Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th December 2016, 07:10 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
[1] It is OK. The command is for GNOME desktop ($ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE), so now we know that it is implemented ONLY to get quickly what is the Xserver on GNOME (x11 or wayland). You are running on X.Org X Server 1.19.0, we know this from the logs.
ok

Quote:
[2] All Good. Could not hurt (I had very little fate that this might help). Anyway, the latest should be the greatest.
ok

Quote:
[3] Please, disable/make workaround IPV6, let kernel boot to the desktop. We are trying to solve Nvidia problem.
Somehow solved

Quote:
[4] Do not reinstall kmod-nvidia. Just try to do some setup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ based on the link I gave you, and see if this improves logs
Won't.

Current problem is that the boot seems to hold at different moments: IPv6, terminate plymouth, starting hold until boot process finishes up, ..... They differ per reboot. Any idea?
Old 11th December 2016, 07:20 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Question Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvniekerk View Post
Won't.

Current problem is that the boot seems to hold at different moments: IPv6, terminate plymouth, starting hold until boot process finishes up, ..... They differ per reboot. Any idea?
Racing effect. Have no idea why? Please, reboot, and since you have on GRUB2 boot menu three last kernels, try to reboot with the previous one, 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 (the one you were using till today's upgrade), and see if your system regains stability?!

_nobody_
Old 11th December 2016, 07:34 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Racing effect. Have no idea why? Please, reboot, and since you have on GRUB2 boot menu three last kernels, try to reboot with the previous one, 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 (the one you were using till today's upgrade), and see if your system regains stability?!
Nope. Same thing. Booting 4.8.10 even resulted in a kernel yelp and had to press power for 5 seconds. Seems to get nowhere now, even when booting latest kernel.
Old 11th December 2016, 08:34 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Seems that you need to de-install everything you have with Nvidia, and try to follow some Nvidia web pages, trying again from the clean start???

Nightmare it is, isn't it???

I have on my system/notebook HP EliteBook 840 G1 (i5-4300U 22nm HSW) INTEL Integrated GFX, as well as Radeon/AMD, but I am using WIN10, and VMWorkstation 12.5.2 with Fedora 25 VM (it used to be from genesis Fedora 23 VM, but I gradually updated). Other than that, if I had bare metal Fedora 25, I would immediately embark to attempt to activate Radeon and experience all this sh@t/garbage myself... Since I am good with Linux.

_nobody_
Old 11th December 2016, 08:47 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Seems that you need to de-install everything you have with Nvidia, and try to follow some Nvidia web pages, trying again from the clean start???

Nightmare it is, isn't it???

I have on my system/notebook HP EliteBook 840 G1 (i5-4300U 22nm HSW) INTEL Integrated GFX, as well as Radeon/AMD, but I am using WIN10, and VMWorkstation 12.5.2 with Fedora 25 VM (it used to be from genesis Fedora 23 VM, but I gradually updated). Other than that, if I had bare metal Fedora 25, I would immediately embark to attempt to activate Radeon and experience all this sh@t/garbage myself... Since I am good with Linux.

_nobody_
Believe it or not, I've been dealing with Linux since 1997, of which a few years for a job. This is the first time I've had to deal with this kind of driver **** (I don't use Windows anymore). Right now, I feel like doing a full new install, using the nvidia driver, see about the PRIME and whatever may happen.
I'll get back to you (via this thread) about the new experiences. Thank you so far for your time and help. 2 know more than 1.
Old 13th December 2016, 05:36 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Arrow Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

Quote:
I'll get back to you (via this thread) about the new experiences. Thank you so far for your time and help. 2 know more than 1.
Thank you.

But before that, here is how I tried to solve another problem back there, in September, 2016, for another user. Maybe it can help (to anyone, actually).

[SOLVED] Nvidia 340.96 kernel 4.7.3
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1771281

And my solution (which did not help, but anyway):
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...6&postcount=10

Waiting to hearing from you regarding new (hopefully positive) experiences.

_nobody_
Old 14th December 2016, 06:49 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Thank you.

But before that, here is how I tried to solve another problem back there, in September, 2016, for another user. Maybe it can help (to anyone, actually).

[SOLVED] Nvidia 340.96 kernel 4.7.3
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1771281

And my solution (which did not help, but anyway):
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...6&postcount=10

Waiting to hearing from you regarding new (hopefully positive) experiences.

_nobody_
After reinstalling, I find I actually have a different graphical issue: my primary graphics is Intel HD Graphics 530. with the 3D graphics being NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M2000M]. So to get my full HD graphics working, I first need a driver from Intel that lacks any support for Linux as far as I can see it now.

Update: there's an Intel driver update tool for Linux... but up till F24 which shows to not support F25.. So going for that now and see what happens.

Update 2: F24 install boots but graphics crashes. Guess I'm stuck for F25 at 800x600 without Intel drivers unless they release that tool.

Last edited by hvniekerk; 14th December 2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Update 2
Old 14th December 2016, 08:30 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Here are INTEL drivers for F24: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Regarding the GFX tools: you have source code Intel® Graphics Update Tool v2.0.3 Source Code (GnuPG* Signature). You can make it compiled and linked against your Fedora 25 kernel, so you make it Fedora 25 compliant (worth trying).

Let me know if you will have issues while compiling and linking. I might try it myself (just for user experience).

_nobody_
Old 14th December 2016, 10:08 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Here are INTEL drivers for F24: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Regarding the GFX tools: you have source code Intel® Graphics Update Tool v2.0.3 Source Code (GnuPG* Signature). You can make it compiled and linked against your Fedora 25 kernel, so you make it Fedora 25 compliant (worth trying).

Let me know if you will have issues while compiling and linking. I might try it myself (just for user experience).

_nobody_
Since I can't get F24 installed, and the driver doesn't work on F25, it's no use.

I downloaded the source code, but so far I can't make much of it. There's no configure script, and the install-sh script ask for some input file. README hints on the data directory, but I find no clear info there either. Trying didn't do much except giving more messages that it didn't work. So feel free to try and let me know .
Old 14th December 2016, 11:43 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Before I'll do that, could you do for me the following command: $ dnf provides */i915 ?

_nobody_
Old 14th December 2016, 11:56 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Before I'll do that, could you do for me the following command: $ dnf provides */i915 ?

_nobody_
See attachment for the output.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dnf-provides-i915.txt (1.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 14th December 2016, 05:22 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Talking Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

Diverted from compiling the INTEL GFX updater tool. Now I see... It is a dead end.

[1] I am wondering, if you disconnect (plug out) Nvidia, would your laptop restore 1080p?
This is worth trying, just to see if this works as expected!

[2] The following should be done also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
The following file should be created in: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-gpu.conf

Code:
## /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-gpu.conf
## Integrated INTEL GFX [Intel® HD Graphics 530] as Primary GPU

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "intel"
##    Inactive "nvidia" [commented out]
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "intel"
    Driver      "intel"
    BusID       "PCI:x:x:x"  # Sample: "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection
I am running out of options!

_nobody_
Old 14th December 2016, 06:20 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Diverted from compiling the INTEL GFX updater tool. Now I see... It is a dead end.

[1] I am wondering, if you disconnect (plug out) Nvidia, would your laptop restore 1080p?
This is worth trying, just to see if this works as expected!
In the BIOS/UEFI there's no option to disconnect/plug out nvidia. I already looked for that.

Quote:
[2] The following should be done also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
The following file should be created in: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-gpu.conf

Code:
## /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-gpu.conf
## Integrated INTEL GFX [Intel® HD Graphics 530] as Primary GPU

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "intel"
##    Inactive "nvidia" [commented out]
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "intel"
    Driver      "intel"
    BusID       "PCI:x:x:x"  # Sample: "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection
I am running out of options!

_nobody_
Using the correct BusID (0:2:0), graphics fails. So, 0:2:0 Intel HD Graphics 530 and 1:0:0 3D NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M2000M] fail for now. I'm waiting for the correct Intel driver to be available, since I'm not going to build it myself.
What does worry me though, is that ANY xorg.conf so far manages to completely throw out graphics. In all the years that I've used xorg (even on e.g. BSD), I've never had this experience. Like you, for now, I'm out of options, keeping the NVIDIA driver. Since the HD 530 is the primary, this should be fixed first.
Old 15th December 2016, 07:24 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Using the correct BusID (0:2:0), graphics fails. So, 0:2:0 Intel HD Graphics 530 and 1:0:0 3D NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M2000M] fail for now. I'm waiting for the correct Intel driver to be available, since I'm not going to build it myself.
So far, in RED should (I say MUST) work. BTW, while bringing (this morning) my Fedora 25 VM, I also had 800x600, but I went to display manager and adjusted to 1360x768. Happens sometimes.

Here I conclude. Nothing more to investigate, until I receive new data.

_nobody_
Old 15th December 2016, 07:38 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
So far, in RED should (I say MUST) work. BTW, while bringing (this morning) my Fedora 25 VM, I also had 800x600, but I went to display manager and adjusted to 1360x768. Happens sometimes.
What do you use for display manager? Using LXDE, I go to Monitor Settings, which only gives me 800x600 and auto (giving me the same).

Quote:
Here I conclude. Nothing more to investigate, until I receive new data.

_nobody_
So far, yes. BTW, the odd thing is that xrandr shows this:

sudo xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
800x600 75.00*

So something really isn't right..

Last edited by hvniekerk; 15th December 2016 at 12:42 PM.

Tags
driver, f25, kmod, m2000m, nvidia