Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2009, 05:31 PM
forkbomb Offline

linuxgentoofirefox
Does rebooting make anybody else nervous? (self-righteous rant)

So I just rebooted the CentOS server for the first time in... forever. Think it was about three months. Figured I better update the kernel and openssh at the very least.

A sizeable portion of the file system is encrypted. / and /boot aren't encrypted, but three (well, really four) mount points are on LUKS volumes - my storage partition, /home, and /tmp. So, of course, I need a monitor connected when I reboot it.

Except this time, things screwed up. I also have an external hard drive hooked up to it (for backups) - this happens to be LUKS-encrypted as well. I had an fstab entry specified, but the noauto option set. This was the first time I rebooted since encrypting the external and making an fstab entry for it.

Except... this time, on reboot, the OS wanted to run checks on all the fstab entries. Which meant it wanted to check my external's encrypted file system too. Since I didn't encrypt the drive at install time, when the boot process runs luksOpen on my other partitions, it doesn't run it on the external. Meaning that the system was trying to run fsck on a nonexistent dev node (as luksOpen hadn't been run to open the cryptosystem).

And, for some reason, / was mounted ro (even though mount told me it was rw). So I had to fire up the old LiveCD to comment out the offending line for my external in fstab. After that, order was restored. VMware Server 2's reconfiguration even went off without a hitch (that's a first).

Grr. Rant over.

Rebooting makes me annoyed. Bad enough that I have to hook a monitor up to it. Anybody else detest rebooting as much as I do?
Old 10th October 2009, 07:53 PM
SteveGYBE Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Ooh I don't know, in Corporate world it can be a useful tool of Defensive System Administration - before you do anything on a server, reboot it and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, you done nuffin' - It wasn't you that broke it!
Old 10th October 2009, 08:21 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Ya know, it's all in a guy's perspective. Back when I was running Windows, I shut down the system every night, and usually rebooted at least once during the day, if not forced by a system crash, then for good measure just to avoid one. Now ... when either a thunderstorm or an update (Or the occasional lock-up. This sorry busted excuse for a motherboard barfs once in a while on concurrent video play and disk access.) forces me to reboot ... I get annoyed as the devil.

<....>
Old 10th October 2009, 08:26 PM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Like Steve, I reboot it before I touch it, and I reboot it after I've finished. I know I shouldn't have to but we all know what 'thought' did and I've sat in that seat once already.