Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2016, 06:53 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

Hi,

For a new laptop using the nVidia M2000M, I need the kmod driver as advised on https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#C...Quadro.2FTesla. However, I can't find it. dnf doesn't list it, and elrepo shows various but won't install because it of "error(s) in search for dependencies". Can someone please gives some hints on how to deal with this? It's been a while since I used Fedora with kmod.

Update: I managed to install the driver using Yum Extender, BUT: no change on the screen resolution! I'm still on 800x600 using a full HD 17" display. So what am I missing or doing wrong?

Update 2: after running nvidia-xconfig, the xserver doesn't want to start, leaving me with a black screen. Looking in /etc/X11, I find nvidia-xorg.conf (only has device section with identifier = videocard 0), xorg.conf (full contents, and device section also has vendorname nvidia) and xorg.conf.nvidia-xconfig-original (empty). So what's going wrong?!

Update 3: found out that I have to discard the rpmfusion nVidia drivers and go for Bumblebee. However, still not working properly.

Thanks

hvn

Last edited by hvniekerk; 4th December 2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Update
Old 6th December 2016, 08:48 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

OK, I've found out that it's not any driver that bothers me. It's Wayland which I want to disable, but can't found out how. All info refers to /etc/gdm, however, I'm running LXDE, not Gnome. So can anyone tell me how to do it in LXDE so I use Xorg?
Old 6th December 2016, 10:35 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvniekerk View Post
OK, I've found out that it's not any driver that bothers me. It's Wayland which I want to disable, but can't found out how. All info refers to /etc/gdm, however, I'm running LXDE, not Gnome. So can anyone tell me how to do it in LXDE so I use Xorg?
LXDE doesn't support or use Wayland yet so you're already using Xorg. I can't advise further on Nvidia specific issues though as it's years since I had to load in proprietary Nadia drivers for linux. What you're describing definitely sounds like a configuration issue though so someone should be able to point you in the right direction with the resolution
Old 7th December 2016, 10:30 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
LXDE doesn't support or use Wayland yet so you're already using Xorg. I can't advise further on Nvidia specific issues though as it's years since I had to load in proprietary Nadia drivers for linux. What you're describing definitely sounds like a configuration issue though so someone should be able to point you in the right direction with the resolution
Thank you for your answer. The problem is that whenever there is a xorg.conf in /etc/X11, X won't start. As soon as I remove or rename it, X starts into 800x600. Even after Xorg -configure and copying/renaming it to /etc/X11, X stops working. Right now, I'm clueless.
Old 10th December 2016, 06:15 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Question Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/sh...58&postcount=6

Enjoy, hvniekerk... In order for me to help you, I will need you to very carefully read my analysis (I spent on it 2.5 hours, to learn MORE myself), and explain to me the differences between your logs: what did you in the meantime to make TRUE Nvidia driver to be downloaded?

_nobody_
Old 10th December 2016, 06:38 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Hi nobody,

I've been reading these logs (and older ones) myself as well and I've been thinking that same question: what did I do?

Between the previous failures leading to this post and the uploaded 2 logs in the other thread: uninstalling the bumblebee-project, reinstalling the nVidia driver for M2000M and last: installing the akmod and kmod from rpmfusion.

Just using the nVidia driver has led me to nowhere, and so did bumblebee and rpmfusion. The effects were that without any of these, my resolution is 800x600. With any of these and xorg.conf present: no graphics.

So, again, the very last thing that caused the change you ask for: installing the akmod+kmod next to the nVidia driver.

I hope you can help me.
Old 10th December 2016, 09:41 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Hi nobody,

I've been reading these logs (and older ones) myself as well and I've been thinking that same question: what did I do?

Between the previous failures leading to this post and the uploaded 2 logs in the other thread: uninstalling the bumblebee-project, reinstalling the nVidia driver for M2000M and last: installing the akmod and kmod from rpmfusion.

Just using the nVidia driver has led me to nowhere, and so did bumblebee and rpmfusion. The effects were that without any of these, my resolution is 800x600. With any of these and xorg.conf present: no graphics.

So, again, the very last thing that caused the change you ask for: installing the akmod+kmod next to the nVidia driver.

I hope you can help me.
I'll reply to this one, since we are spread on two different threads, and I do not like this, since I feel I am spread over two pitfalls!

And I'll continue (if any success at all, hope for the best, from here).
_______

Hump... La la... Tralala! I am reading the log, and getting all sorts of crazy ideas. So let me go with ones which have NOTHING to (on the first, second... 99th glance) with GFX.

[1] Do you use UEFI BIOS settings, or legacy ones (my best bet is UEFI settings)? I need answer on this one (to check, you go to BIOS, and see what is your setting on: BIOS mode: Legacy ONLY, Hybrid, or UEFI only).

[2] I see (dead people) the following in the dmesg log:
Quote:
[ 0.068161] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (family: 0x6, model: 0x5e, stepping: 0x3)
[ 0.068166] Performance Events: PEBS fmt3+, Skylake events, 32-deep LBR, full-width counters, Intel PMU driver.
In other words, I see SkyLake Core 6 i7 CPUID: 0x605E3 . I see this:
https://ark.intel.com/products/88967...up-to-3_50-GHz

And I see the following (Q3 2015 launch date - more precisely September 2nd, 2015, don't ask how I know)... So this does mean that you bought your laptop in Q1, 2016, correct?

[3] What is the actual date on the (AMI supposedly) BIOS you are using (please, go to CMOS BIOS and find this for me on System Information page)?

[4] I need answers on previous questions, than, the next one is: did you ever reprogram BIOS, to newer one? If you bought it in Q1, 2016, you should, since there are... Some problems with SKL-U MCUs. And, if you go to manufacturer site, you do it. Easy.

[5] Your current state of the dmesg log does NOT match with what I advertised back then (Xorg.1.log). Your system is back to Xorg.0.log. How I know this:
Quote:
[ 0.952163] efifb: framebuffer at 0xb0000000, using 1876k, total 1875k
[ 0.952165] efifb: mode is 800x600x32, linelength=3200, pages=1
[ 0.952167] efifb: scrolling: redraw
[ 0.952169] efifb: Truecolor: size=8:8:8:8, shift=24:16:8:0
[ 0.952991] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x37
[ 0.953714] fb0: EFI VGA frame buffer device
[ 0.953729] intel_idle: MWAIT substates: 0x11142120
[ 0.953729] intel_idle: v0.4.1 model 0x5E
[ 0.953732] intel_idle: state C8-SKL is disabled
[ 0.953732] intel_idle: state C9-SKL is disabled
[ 0.953986] intel_idle: lapic_timer_reliable_states 0xffffffff
Please, please... Do NOT touch anything in BIOS (just, please, scavenge for me info I want to know).

[6] I need the whole system to go to Xorg.1.log state. Please (could you do it for me)!
_______

WTH/WTF???

Quote:
[ 1.093757] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input4
[ 1.094860] microcode: sig=0x506e3, pf=0x20, revision=0x9e
[ 1.095620] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.01 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba
[ 1.095919] AVX2 version of gcm_enc/dec engaged.
[ 1.096203] AES CTR mode by8 optimization enabled
[ 1.105638] EFI: Loaded cert 'Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011: 13adbf4309bd82709c8cd54f316ed522988a1bd4' linked to '.builtin_trusted_keys'
[ 1.106307] EFI: Loaded cert 'Microsoft Windows Production PCA 2011: a92902398e16c49778cd90f99e4f9ae17c55af53' linked to '.builtin_trusted_keys'
[ 1.108874] alg: No test for pkcs1pad(rsa,sha256) (pkcs1pad(rsa-generic,sha256))
[ 1.109563] EFI: Loaded cert 'Fedora Secure Boot CA: fde32599c2d61db1bf5807335d7b20e4cd963b42' linked to '.builtin_trusted_keys'
Man!!! INTEL claims in CPUID that SLK-U is actually BDW-U! Now, HEAVY punishment goes their way (why I have so much fun killing them all over the place), since this clumsiness they do for years does NOT look anymore funny???

Let me slam/kill them in Fedora 24 kernel Bugzilla. And confuse them. "Diese Leute sind ganze verruckt!" German (these people - INTEL are totally crazy)!!!
_______

Thank you,
_nobody_
Old 10th December 2016, 10:45 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I'll reply to this one, since we are spread on two different threads, and I do not like this, since I feel I am spread over two pitfalls!
Good

Quote:
And I'll continue (if any success at all, hope for the best, from here).
Great
_______

Quote:
Hump... La la... Tralala! I am reading the log, and getting all sorts of crazy ideas. So let me go with ones which have NOTHING to (on the first, second... 99th glance) with GFX.

[1] Do you use UEFI BIOS settings, or legacy ones (my best bet is UEFI settings)? I need answer on this one (to check, you go to BIOS, and see what is your setting on: BIOS mode: Legacy ONLY, Hybrid, or UEFI only).
I'm using UEFI only. Alternatives: UEFI with CSM, Legacy

Quote:
[2] I see (dead people) the following in the dmesg log:

In other words, I see SkyLake Core 6 i7 CPUID: 0x605E3 . I see this:
https://ark.intel.com/products/88967...up-to-3_50-GHz

And I see the following (Q3 2015 launch date - more precisely September 2nd, 2015, don't ask how I know)... So this does mean that you bought your laptop in Q1, 2016, correct?
No, I bought my this november, so Q4, 2016.

Quote:
[3] What is the actual date on the (AMI supposedly) BIOS you are using (please, go to CMOS BIOS and find this for me on System Information page)?
AMI, build date 06/24/2016.

Quote:
[4] I need answers on previous questions, than, the next one is: did you ever reprogram BIOS, to newer one? If you bought it in Q1, 2016, you should, since there are... Some problems with SKL-U MCUs. And, if you go to manufacturer site, you do it. Easy.
On this laptop, no. Brand new, so not supposed to be needed.

Quote:
[5] Your current state of the dmesg log does NOT match with what I advertised back then (Xorg.1.log). Your system is back to Xorg.0.log. How I know this:

Please, please... Do NOT touch anything in BIOS (just, please, scavenge for me info I want to know).
I did change the BIOS/UEFI because it was Window10 and I couldn't even boot into Linux before changing the setting.

Quote:
[6] I need the whole system to go to Xorg.1.log state. Please (could you do it for me)!
I figured you'd ask that and I want to go back too, so I'll try.

Quote:
_______

WTH/WTF???

Man!!! INTEL claims in CPUID that SLK-U is actually BDW-U! Now, HEAVY punishment goes their way (why I have so much fun killing them all over the place), since this clumsiness they do for years does NOT look anymore funny???

Let me slam/kill them in Fedora 24 kernel Bugzilla. And confuse them. "Diese Leute sind ganze verruckt!" German (these people - INTEL are totally crazy)!!!
_______

Thank you,
_nobody_
I speak German (but am not)... and I partly agree.

Thank you.
hvn
Old 10th December 2016, 11:36 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
I'm using UEFI only. Alternatives: UEFI with CSM, Legacy
All Good. Please, stay there!

Quote:
No, I bought my this november, so Q4, 2016.

AMI, build date 06/24/2016.

On this laptop, no. Brand new, so not supposed to be needed.
Please, check if you can upgrade to better BIOS: 5 months already passed, though I do NOT think that this is relevant.

Quote:
I did change the BIOS/UEFI because it was Window10 and I couldn't even boot into Linux before changing the setting.
Please, please... ONLY BIOS UEFI, and dual boot on UEFI BIOS (CSM = OFF)

Quote:
I figured you'd ask that and I want to go back too, so I'll try.
Please... I do not have this context, neither HW... But I have (heavy) ideas!

Quote:
I speak German (but am not)... and I partly agree.
You are Dutch (99% probability)... I already figured it out!
_______

P.S. YES... Here it comes!
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1403442

_nobody_
Old 10th December 2016, 12:31 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
All Good. Please, stay there!
I Will.

Quote:
Please, check if you can upgrade to better BIOS: 5 months already passed, though I do NOT think that this is relevant.
Can't check it without downloading an upgrade-tool. So I'll let it be at this point.

Quote:
Please, please... ONLY BIOS UEFI, and dual boot on UEFI BIOS (CSM = OFF)
I was talking about a boot setting in UEFI.

Quote:
Please... I do not have this context, neither HW... But I have (heavy) ideas!
Good

Quote:
You are Dutch (99% probability)... I already figured it out!
By my name? Its origin sure is Dutch.

And I'm back at the Xorg.1.log state, which is very uncomfortable working: Xorg trying to start but failing and falling back to F1 screen. Have to work in F2 or higher, so have to switch back every few seconds from F1 to F2.
Old 10th December 2016, 03:59 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

OK, my dutch friend,

For now, we split the problems... One went farther, so I'll take over this in Bugzilla: [SHOW-STOPPER] Complete confusion by INTEL Corporation\INTEL claims BDW-U = SKL-U???

I will make this one Public (I'll also notify Tom's HW and Anandtech), so I'll make some public show, until we find the ultimate Truth about INTEL Lies!
_______

But this does not solve your problem with Nvidia. For sure. Has nothing to do with it.

I see, you have UEFI BIOS, fairly recent (I see there MCU revision 0x9E, which should be good enough to solve some mortal SKL problems in the past - with the MCUs < 0x7E).

Now, since you are back to the state I requested, I need again Xorg log, as well as dmesg. Let us see what now these two logs tell us?

And I also need to understand, what you did to return context to this state?

Thank you,
_nobody_
Old 10th December 2016, 04:12 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
OK, my dutch friend,

For now, we split the problems... One went farther, so I'll take over this in Bugzilla: [SHOW-STOPPER] Complete confusion by INTEL Corporation\INTEL claims BDW-U = SKL-U???

I will make this one Public (I'll also notify Tom's HW and Anandtech), so I'll make some public show, until we find the ultimate Truth about INTEL Lies!
_______

But this does not solve your problem with Nvidia. For sure. Has nothing to do with it.
OK.

Quote:
I see, you have UEFI BIOS, fairly recent (I see there MCU revision 0x9E, which should be good enough to solve some mortal SKL problems in the past - with the MCUs < 0x7E).

Now, since you are back to the state I requested, I need again Xorg log, as well as dmesg. Let us see what now these two logs tell us?
See attachments.

Quote:
And I also need to understand, what you did to return context to this state?
I uninstalled kmod-nvida-1:375.20-1.fc25

Quote:
Thank you,
_nobody_
Thank YOU.
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (5.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (140.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 11th December 2016, 01:20 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I am back (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAQESrBx2U),

[1] Please, while going to Fedora 25 (LXDE) assure that you have Xorg. To check it, run the following: $ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE (should return "x11")?
From the Xorg.0 log, you are running Xorg, i clearly see:
Quote:
[ 12697.908] X.Org X Server 1.19.0
Release Date: 2016-11-15
[ 12697.909] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 12697.909] Build Operating System: 4.7.9-200.fc24.x86_64
[ 12697.909] Current Operating System: Linux Klerksdorp 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 28 18:24:51 UTC 2016 x86_64
[2] Please, upgrade your system to the latest kernel: 4.8.12-300.fc25.x86_64. Then try to see if (after first two steps, situation does improve)?

-------

[3] Here is the grub2 kernel command line:
Quote:
[ 12697.909] Current Operating System: Linux Klerksdorp 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 28 18:24:51 UTC 2016 x86_64
[ 12697.909] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/fedora00-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora00/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora00/swap nomodeset rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off
Please, remove these three elements from the command line (and let see if KMS enabled do something good to this problem - anyway, it should be run inside Nvidia driver as well)?

-------

[4] Here is the other clue: AK is correct: This is part of your latest the Xorg.0 log:
Quote:
[ 12697.912] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration
Here is VERY good read, you should check with your system (and to try to experiment, in order to remove this line):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

And see, what do you really have in: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (and try to play with different options)?

_nobody_
Old 11th December 2016, 03:46 PM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
I am back (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAQESrBx2U),

[1] Please, while going to Fedora 25 (LXDE) assure that you have Xorg. To check it, run the following: $ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE (should return "x11")?
With and w/out xorg.conf in /etc/X11, it retuns empty.

Quote:
From the Xorg.0 log, you are running Xorg, i clearly see:

[2] Please, upgrade your system to the latest kernel: 4.8.12-300.fc25.x86_64. Then try to see if (after first two steps, situation does improve)?
Done

Quote:

[3] Here is the grub2 kernel command line:

Please, remove these three elements from the command line (and let see if KMS enabled do something good to this problem - anyway, it should be run inside Nvidia driver as well)?
It boots in very small print (full HD?) but seems to hang on IPv6 link not ready. My WAN connection is mainly IPv6.

Quote:

[4] Here is the other clue: AK is correct: This is part of your latest the Xorg.0 log:
So I should reinstall kmod-nvida?

Quote:
Here is VERY good read, you should check with your system (and to try to experiment, in order to remove this line):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

And see, what do you really have in: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (and try to play with different options)?
Ok, I will. Thank you.
Old 11th December 2016, 05:45 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Arrow Re: F25: nVidia M2000M kmod driver

[1] It is OK. The command is for GNOME desktop ($ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE), so now we know that it is implemented ONLY to get quickly what is the Xserver on GNOME (x11 or wayland). You are running on X.Org X Server 1.19.0, we know this from the logs.

[2] All Good. Could not hurt (I had very little fate that this might help). Anyway, the latest should be the greatest.

[3] Please, disable/make workaround IPV6, let kernel boot to the desktop. We are trying to solve Nvidia problem.

[4] Do not reinstall kmod-nvidia. Just try to do some setup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ based on the link I gave you, and see if this improves logs

_nobody_

Tags
driver, f25, kmod, m2000m, nvidia