Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd December 2016, 09:50 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 25 - no WiFi

Boo-yah!! I have internal WiFi on my fast home 5GHz network!! I installed the Bplus Intel internal wireless network card, replacing the original Broadcom card that came with my Lenovo Y3P, and it connected immediately with no drivers to install and nothing to configure. It's an amateur level stuff, replacing the internal card. The hardest part is removing the 10 screws from the bottom of the Yoga casing. They are STAR screws, not Phillips. Once you have the case bottom off, the networking card is right there in the corner. And it's small - maybe 1" by 3/4". I thought it was bigger, maybe 2" on a side. But it's the size of a quarter squared off. It has a screw that locks it in place along the edge opposite of the connectors. That's a tiny Phillips screw. All that screw does is lock the module in place once you've clicked it into the slot. . Just like a RAM module. Start to finish: 10 minutes. And now the wifi connects lightning fast and stays connected. No more taking up a USB port with a network adapter. No more waiting for the adapter to find the network and connect. This is a thing of beauty!!

Here's the one I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bplus-Wireles...60NGW+M.2+NGFF
Old 11th January 2017, 01:46 AM
berkiyo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hey there!

I know this is a little late but I managed to fix your issue as I too own a broadcom card very similar to yours in my Lenovo ThinkPad X131e.

All I had to do was install the rpmfusion and run the following command

"sudo dnf update"

"sudo dnf install -y "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"

"sudo dnf install -y akmods"

"sudo dnf install -y broadcom-wl"

"reboot"

Tadaa! Your wifi card should work as expected. Looks like you got an intel wifi module so if I were you, I'd use that.

Hope it helps!
Old 11th January 2017, 01:59 AM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkiyo View Post
Hey there!

I know this is a little late but I managed to fix your issue as I too own a broadcom card very similar to yours in my Lenovo ThinkPad X131e.

All I had to do was install the rpmfusion and run the following command

"sudo dnf update"

"sudo dnf install -y "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"

"sudo dnf install -y akmods"

"sudo dnf install -y broadcom-wl"

"reboot"

Tadaa! Your wifi card should work as expected. Looks like you got an intel wifi module so if I were you, I'd use that.

Hope it helps!
Awesome that this solution worked for you. I tried it (several times) and had no joy. Several other folks also reported success with your solution so I was encouraged, but apparently the Braodcom card specific to the Yoga 3 Pro does not accept the broadcom-wl drivers. Not yet anyway. Still waiting for Broadcom to write the drivers. Well, some folks are waiting. I'm not - anymmore.
Old 16th January 2017, 11:01 PM
jogreen29b Offline

macoschrome

Could anyone suggest a wifi dongle or a PCI card that would work with F25 installed on PC? I've heard that anything with an Atheros ath9k chipset is well supported, but when I enquire in BestBuy or NCIX (and such) what is there to buy with this chipset or any other chipset supported by Linux, I hear "Nothing, we don't support Linux". Right now I use ASUS ancient dongle, and it works, but provides only a fraction of the available speed.

Last edited by jogreen29b; 16th January 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 17th January 2017, 08:38 PM
omoto1 Offline

windows_7firefox

I'm unfortunately finding that all the new usb adapters from netgear in the n model wnr2000 and wndr3100 aren't working with fedora 20 and higher. The only one that works with fedora 20 and higher are the wg111v3, which is a 10 year out of date usb n adapter. The five year out of date adapters that are in the DV6 model from hp are the only ones that work with earlier versions of fedora. Is there a fix for this. In order to get wireless internet on fedora 20 and higher you need an out of date usb adapter. Otherwise, a wired ethernet is mandatory and required. Even if you were to update fedora 20 and higher, it still doesn't work. I want to use fedora 25, but I don't want to use an out of date adapter. The only way I can use fedora 25 is on my dv6.

Tags
fedora, wifi