Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th March 2013, 10:49 PM
v00d00 Offline

linuxmozilla
Font Problem with Fedora 18

I did a minimal install from a BKO ISO last night, as something i want to test needs a newer glibc than CentOS 6.4 provides. i havent used Fedora since maybe 8.

Anyways im trying to create a really lightweight install of Fedora, ie, no Gnome/KDE bloat.

I have had problems getting SLiM to work (and have abandoned that after making it impossible to boot into Fedora), im currently running fluxbox directly from runlevel 3 via startx (i will work out how to make lxdm or lightdm work when i calm down a bit).

So to my problem. I have a font problem. Basically, their is a weird font being used in firefox for the menus, not in the actual browser window. This makes me think its a system font config problem. I have tried installing TTF fonts, tried font-tweak-tool, tried tweaking /etc/fonts/local.conf, installed the x11 100dpi and 75dpi font rpms, and all to no avail. I dont think the problem is gnome related since it isnt installed.

Here are a couple of screenshots, to illustrate things.

Also at the same time is their a way to make these fonts a bit bigger, like force them to use liberation-sans-12.

Im hoping someone has an idea as after reading about 20 or so pages on google, im still hitting a wall. It wasnt even this hard in Arch.

So thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

For the Icecat/Firefox/Thunderbird ive discovered a dirty little hack. Its possible to force fonts and styles by creating/editing userChrome.css inside the chrome/ directory.

Code:
gedit ~/.mozilla/icecat/abcdefgh.default/chrome/userChrome.css
Its obviously a way of forcing overrides, but the original problem still exists, but for now this makes using Icecat, tolerable.

Registered Linux User #314489
Old 17th March 2013, 11:11 PM
joncr Offline

macossafari
Re: Font Problem with Fedora 18

Well, that's certainly pretty ugly, eh?

Putting local.conf in /etc/fonts is deprecated as of late. Try creating ~/.config/fontconfig and put the same file in there as "fonts.conf".

Be sure to do "fc-cache -fv" when you add fonts.

Freetype, Cairo, libXft are there?
Old 17th March 2013, 11:27 PM
v00d00 Offline

linuxmozilla

I have added all the fonts i know of. I have run fc-cache -fv. ~/.config/fontconfig exists, and now contains a fonts.conf.

So far none of that has worked.

Adding this to userChrome.css has made it possible to use Icecat once again.

Code:
/* Global UI font */
* { font-size: 12pt !important;
  font-family: LiberationSans !important; 
}
Its probably a really dirty way of doing it, but its made it functional for me, so im not complaining.

Now all i need to do is fix the font sizes in all my other apps.

Old 18th March 2013, 01:27 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00 View Post
Also at the same time is their a way to make these fonts a bit bigger, like force them to use liberation-sans-12.
Your second graphic appears to be gkrellm. You can set up the fonts and sizes it will use by
opening the GKrellM Configuration window, selecting Themes, then the Fonts tab.
Old 18th March 2013, 01:13 PM
v00d00 Offline

linuxmozilla

Thanks, ive never really done that before. Just installed my favourite theme and its worked.

For now overriding Icecat/Firefox/Thunderbird via the css seems to be the easiest solution to the main problem.

Tags
fedora, font, problem