Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th November 2009, 02:32 AM
BurningFool Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Exclamation F12 Install: Ramdisk: Incomplete write

So after deciding to upgrade the existing fedora install on my laptop from 11 to 12, I decided to use the preupgrade method. After grappling with the boot space issue by clearing out an old kernel that was deemed safe to remove by the python script on the preconfig wiki page and then using tune2fs, I left the computer to do it's thing, periodically checking back on it.

I come back to my computer, and after an apparent restart I see this message spat out at me:

Code:
ramdisk: incomplete write (3537 ! 5123)
write error
kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)
I need this laptop up and running for tomorrow and I would appreciate any help given. I have a Fedora 11 live CD running on the laptop and there seems to be an extra 210 filesystem present with the folders efi, grub, lost+found in there, as well as some config files, elf-memtest86+-400, what seems to be .img file amongst other things. If necessary, I can provide a screenshot.

Again, any help is much appreciated
Old 18th November 2009, 08:46 AM
slaboure Offline

windows_7firefox
Hello,

I have the EXACT same issue and went through the exact same steps (preupgrade, boot issue, upgrade preupgrade to 1.1.3, run python script, restart, install F12) and finally got the message you describe at the end.

(One comment though. As you might know, there is a bug with preupgrade which makes it quit with an error message if you resume a preupgrade process you had stop. The only way to restart seems to be to clean the yum cache for pre-upgrade. Which I did. However, what happened is that during the pre-upgrade process it downloaded NEWER releases of some of the RPM (such as java-openjdk, file-libs, file, etc.) and when the PC restarted and went through the actual update process, it was expecting the "old" files (i.e. the files part of the "official" F12 release). So I had to copy those files (about 15) using a USB key, one after the other, to make sure the process kept going.)
Old 18th November 2009, 03:26 PM
ajm_hall Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Possible workaround

I had the same problem and managed to get my machine booting this way:

I downloaded and burnt the live image to a CD. I then booted my machine from the CD. I then mounted the encrypted volume and after some fiddling managed to mount the boot partition. I backed up the all the contents of the mounted boot partition to a USB key in case I screwed up. Then I copied the files (omitting) the directories from the live CD boot partition to the mounted boot partition. With little hope I rebooted and it worked.
Old 20th November 2009, 01:14 PM
dhorns Offline

macosfirefox
Same Problem

Hi, I would like to follow your method of mounting the boot disk and copying over the F12 files from the live CD, but once I have booted from the CD and mounted the file system, I still can't find the boot drive to mount.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 20th November 2009, 02:01 PM
ajm_hall Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
More information

Set your language/keyboard layout as required
Login
Start Terminal (Applications/System Tools/Terminal)
Create a mount point for the boot partition
su
mkdir /mnt/boot

Start the Palimpsest utility (Applications/System Tools/Disk Utility)
Find the boot partition (should be around 210MB and remember the device (in my case /dev/sda1)

Mount the partition
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

And the boot partition should be in /mnt/boot.

FYI: I copied the following files:

initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.img
config-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686
System.map-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686
vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686

Now here is a little issue, I also remember running /usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd before I copied the files. I've just repeated the exercise to refresh my memory before posting, and it does change the initramfs file in the live /boot partition.

The issue is that I don't know if this is what caused everything to start working again.

Hope this helps someone.

Andy
Old 20th November 2009, 02:36 PM
dhorns Offline

macosfirefox
Problem Solved!

Hi Andy,

That did the trick! Thanks a bunch. I broke two of my Dell workstations that way and was going crazy trying to fix the problem. The strange thing is that the prescribed process worked on my hp netbook. But I didn't follow the EXACT same procedure.

Anyway thanks again!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:59 PM
slaboure Offline

windows_7firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm_hall View Post
Set your language/keyboard layout as required
Login
Start Terminal (Applications/System Tools/Terminal)
Create a mount point for the boot partition
su
Hope this helps someone.

Andy
That worked Andy, thanks.

Still, my system is a x86_64 image (all of my /boot files were .x86_64 files, not i686) but the live image files are i686. Is this a problem? will it create problem if my /boot files are i686 and then load a x86_64 based OS?

Cheers,

sacha

EDIT: update, actually, it *seems* to boot but hangs sometimes during the process, once the blue fedora logo is almost entirely white... So, I am still not able to boot, but I can go slight further.

Last edited by slaboure; 23rd November 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:12 PM
ajm_hall Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
errrm...

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. If it boots, then at least you are half way there. I have an x86_64 system but I'm hanging back updating it because it is my main development machine and really have no time to fix it if it screws up. I'd guess that 'uname -r' will tell you if you are actually running a 64 bit kernel once booted, if not then I'd try re-running the fix from an x86_64 live CD. - http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/tor...4-Live.torrent. Good luck, and please post your results here.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:32 PM
slaboure Offline

windows_7firefox
OK, so I have removed rhgb quiet from grub to see what's going on and this is the last message set I see:

request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

then the system hangs during 2 minutes then I get a "task khelper blocked for more than 120 seconds" and a call trace.

any idea what leads to the runaway loop modprobe?
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:56 PM
ajm_hall Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
First thing

The first thing I'd try is the x86_64 live CD, rather than use the i686 images..
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:35 PM
slaboure Offline

windows_7firefox
yes, thanks, that worked! System was indeed lost in dual i686/x86_64 mode!

Thanks ajm_hall,

sacha
Old 26th November 2009, 05:22 PM
alfoxyz Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I also have this same exact issue: RAMDISK: incomplete write..... I wonder if there will be some kind of 'patch CD ' released to fix the issue?

Tags
fedora 12, kernel panic, mbr?, write error