Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 25th April 2010, 03:07 AM
kweisen Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
Re: Going back to Windows (sadly)

Thanks for the ideas - I may try them. I'm about to try the upgrade (or maybe a clean install) from Fedora 10 to 12. I did this a while ago, spent the usual headaches get it up and running. But I had to re-install 10 after a hardware crash. And I do like Fedora because of it's 'challenges'.
Old 25th April 2010, 03:10 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxfedoramozilla

use what works for you
I'm sure you have enough other problems then fighting with your OS!

run XP and pop up fedora, mint, Zbuntu, whatever-ux in a VM when you want and you're good to go

some times fedora is to total PITA, I should be a Windows user but I just can't stand the though anymore

that's my 2 cents, good luck
Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 25th April 2010, 04:00 PM
DougFordham Offline

macosfirefox

Mark,

Sounds like you have a number of things going on with your situation; and, folks here have provided some feasible potential solutions. You also said that "I do like Fedora because of it's 'challenges'".

If such is the case, there is nothing wrong with going the "eclectic" route and using different OSes for what they're worth to you dependent upon your objectives.

As Dan said, the computer is a tool (or toy in some cases) that allows each of use to realize goals and objectives; either for work or entertainment; and, Pat's advice to "use what works for you" is sound advice.

Don't mix the "work" -- need to get stuff done because it affects the bottom line -- system with the "bleeding-edge/entertainment/hobby" system; I personally use a MacBook Pro for those things that have to get done business-wise, coupled with VMware Fusion which allows me to run Windows for those requirements that just have to be run under Windows -- as well as providing the capability to have multiple Linux (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.), and BSD systems for research and simply because I like "messing" around with them.

Find the right mix for you -- the technology is there; VMware, XEN, KVM, etc. -- as it would be a shame for you not to use all the knowledge and experience that you have with Linux; even if it is only for your own personal entertainment value.

Sorry for what may seem as a rant.

Best Regards,

Doug
Old 25th April 2010, 05:15 PM
Stanca Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There are over 300 active official Linux GNU distros yet,it's really impossible for your system to not find a working and suitable one.I'm multibooting Fedora 13 beta,Ubuntu 10.4 RC and Elive 2.0 Topaz on my old cheap system without any issue almost.

Fedora 16 Verne x86_64,
Linux user # 492560
"This is Linux land.In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!":cool:
Old 28th April 2010, 01:42 PM
jkearney Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My friend, do not abandon what is good and right. First try this individual (kyle.gonzales@gmail.com). He works for Red Hat and was a great help in my quest to become a Fedora Ambassador.
Old 28th April 2010, 02:20 PM
forkbomb Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkearney View Post
My friend, do not abandon what is good and right. First try this individual (kyle.gonzales@gmail.com). He works for Red Hat and was a great help in my quest to become a Fedora Ambassador.
Who said anything about wanting to become an Ambassador? What does that have to do with anything?

Ease up, man. The OP didn't say he was giving up the search for the fountain of youth or something -- just that distro xyz doesn't work for him, to which several folks mentioned trying other distros.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:34 PM
hellfire[bg] Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I would suggest Debian. I never installed pulseaudio on it and i never had any problems with that. I never had problems with nvidia either (but i never had problems with nvidia on any distribution). If you are coming from Fedora you may find Debian a little rough around the edges but after you tweak it a little it is very nice. I would recommend Debian stable with backports for your most important packages or Debian testing which should be pretty stable as well.