Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2017, 05:07 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Will a CPU upgrade and RAM upgrade affect my OS ?

Just a note...

IF all hardware you are getting is supported by linux (probably is) you should have things pretty easy. If you load any special kernel modules (nvidia drivers, etc...) then remove them before doing the upgrade unless you have hardware that will use them after the upgrade.

Also, make sure your rescue kernel entry is up to date, and bootable. IT wouldn't be a bad idea to just create a fresh rescue kernel just to be on the safe side. It is really just a regular kernel with the full initramfs instead of the stripped down initramfs tailored for the current hardware it detects.

By having the kernel entry available with the full initramfs, you should be able to boot any hardware that linux supports. Just remember, if you have to fall back onto the rescue kernel to boot after your hardware upgrade, then you need to rebuild the initramfs for your regular kernels.
Old 18th February 2017, 06:06 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratacast1 View Post
I'm definitely interested in the upcoming Ryzen release. But yeah as you said Isatenstein, they've done demos and hands on setups and presentations at CES showing the comparison of comparable Intel CPUs to AMD, and there was another benchmark that showed the AMD 1600x (6C12T) at 3.56GHz beating the Intel 6800K (6C12T) at 4GHz. It had a lower single core score by about 60, but it got 1000 points more on the multi-threaded benchmark (synthetic).

https://tech4gamers.com/amd-ryzen-5-...core-i7-6800k/

They both use the same threading technology and as far as we know the same size L3 cache, bump up the AMD to 4GHz like the Intel and it will remain better at multicore and exceed it at single core for $150 less and a TDP of 95W, not 140W. Even if it did turn out the AMD performed just a bit worse, I would be happy to keep the extra cash than pay into the Intel monopoly. I'm ready to swap out my blue for red and get the performance I need at a lower price. My workload has exceeded my i5 limits
My system is a q9650 from 2009. I can watch my disk lights as the disks spin in 7200 rpm slow motion

And it would be, as you can read above, my upgrade after almost 8 years. I am hoping the new system I buy will cost me less than $100/yr over it's lifetime.

Leslie
in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 20th February 2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 20th February 2017, 05:07 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Also, make sure your rescue kernel entry is up to date, and bootable.

How do you do that? Along with enabling networking for dnf updates/removes/installs/etc

lsatenstein, that's how I feel about my next build I outgrew my i5 4690K and GTX 970, so I'm hoping if the performance and price of AMD is correct, I can shell out $1500ish for my next tower and MAYBE swap out my GPU in 3-5 years and keep the rest for 5-8 years. I can't imagine myself outgrowing an 8C16T processor anytime soon My machine is still a competitive box, seeing a modern-day equivalent would run about $1100, I bet I could get $700-$800 out of my current computer
Old 20th February 2017, 05:47 AM
osce0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, and RAM last year from a 8-year-old PC. All other components stayed the same (nVidia video, all others were USB devices, and dual DVI monitors.)

I didn't have to do anything to the HDDs or linux kernel.

I did have to install the built-in ethernet driver from the manufacturer site since the stock linux kernel didn't recognize it.

Other than that, everything else worked without any changes.

I bet most problems are with Ethernet or Wi-Fi drivers, and any non-standard external devices. There may be some rare cases with very new internal device chipsets that the current kernel doesn't recognize. Changing some BIOS settings for compatibility mode and/or Fedora upgrade usually fixes them though.
Old 21st February 2017, 02:12 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Easiest way to make sure your rescue kernel entry is up to date is to delete the initramfs-0-rescue* and vmlinuz-0-rescue* files in /boot when you update the kernel. If those files don't exist when the kernel is updated, it will build new ones. I just delete the rescue entries every 2nd or 3rd time I update the kernel and keep mine pretty much up to date.

It's not too hard to do. When you run an update, and notice the kernel has an update, before you tell dnf/yum to continue with the update, just jump over to /boot and delete the 2 rescue kernel/initramfs files.

Edit:

Not certain if it's still this way or not, since I have been keeping my rescue kernel updated, but when Fedora first went to creating the "tailored" initramfs and creating the full initramfs for the rescue kernel entry, it used to cause problems once kernels started being removed due to the keeponly=3 limit in the conf file. The rescue kernel is just the standard kernel, the only difference is the initramfs built. It used the same kernel files, same modules, etc... as the regular kernel entry. When that kernel got removed, the rescue kernel entry would no longer boot due to missing files.

When I realized what was going on, I started keeping my rescue kernel updated manually. Don't know if they have changed how it's built now or not.
Old 21st February 2017, 03:56 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Ryzen prices are out (Google for them), They have a cpu model to correspond to an Intel model at up to 30% off.

And the mother boards are starting at $100,US . You will probably need an external graphics card (nvidia) or GEForce.

Leslie
in Montreal

Old Yesterday, 01:47 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

The prices are out for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs Some vendors from England and China are posting prices that are about 30% lower than Intel's equivalent CPU.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-zen...prices-rumours

For myself, I am going for a b350 mother board around $70 US, and for the cpu, the R7 1600x around $260 or the R7 1700 ($320)
and I will purchase 16gigs ddr4 ram

The Motherboard is said to be an ATX size, which means, I can recycle my case, power supply, disks keyboard and monitor.

This new system will draw less power than my existing 8gig dual core cpu.

Leslie
in Montreal

Last edited by lsatenstein; Yesterday at 09:25 AM.

Tags
affect, cpu, ram, upgrade