Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th November 2012, 01:15 PM
arthurhanlon Offline

linuxfirefox
Local dev environment setup?

I'm currently in the progress of trying a full time swith to Linux, been using on and off for the past 12 years but with the dawn on Windows 8 I think now might be the time to at least give it a go full time. It's going pretty well for the most part and the only thing I am really missing is the Adobe Suite but I'm hopefull that Adobe port this to Linux soon as it seem to be gaining a strong foothold in the desktop arena. I realise I can also run this in WINE.

I also realised that I am a KDE man through and through right back from the days of Mandrake. Not sure if this a good or bad thing

One question I do have is, on Windows, I use the XAMP stack for web dev and am wondering what would be the best way to set up this stack on Fedora. In that I mean should I simply install the required packages and use the root location for files /var/www/html or should I enable userdirs or perhaps there is a better way to set it all up?

Just so you know, I'm not asking for a guide on how to set this all up, I can do that and if I get stuck there are a wedge of guides to clear those points up. It's more just trying to get a rough idea of how others have set theirs up.

Thanks in advance,
Arthur
Old 26th November 2012, 10:29 PM
Dies Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Local dev environment setup?

Sorry, I'm not a web developer. But I do find it hard to believe that this forum doesn't have several of them.

In any case, it would be a shame if you didn't get a good answer so *bump*
Old 1st December 2012, 08:09 PM
arthurhanlon Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Local dev environment setup?

I guess there are no web devs out there then, ah well.

Tags
dev, environment, local, setup