernel updated, but am having trouble with updating mesa to 9.1-6.fc19. Pulled the rpm from here, but now I'm getting a NOKEY error. Tried to force, it looked like it installed, but didn't verify.

Code:
rpm -i mesa-9.1-6.fc19.src.rpm
warning: mesa-9.1-6.fc19.src.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID fb4b18e6: NOKEY

rpm -Uhv mesa-9.1-6.fc19.src.rpm
warning: mesa-9.1-6.fc19.src.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID fb4b18e6: NOKEY
Updating / installing...
   1:mesa-9.1-6.fc19                  ################################# [100%]

rpm -V mesa-9.1-6.fc19.src.rpm
package mesa-9.1-6.fc19.src.rpm is not installed
glxinfo isn't very helpful, but it's showing everything is slow or none.

Code:
glxinfo
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
Code:
 glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
It looks like I've found part of the problem... but, I have no idea where to go from here.

Tags
amd, driver, installation, problem